Drum Corps International on ESPN2

bluekick

Tuesday (9/6/05) at 10:00 DCI finals will be aired on ESPN2 (recorded 8/13). This is a must-see for anyone who is even remotely interested in marching band. Richlands has two former members in the competition, one in the 7th place Carolina Crown, and one in the world champion Cadets. The Cadets tied the highest score ever in DCI finals.

ANYONE in ANY marching band should watch it... unreal, these corps are who most bands derive there execution of shows from... Broken down- what most high school bands do is what Drum corps have done in the past.. Anything from marching styles to dances have been passed down by them...some have recieved the styles and such quicker than others... regardless seeing full shows or just highlights, youll enjoy it and it does make you work harder

For those that don't think marching band requires any physical effort:

Keep in mind that drum corps show is somewhere around 10 minutes long.

Tests were run on a dci marcher during practice. His heart rate stayed around 200 bpm during the performance. That is about the equivalent of some one running a 400m dash. His oxygen level was about the same as a well-trained marathon runner throughout the entire performance.

Like I told my nephew, I thought it was as fine a performance as I've seen. I wish you could have played the whole show though. There was a lady sitting near me who was only there to see the show. She was dissapointed that you didn't do the whole thing but she was pleased with what she did see. She said it was "Beautiful".

Now for my "Band Rant". I know this isn't your fault, or any band member's fault, but why on earth can't you all play the pre-game? Even if you don't march across the field (which is my favorite part btw) can't you at least play the anthem on the field and form the funnel for the team to run through? I've already heard "We're not ready" or whatever, but The band goes to the football games to support the football team PERIOD! Nobody there cares if someone is out of step or misses a note. You won't lose points if pre-game isn't perfect. Do you think Coach Mance would hold the entire defense out of the game because they weren't ready, or he didn't have time to teach them the plays? Of course not! Ok, end of rant.

I know... the band does need to be on the field for pregame. We've really just been concentrating on the Tazewell competition, using the games as kind of a dress rehearsal. I just don't think Swartz want to do a half-you-know-what pregame... wants to do all or nothing. Pregame is a whole lot more work and requires a whole lot more time than people think. Usually we can take a week straight just for pregame. Swartz is kinda worried about being ready for Tazewell. We obviously haven't worked up the third song yet and that's really what he's concentrating on. By next week we'll definitely have the third song ready and hopefully pregame.

And some competition changes... Richlands will be traveling to Beckley and George Wythe on the same day this year. That adds a second competition with our favorite band. We also might go to Wise instead of TN High. Elizabethton has dropped out so we might be the only band in our class at the Castle. In that case,we're going to Wise to face the G-Men for a third time.

[ QUOTE ]

I just don't think Swartz want to do a half-you-know-what pregame... wan'ts to do all or nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't think that's fair. Like I said, nobody cares if it's "half-you-know-what pregame". It isn't a competition.

"In that case,we're going to Wise to face the G-Men for a third time."

Bring it on, it will be good for BOTH bands to get out of the area and have impartial judges.

Why does everyone keep referring to your show as "pre-game"? Do you not normally perform at halftime at your football games? I always thought the visiting teams band performed "pre-game" and the home band performed at halftime.

Good luck in competitions! Looking forward to seeing you at George Wythe (Tazewell is just a warm-up and is too soon for everyone to be ready anyway). Just hate that your band will be going through two competitions in one day - that will wear the band members out!

During "pre-game" The RHS band marches across the field playing "Big Blue" and forms a funnel formation. Then the National Anthem, the coin toss, and the team runs out of the tunnel, through the funnel, and through the paper wall the cheerleaders are holding. There is also a fog machine, tornado siren, and baloons. The band is a pretty big part of that and it isn't the same when they don't participate.

i haven't heard much about mance, i know rife didn't want a pep band at basketball games for some reason

and bigD for every one person like yourself that just wishes we were on the field for pregame there are 2 people who aren't afraid to tell us how bad a performance, including pregame, is...and as simple as it sounds freshmen, and some upperclass men just have an insane time stepping of on 1,3,5,7...etc etc b/c they have to think on their own and that blows their mind

[ QUOTE ]

and as simple as it sounds freshmen, and some upperclass men just have an insane time stepping of on 1,3,5,7...etc etc b/c they have to think on their own and that blows their mind

[/ QUOTE ]

That's surprising considering the complexity of the shows the band performs.