The GOAT has retired.

BigBlue02

Jerry Rice the greatest receiver of all time has hung up his cleats. After seeing that he could not beat out darius watts and move up to the 3rd receiver he hung em up. He has 14 NFL records I believe. Heres to ya Jerry.

wow...I figured he was good for at least one more if not two years. He should have just announced he was going to retire after this year and finished it out so people could pay last respects along the way...sad to see him go out like that after all these years, deserved better than that. Kinda like Tony Dorestt and Emmit Smith...when the career winds down you hate to see these guys go to other teams and not be effective anymore.

Rice was a great one, he'll be missed.

I've always had more respect for the guys who get out while their still on top. Like you said, it's tough to watch some of the greats struggle to hold on late in their career. Going to another team to be a backup or whatever. Look at Steve Carlton. One of the greatest pitchers of all time who spent his last several years in the game as a mediocre middle reliever.

He may have been old, but there was few 20 year olds that was in finer shape than Rice. His off season work-out was amazing. And I feel that if you still think you can play, and can prove it on the field, you should be able to. But, the true competitor Rice is, he chose to hang it up, instead of being just a 'roster space' and he done the right thing. He had an amazing career, he gets mad props from me for lasting 20 years! And well all know that in 5 years he'll have his cream color jacket, making his induction speech in Canton.

now he wants to sign a 1 day contract with the 49ers. witch i would love to see but hes timing is bad for them for them to sign him they would have to cut a guy for a day and then sign him back after Jerry goes out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2152424

This was at the end of the article....

[ QUOTE ]

"Those who criticize him for staying so long, though, are wrong. The 49ers let him leave in 2001 at the age of 38 and they were wrong in evaluating where he was at. He caught 83, 92 and 63 passes for the Raiders. More amazing is that he changed positions to make those catches.

Tim Brown had the flanker position that Rice made popular in the West Coast offense. Rice had to go to split end where he lined up directly in front of a cornerback trying to jam him. At flanker, Rice was behind the line of scrimmage and could use his guile and precision to avoid contact from cornerbacks. Rice had to work harder to beat corners at split end and he did.

The consistent Rice was fading in 2004, but he still showed flashes, especially after getting traded from Oakland to Seattle. He had a great Monday night game against the Cowboys, catching eight passes for 145 yards and one touchdown. That game earned him the right to have one more chance.

Had Rice entered the league as a speedster, he might not have lasted until he's 42. Because he was supposedly slow, he could stay longer.

Monday was the right time to retire. His next stop is the Pro Football Hall of Fame in a vote that will take no more than 4.7 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]