Blazers produce strong showing in Penn.

Bluefield_Rules

Looks like a first half injury to Dexter Moore put the breaks on a perfect run through the event. Nonetheless, it's nice to see the players doing well during the summer and playing together as a team. It'll help them be even better come basketball season.

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2005/06/23/sports/03thursblazers.txt

Blazers place second in tourney

Posted: Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 - 11:27:53 pm EDT

Staff report

KUTZTOWN, Pa. - The Bluefield Blazers reached the championship game of the Athletes for Better Education basketball tournament on Sunday, only to lose in the title contest to Laurel Fire, 60-58. The Blazers, sponsored by the Bluefield Housing Authority, finished the tourney 5-1.

The Blazers advanced through the 12-team field with wins of 79-31 over the Pennsylvania Jaguars; 56-49 over the C.C. Knights; 56-45 over Christlike; 60-55 over Laurel Fire (Md.); and 63-60 in the semifinal game against the Urban Connection of Pennsylvania.

Dexter Moore hit the game-winning 3-pointer to beat the Urban Connection.

Maurice Jordon and his brother Malik Tinsley led the Blazers in the championship encounter, after Moore left the game with a first-half injury.

The Blazers team includes Tremayne Matthews, John Payne, Kyle Hammond, J.T. Powell, Mark Page, Ansel Ponder, Jevon Carpenter, Chance Cottrell, Eric McClanahan and Tarius Palmero.

The tournament at Kutztown State University included squads from Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey and New York.

that's a pretty good outlook for the bluefield basketball fans for this up coming season

i honestly believe should no injuries occur to bluefield during football season or even during basketball season that they will be contenders for the AA title this yr in b'ball

does anyone happen to know what the competition that bluefield face was exactly like?

i'd say by tehm score they had to be pretty tough

anyways b'ball season should be interesting

Westside has a basketball scrimmage this Saturday at Westside teams involved are gonna be WS, James Monroe, Gilbert, and C-ville

i personally wouldnt have minded to see some other teams rather than Gilbert and Chapmanville but none the less it should be an interesting game come Saturday

might be a first glance at what to expect from WS come B'ball season!

My friend plays on the blazers. He says that the team they lost to im the championship game. They beat earlier in the tournament...And they only lost by 2 points. So i say bluefield high school will be one of these schools you have to look out for in the near future in basketball!

Next year's Bluefield basketball team has a chance to be very special b/c the talent will be plenty. What worries me other than injuries is coaching. After watching the state semi-final game in Charleston and talking with a couple of the players from the team I have to wonder if Gilliard will be able to put the pieces together. One thing is certain, Bluefield should not play one second of zone defense next year with the athletes and bench we'll have.

yeah BR as we've talked before i was very surprised with how Gilliard played his team against WS, i was really worried about playing them, but when all the beavs did was put up 3 after 3 after 3, i was like wow this is shocking, i believe had Bluefield something more than what they did, they could have kept the game close if not even have won it, i say for you fans sake that Gilliard learns from his mistakes and does better this yr when he gets to states....

I think my senior year (2 seasons from now) is when we'll win it. Or have the best shot to win it. I think we'll be pretty good next year. But i think the expirance will help players out like hammond,moore,cotrell in the senior year. and ponder,McClanahan and others in the junior season..

you could be right, experience helps out a lot

i believe the bluefield squad for this coming season will have a good bit of experience under their belt

Westside scrimmaged on Saturday against 3 other teams (Champmanville, James Monroe, and Gilbert) they beat C-ville and JM fairly easy but struggled with Gilbert, beating them only by 6

but i hear Gilbert is gonna be tough, they have a Miller boy (Allen Miller's young brother) that is suppose to be a tough character for them this yr from what i hear

whether its the fact that Gilbert was actually that good or whether Westside may have been tired or whatever i dunno, cause i wasnt there

however i heard WS gave 110% in each game today and was quick on both ends, shot the ball well, and really hustled

against popular belief in Wyo. Co. i believe WS will be just as tough competition if not tougher for Wyo. East this yr in sectionals than last yr

but that's just my opinion

all in all heard it was an interesting day @ the WS scrimmage

i believe the up coming b'ball season will be another interesting one like last yr and am willing to say anybody could end up winning it this yr

• 3 weeks later...