Offensive Lineman

TheAlpha

All SWVA football fans realize -- to SOME degree -- that the running backs that are favorably mentioned in newspaper clips DEPEND on their lineman and even their fullback, in some cases.

Let the members here think back on the lineman (and others) that made the records possible. As a Tornado fan and semi-recent grad, I'm thinking of the O-LINEMAN and blocking backs that graduated in the last 15 years. You know, those young men that broke a direction, pulled a direction, or lead the direction which made it all possible.

Share, please.

Who are the ones you'd like clearing a alley for YOU?

With out a doubt from Richlands it would be Travis Beverly,Benny Sparks and jamie shelton aka Quake.Chris Berry.Benny was way undersized but he packed a punch,if i remember right he wrestled @ in the 150's. Bev was just a beast @ tackle and Quake is one the best Centers I've seen in a long time.

Ask Jeremy McCommons that question! His junior year he had five seniors paving holes. LT-Jarrrod Dye LG-Riley Stoots C-Robbie Honaker RG-Brian "MUTA" Mitchell RT-Keenan Bowman.

He went form roughly 1700 yards and 20 TD's (approximate) to around 400-500 yards the following year. Honaker, Mitchell, and Bowman were hard to top. But, The 92 OL had "BIG" Sam Barnett who could have played in D1 and Yancey Tabor who in my opinion had the finest technique of any lineman I've ever seen at RHS. Can't forget about Chris Crawford either or Adam Yost.

[ QUOTE ]

Ask Jeremy McCommons that question! His junior year he had five seniors paving holes. LT-Jarrrod Dye LG-Riley Stoots C-Robbie Honaker RG-Brian "MUTA" Mitchell RT-Keenan Bowman.

He went form roughly 1700 yards and 20 TD's (approximate) to around 400-500 yards the following year. Honaker, Mitchell, and Bowman were hard to top. But, The 92 OL had "BIG" Sam Barnett who could have played in D1 and Yancey Tabor who in my opinion had the finest technique of any lineman I've ever seen at RHS. Can't forget about Chris Crawford either or Adam Yost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, most definitely. I want to add one thing concerning ALL the McCommons' games I saw when he had some of those big lineman up front. That line could run that TRAP play like nobody's business. McCommons' also benefited by having a heck of a FB too. The one I'm thinking of is Lester. I can't remember his first name for the life of me. He could lay a shiver on someone.

The Fullback was Jason Lester aka J-BO. He was as essential as the lineman and was also a senior that year. He ran many of those trap plays (he gutted Powell Valley at Bullit Park that year) J-Bo was just as big as us lineman. I am very proud that you could remember those trap plays. Because I am one of the two Offensive Guards (Mitchell) Most of the trapees never seen it coming. But it took all five to make it work.