Biggest sleeper(s)? Biggest bust(s)?

Bluefield_Rules

I'm looking for some opinions on a team(s) that few people are expecting much out of, but has/have the talent to surprise people and make a serious run during postseason play. Insight from both WV and VA welcomed and wanted.

On that same note, I'm also looking for some opinions on a team(s) that big things are expected of, but the hype might be too much. Again, insight from both states is welcomed and wanted.

I definitely think the Hurley Hype Machine will actually be right this year and the rebels will have a beautiful 6-4 season. Its all been building up to this season since the rebels declared to the Bristol paper in '03 that they were going to have a 10-0 season.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Haysi has good talent, but the only way I see them having another 9-1 or 8-2 season will be if Coach Colley will get it out of his players. Jones will be their strong point, but the only serious threat.

Jones is tough but Haysi has some other veterans coming back as well...Wade Sperow and Jake Colley were the only significant losses in my opinion. Speedy Zach Counts we be coming back after missing last season with a broken leg. Also watch for Lance Compton to become a defensive star this season...don't be surprised with an 8-2 or even 9-1 Haysi team this season.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

You cant win Games on just Off. Jones is their only threat in my opinion. Zounts hasent seen much playing time in his career due to injuries. there D will only have one True veteren in Jones. They lost a number of "tuff" d-linemen and good blocking linemen. And how are they going to have a passing threat like they did last year with Colley to Yates? Their Qb has never took a snap on the varsity level.

But will they have enough depth/talent to take on Giles, Radford and Floyd?

And speaking of the TRD, will Glenvar actually live up to all the hype on VA Preps and field a decent team? They have been saying that for the past 3 seasons now lol.

If I'm not mistaken, hasn't a Colley run the Haysi offense for the last 7-8 years (not counting Papa Colley as coach)? I seem to think Robby graduated and Jacob stepped in the very next season.

Regardless, those are big shoes to fill. The kid who backed Colley up last year seemed lost against Hurley (granted, he had to come in for Colley who set out a series or two due to his ankle). Of course, Haysi's offense has been tooled around the talent of two Colley's for the last couple years. It will be tough to adjust a team to not having that type of player helming the offense on the field.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

To note what you just said DJR the kid that backed Colley last year wont be the QB this year. The kid they have comming in hasent taken a varsity snap. That will more than likely take a toll on the OFF.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

That isnt what I assume. This came from Counts himself. Lance Compton will be the QB this year. He said that Compton is the only one to have a chance at it. And he said "Quote- He hasent taken a snap since Jv."

Lance will most likely be the favorite to inherit the starting position assuming Kevin Viers doesn't decide to play. Either way it may surprise some but it could be a positive to have a new QB due to Colley likely committing more to the running game which means more carries for the talented trio of Ryan Jones, Zach Counts, and Elijah Owens.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

No actually Colley didnt commit more to the run game. It was in the Bristol paper a while back and had his carreer stats. It was 60 TD passes and somewhere around 5,500 yards passing.