Adrian Karsten found dead!

BigD4VT

Back in the day when ESPN came to town to cover the Graham-Beaver rivalry/game for SSA, the host of the show Dan Debenham and sidekick, Adrian Karsten, spent a good portion of their week up here at Fincastle playing golf...both were fairly decent players I might add.

I talked to both quite a bit during the week. Karsten seemed like a nice guy but I got the feeling that there was some sort of "glitch" in his chemical make-up...can't explain it any other way except that maybe he had some sort of depression disorder. There was just something "different" and "distant" about him. I'm sure, even with meds, having to face prison time could have been more than he could handle.

Debenham, on the other hand, was a pompous ass...it was ALL about him, never could walk by a mirror without checking himself out, really enjoyed having his ego stroked.

BTW, if you ever saw the piece they did for SSA, you will notice in the beginning they show Bluefield HS in the distance and then pan down the valley and show you Graham HS...I "gave" them that shot. I told them I had a "great idea" on how to start the piece, took them to the spot and explained what I had envisioned. Debenham and Karsten looked at each other and say "PERFECT!" at the same time. They looked at their camera man, and asked if he could get that shot. Ten minutes later the intro for the piece is finished! My 15 minutes of fame, I guess...

As someone who also has a "glitch" in his chemical makeup (not joking) I can appreciate that story. Facing prison must be an unbearable thought for someone with depression.

As sideline reporters go, I always thought of him as one of the better ones. He seemed to be there every time ESPN covered a VT game.

[ QUOTE ]

Back in the day when ESPN came to town to cover the Graham-Beaver rivalry/game for SSA, the host of the show Dan Debenham and sidekick, Adrian Karsten, spent a good portion of their week up here at Fincastle playing golf...both were fairly decent players I might add.

I talked to both quite a bit during the week. Karsten seemed like a nice guy but I got the feeling that there was some sort of "glitch" in his chemical make-up...can't explain it any other way except that maybe he had some sort of depression disorder. There was just something "different" and "distant" about him. I'm sure, even with meds, having to face prison time could have been more than he could handle.

Debenham, on the other hand, was a pompous ass...it was ALL about him, never could walk by a mirror without checking himself out, really enjoyed having his ego stroked.

BTW, if you ever saw the piece they did for SSA, you will notice in the beginning they show Bluefield HS in the distance and then pan down the valley and show you Graham HS...I "gave" them that shot. I told them I had a "great idea" on how to start the piece, took them to the spot and explained what I had envisioned. Debenham and Karsten looked at each other and say "PERFECT!" at the same time. They looked at their camera man, and asked if he could get that shot. Ten minutes later the intro for the piece is finished! My 15 minutes of fame, I guess...

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about EGO STROKING! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!