Beavers' QB learning many roles.

Bluefield_Rules

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2005/08/18/sports/01thubeavers.txt

Beavers' QB is learning many roles

Posted: Wednesday, Aug 17, 2005 - 10:44:39 pm EDT

By TOM BONE

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD - J.T. Powell is climbing the learning curve.

The Bluefield High School football player is assuming the big roles expected of a quarterback for the team which won the state Class AA championship last fall.

Asked about his progress during the Beavers' photo day Wednesday morning, Powell said, "I'm not pleased yet. I've still got a lot of work to do, a lot of improvement."

Powell shows all the signs of having the mechanics down when it comes to passing and handing off. However, there's more to the position of signal-calling than mechanics, a fact Powell and his head coach Fred Simon know very well.

"He's accepted the leadership role," said Simon. "He's trying hard."

Powell said he has been developing his ability to lead the team since the first practice on Aug. 1. He said that the process rose to a different level since the team's first scrimmage game on Saturday at Mitchell Stadium.

In the huddle, he knew what his new responsibility was "when people started respecting me, and telling me to get everything together, and looking up to me ... ."

Assistant coach Fred Simon II said, "He's a smart kid. He works for perfection. He's been a pleasant surprise for us."

Simon said that in addition to Powell's ability to throw the ball, he has "good feet" for executing plays in the backfield.

"It's coming along pretty good," Powell said. The passing game, he said, "is coming along great. (Now) it's a matter of reading defenses, and knowing where my receivers are going to be at.

"It's all about timing - everybody doing what they're supposed to do, being where they're supposed to be."

The Beavers will get their next chance to assess their timing today at 3 p.m. in Charleston, in a last preseason scrimmage game against Point Pleasant.

Powell was asked what the team's goal was for its second scrimmage.

"To come out and play - however long we're playing - to the best we can. And everybody be intense," he said.

The regular season debut against Graham High School is Aug. 26.

JT will be the X-factor against Graham. If he doesn't turn the ball over then Bluefield will be in the great shape. If he turns the ball over like he did against Nitro in the first two quarter last weekend then Beaver is in trouble. He has to make wise choices from knowing when to run or throw to not forcing a pass against double or triple coverage.