an interesting comment by the Westside website guy

RenegadeFan

[ QUOTE ]

Renegades Lose Opener to Liberty

First of all let me eat a little crow here. Yesterday I said I thought we should be ranked in the top ten in Class AA. Last night, on the field, we proved that we didn't belong there, YET..

The Liberty Raiders had a little luck and played a lot of hard nosed, clean football last night. The Lucky part came twice when they were able to spike the ball with 1/10 of one second left in the first half and then were able to punch it in for a score.(The spiking part was lucky the score was skill) The second bit of luck they had was when their running back broke free at the 10 yard line only to fumble on the 5 but the ball bounced right back inot his hands and he grabbed it and continued into the endzone for their final score. The hard nosed part was all night. Especially in the 4th quarter when the Renegades had the ball in Liberty territory and were unable to score losing it on downs twice, once on the 20 yard line.

The first period was a scorelss battle of defense's. The Liberty Raiders fumbled the ball twice and the Renegades fumbled once but the offense's were unable to take advantage of the opportunities. The second period was much the same without the fumbles until the end of the quarter when the Raiders were able to march down the field and score with no time left on the clock. The PAT was no good and Liberty took a 6-0 lead at halftime. Westside took the opening kickoff of the second half right down the field and Cory Morgan scored the first Renegade touchdown on the new field at the 9:10 mark. The PAT was no good and the score was tied at 6-6. The defense had a big breakdown on the next Liberty possession and they were able to break a 46-yard TD run with 6:34 to go in the quarter to regain the lead. The PAT was good this time and the lead was 8 ar 14-6. The Renegade offense was stymied again by Liberty and after a punt the Raiders took it in for another score to widen their lead to 16 at 22-6 with 3:48 to go in the third. That was the end of the scoring in the 3rd quarter so entering the 4th quarter we were in a deep hole. The old sayin goes "If your in a deep hole , STOP digging." The Renegades did indeed stop digging but were unable to crawl out of that hole. That's not to say they didn't try. With about one minute left in the 3rd quarter Justin Sizemore took it in for a score on a fourth and one from the 6 yard line. He also took it in for the PAT and we only trailed 22-16 with the entire last quarter to go. That would be our last score of the night however. We did get into Raider territory last in the game, three times, but lost the ball on downs twice(once on the 20) and threw a interception with 7 seconds to go in the game on a hail mary pass attempt. A couple of fumbles, a couple of interceptions, some dropped passes and some defensive breakdowns led to our defeat. Along with that hard nosed play of the Liberty Raiders.

Before I close this out I want to say something about the coaching of the Renegades. In this day and age when people don't want to take responsibility for their actions you can be very proud of the coaching staff of the Renegades. After the game Coach Mullins, while addressing his players, took full responsitility for the loss. He did not blame his players for the loss even though he did not run the ball once, he did not throw the ball once and he did not play defense on one play. I give kudos to Coach Silas Mullins and his staff, Noel Cogar, Nick Cook and Darren Thomas for a job well done. The coaching staff will continue to coach and the players, I am sure, will respond and improve on their preformance. Next week it's on to a away game with Gilbert. I doubt I will be able to make it but hope to be able to listen on the radio, if it is broadcast. God Bless

[/ QUOTE ]

comments??