Cell Phones

Blues_82

[ QUOTE ]

does anybody have Cingular or anybody big around here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the Richlands/Tazewell/Bluefield area have digital phone service providers? Everytime I go back home my cell phone clunks over to Roam-Analog after passing through the Big Walker Mountain Tunnel and doesn't come back until I'm heading the opposite direction.

I use SunCom.

[ QUOTE ]

yeah i have Alltel and i have digital service, for that matter i think CellOne does too but when u go out of your coverage area u probably do go to Analog...suncom, isnt that AT&T?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep it is a AT&T company. Could just be my digital service doesn't work on the other side of that tunnel ... but everytime coming down that hill after the tunnel headin' toward Bastian ... ROAM / ANALOG lights up everytime.

I can tell you that Alltell is currently in the process of buying US Cellular, which means their coverage in Southern WV would greatly improve if they gain rights to the cell towers in this area.

US Cellular is the only cell company in the country that owns cell towers in Southern WV along the Virginia stateline from Mercer northward toward the eastern panhandle. Once they began building and built their towers the US government put an end to the contruction of anymore towers in this area b/c of environmental concerns.

[ QUOTE ]

haha yeah that sucks...u cant send or receive text msgs when your in analog either, if SunCom is an AT&T subsidiary i wonder why it didnt change to Cingular

[/ QUOTE ]

Well normally I'm never in analog - I'm only in the Richlands area no more than 6 times a year. I'm curious, too.