Anyone here live on a farm?

BigD4VT

I'm beginning a photography course and would like to get access to some of the scenery in the area. Landscape photography is one of my main interests, and there's no shortage of breathtaking scenery here, but most of it is private property.

If any of you have land in the area, especially places like the Cove and Burkes Garden, and wouldn't mind letting me trapse around with a camera please let me know.

I'm also very interested in photographing old buildings (homes, store fronts, barns, ect.) Even if they are no longer being used and in poor condition.

Lastly, if there are any aspiring models who need pictures please send me a pm. A good portion of the course covers portrature, glamour, and studio work so I'll need to find models willing to work in exchange for prints.

[ QUOTE ]

Lastly, if there are any aspiring models who need pictures please send me a pm. A good portion of the course covers portrature, glamour, and studio work so I'll need to find models willing to work in exchange for prints.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perv!!! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can be a model! When do u want to meet and take pictures?? haha j/k!!

in burkes gardn its really kind of simple to get to. you just keep going straight and youll end up on a gravel road and just follow it to the top. and theres a trail that leads right up to some good overlooks. i actually think its park of the app. trail.

Me and the dogs have been all through tazewell county for years, there's still 1 or 2 places we haven't been with a camera though, such as knob mountain, but we know the country and backroads really well. If you're talking about farm type of scenery then there's a lot of places throughout thompson valley or the cove where you don't really have to be over the fences or on the famlands for that, but that's limiting.

The cove is beautiful but perhaps the best location in the cove is all 1 big private ranch, and I haven't ever bothered talking to those people so I'm not certain what their attitudes would be.

I also know someone who lives in a big house in the cove who's family has been there for over a century and has some clout. He'd be someone to talk to, I don't know the name just have met him and know where he lives, he seems nice enough.

Burkes garden is a difficult place to to gain access to on a lot of the farmlands themselves, but there are some places such as the cemetary in the middle that offer good views, and there are lots of good farm type of landscapes from the roads themselves there throughout.

I enjoy being up high on a hill or the mountaintops themselves looking down.

1 of the keys is going to places overlooking burkes garden or the cove, ect., and along the ridges is to go from a different side of a mountain. If you're willing and able to hike some miles and go up some steep mountainsides there's just about anywhere you can get to overlooking most of these places.

Fall is the time to go and I guess if I'll be here this fall then God willing we'll be going out in the woods a lot, you're welcome to go some of these places with us.

This is 1 from last winter from just off the shoulder of the road going over clinch mountain into poor valley.

48961866.jpg

and 1 from poor valley, just the other side of a fence

48961944.jpg

The mountain in the background is the high country of the beartown wilderness and is the highest point in the region at 4,700 feet.

Then there's places that aren't private that offer a lot of beautiful scenery such as the beartown wilderness area or clinch mountain wildlife managment area where the woods and creeks themselves have endless landscape potential.

Beartown is 1 of the more unique and remote but it's very rugged.

48962813.jpg

That's not the best photo but it's still 1 of my favorites of beartown from afar.

The at trail goes over chestnut ridge which is the high ridge in the photo and is a really beautiful ridge to be up on, and you can access it from below in beartown, or from the upper ridge of burkes garden, the easiest access.

This is along chestnut ridge

48963233.jpg

The bigger mountain which is out of the photo to the left is the high country area in the poor valley photo, and that's where the high area is really unique with some bogs and a lot of spruce and unique plants.

This is up there from last fall

48963455.jpg

That's also garden mountain which overlooks the northwestern corner of burkes garden.

Inbetween in roaring fork, a trout strem that's really beautiful but it'sa rugged hollow and with the access of atv's it seems to be a place to be wary also.

Be wary of trouble makers and meth labs though. spring of '04 me and the dogs stumbled on a bigger meth lab in the beartown wilderness that was inactive, but those places can still be trapped with shotgun shells and all sorts of dangerous or lethal traps. And we had our truck completely trashed up in there overnight in '03.

They also found a body in the eastern side of the clinch mountain wilderness last spring so be prepared especially if you're there or on these more remote backroads at night. I carry a .45 and a .22 marlin papoose in the beartown area and of course have the dogs just to be as safe as possible.

That's warranted to mention about the safety concerns anymore with all the meth.

I don't really consider it much up high on the ridges or mountain tops though. I've never seen anyone up on top of beartown, and only a t hikers along chestnut ridge.

It most down low or remote backcountry roads to be concerned with.

The clinch mountain wildlife management area is in my opinion one of the hidden gems of tazewell county, likely because you can really only access it from the south from the saltville area which might be a different county.

Big tumbling creek in the photo that flows down from it is 1 of the most beautiful creeks in the county in my opinion and tubling lake is really beautiful.

medium.jpg

original.jpg

I'm always up for talking about the lands of tazewell county and sharing photos from there!

Anyhow that said, overall it's 1 of the most beautiful counties for landscpaes in my opinion, and God willing if I'm ever able to do it justice with a better level of photography I hope to.

God bless!!!!!

bluhokie wrote about the ridge I was writing about, chestnut ridge, it's not really hard to locate from burkes garden as he mentioned. Email a message when you hope to go and I'll see about metting you there, I've intended to go back there with the d70, alot of my earlier photos from some of these places were simply photos for memories with a disposable or cheaper digital camera.

Gorgeous pictures! Thanks for taking the time to share them. I spent a good portion of my childhood trout fishing at Big Tumbling but otherwise never explored much of the county.

Safety is a concern for me. I have a severe anxiety disorder so I'm probably limited to public places and private property. I won't do very well at all If I go out into the woods and start thinking about meth labs and boobie traps. I also can't do too much steep hiking right now because of my health.

My aunt has land in Thompson Valley so I'm sure I could go there. Places like the Cove and Abb's Valley would be great as well. Then there is Buchanan County where I pretty much have free reign of the Pea Patch area, but everything is steep there.

Thanks again for the pictures. They're very inspiring.

So did you grow up around saltville? Out of the way as it is, I wouldn't mind living somewhere down through poor valley, tannersville, saltville, ect., or even west of there towards haters? gap, around the western end of those mountains, just somewhere around the wildlife managment area. Of course on tumbling creek itself would be ideal and the dogs would love it and it would overall be safe for our cats.

I also like the benbow area of thompson valley and who wouldn't enjoy living somewhere on some land in the cove.

If you're more concerned about the meth labs the clinch mountain wma is likely really safe, the area where they found that body is at the end of a dead end dirt road on the eastern side of it closer to tannersville, down little tumbling creek, if I'm correct about it being little tumbling. It's within the borders of the cmwma, but it's sort of off by itself to the east, and more remote. They could easily connect that lower eastern section to the main area if they'd simply connect the road between there, they're only a few miles between, but as it is it's around 40 minutes drive all the way around and so that makes the eastern lower end relatively a lot more isolated and less monitored because there's nothing really at the end of that valley but a few farm houses and tannersville is only a few houses. That said it's better if they don't make easier access from different directions as that minimizes the amount of people who go up there.

Anyhow, beartown is the real concern about the meth and I'm more concerned about any traps for my dogs who go sniffing around those places, it's them who'd likely trigger something.

You might could gain access to the top of knob mountain if your aunt has some land in thompson valley as there's a dirtroad that goes up the north side from whitten valley to a firetower on the western end and it overlooks the cove, I haven't been up there in almost 20 years and I recall that's 1 of the most beautiful views in all of tazewell county. It has some big cliffs that you can basically walk out on that overlook the cove and look over to short mountain, ect., and that's big on my list to get up to this fall God willing. So maybe if your aunt knows those who to inquire with, even though they're on the south side of the mountain, maybe they'd permit you to drive up there.

Abbs valley I don't really know, been to jewell ridge though.

I grew up in Richlands but made made trips to Big Tumbling and Little Tumbling during trout season. I remember people lined up shoulder to shoulder on opening day.

I'll talk to my aunt about Knob Mountain. I've actually never been to her farm so I don't know where it is in relation. Maybe you and I can make a trip up there together.

Do you know if it's eastern or western thompson valley, if there is such? I seems divided to me anyhow, there's the gap into it from frog level and I consider anything east of there between rich and clinch mountains eastern and between clinch and knob mountain western.

Regardless, is she's in thompson valley she's close.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Over at Flaning Dam (Spell Check) you can drive right down by at dam down a road called the Spil Wale. A trout stream and is beautiful down there and there is a trail all threw it.

• 1 month later...

Buzzsaw, I need to do a "Hyperfocal Distance" shot. It needs to have an interesting foreground object with a vast scene beyond it. The idea is to have everything in focus as far as the eye can see. I was thinking about a fence post, or some rocks or something with pasture beyond that and mountains in the distant background. Any ideas?

Although I don't know much about such a photo, I really do have to learn photography, I might no an exceptional place. IT's in the middle of thompson valley, looking east, there's an old farm structure that has the background of eastern thompson valley behind it, that I never really have been able to do justice to, of course for that matter you could be at this spot and use the fence on the other side and have clinch mountain in the background towards the south sw. I'll post a few examples of this in a few, it's a thought.