So...What was Steele's reason to vote against?

BeaverHokie

Now that the contract has been approved 4-1 by the Tazewell County School Board, and there still was 1 dissenting vote by Mr. Steele, I'm curious to know WHAT was said in the meeting.

I've heard before that the 4 year contract was a sticking point. Is this THE reason given to vote against? Was in the amount of the contract? Something else?

It's because he doesn't think it's "fair" for the TCSB to give Graham 34,000 a year to play football that everyone else in the county doesn't get. What the moron fails to realize is this, how much does it cost to turn on the lights at each stadium every friday night? A bundle I am sure. How much does it cost to maintain? How much does each stadium cost to clean up after each game? By the time it is all said and done the amounts are probably cheaper at Mitchell Stadium. Mr. Steele, you picked the wrong people to pick a fight with my friend. And just remember you started this fight, and we are going to finish it.

He also stated he wanted that money, the $34000, to be put in a fund to build a stadium for Graham and name it in honor of Coach Carlock.

That statement is political hogwash!!! He doesn't want Graham to have anything...PERIOD!!! SEE SPOT RUN AND TRY TO GET OUT OF THE MESS HE'S CREATED!!! Does that moron know many years at $34000/year it would take to build a stadium that could seat even 5,000 fans???? The TCSB would be paying for that for many, many years!!! Word to the wise Spot...drop this whole issue for good...

[ QUOTE ]

He also stated he wanted that money, the $34000, to be put in a fund to build a stadium for Graham and name it in honor of Coach Carlock.

That statement is political hogwash!!! He doesn't want Graham to have anything...PERIOD!!! SEE SPOT RUN AND TRY TO GET OUT OF THE MESS HE'S CREATED!!! Does that moron know many years at $34000/year it would take to build a stadium that could seat even 5,000 fans???? The TCSB would be paying for that for many, many years!!! Word to the wise Spot...drop this whole issue for good...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd mentioned in another post...it would cost at least $500,000 to build a basic stadium for Graham to use. That's about 16 or 17 years worth of rent on Mitchell Stadium.

Would Mr. Steele like to pursue the bond issue to do this? He'll need to buy a $500,000 or $600,000 bond, with a 20 year repayment schedule. And he was complaining about a 4 year contract?

And really...a $500,000 stadium is NOT going to be big enough for the Beaver-Graham game. I was browsing some HS stadiums yesterday for some reference, and some of the new ones in Texas (granted, they go all out) run anywhere from $2 million to $5 million for a 10,000-15,000 seat stadium.

I take it Mr. Steele is also blind or dimwitted. Does he think Ernie Hicks Stadium takes care of itself? Does the grass get cut, replaced, and repaired on its own? Does the light bill get magically paid? The man forgets it costs MONEY to take care of a stadium. With Mitchell, Graham pays the rent, and EVERYTHING else is taken care of.

I'd never begrudge Graham if they wanted to build their own stadium on the Virginia side, I just don't like seeing a complete ignoramus like Mr. Steele muddy the issue when he apparently has so little knowledge.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure most if not all of the labor to maintain the county stadiums is provided by volunteers and/or coaches, and even players themselves. Some of the RHS players were pouring concrete at EHS just last week. Electricity and water of course cost money but field maintenance, cleanup, ect. are not a great cost to the county. Of course, unexpected major repairs like the structural work at EHS a few years ago are a large expense the county never has to worry about at Mitchell.

[ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I'm pretty sure most if not all of the labor to maintain the county stadiums is provided by volunteers and/or coaches, and even players themselves. Some of the RHS players were pouring concrete at EHS just last week. Electricity and water of course cost money but field maintenance, cleanup, ect. are not a great cost to the county. Of course, unexpected major repairs like the structural work at EHS a few years ago are a large expense the county never has to worry about at Mitchell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maintenance isn't a HUGE cost, but there is a cost to it, same for the elctricity, and any capital upgrades (ADA standards, for example).

There can be some great pride in maintaining a stadium, and volunteers can be vital. Still, the cost to maintain a stadium isn't $0.00/year, and when Mr. Steele pontificates, I hope he keeps things like that in mind.

Also...I just thought of this...several years back, the Shott Foundation spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on Mitchell Stadium upgrades. Private charitable foundations are great, but a stadium can't count on them.

Mr. Steele, wherever you are, I suggest you make sure to have a reasonable, well thought out PLAN before shooting down the status quo. You were outnumbered 4-1 this time, and in 4 years, you may not be around to do this again. I bet Tazewell County voters will be watching.