Early thoughts on Lebanon vs. Richlands????

Tarter_Ball28

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, Richlands should roll this year again but I can remember when it was a whole different story. Everything will be fine as long as Richlands is beating Lebanon but when the cycle rolls back around and Lebanon is winning some of these games again........they'll have to call in the state police like in the 90's.

Yeah, don't you remember that 9 or 10 year stretch when Honaker, Lebanon, and Castlewood didn't play Richlands in ANYTHING? Well that was because the school board didn't let us lol. I remember, vaugely, hearing stories about Richlands kids and Honaker kids fightin' at Skate World and vandalising school property, not to mention the fans! Hey clodhopper, what was the story about that game between Richlands and Lebanon a few years back when things got ugly? I've just heard bits and pieces of stuff, no one I talk to really remembers entirely what went on.

My senior year of football in 88, I think Lebanon came to Richlands undefeated, well they handed our tails to us pretty good that night. But, after the game there was sort of a scuffle between some coaches in the middle of the field.

It used to get really nasty, they'd call the state police the week of the Lebanon-Richlands game to be on standby. That was a football generation ago, I don't believe it would happen again. Richlands and all Russell County schools were ban from playing each other for 10 years. I thought it was pretty embarassing for all concerned. It'll probably be a couple more years before Lebanon can even think about being competative with Richlands, by then there'll probably be a new realignment. I don't believe either school are as sore losers as back then, now we just hope for a good football game.......either we've gotten lazier or smarter......I hope it's the latter.

I can remember one incident around '90 or '91 when Richlands came to Lebanon....tempers were flaring all through the game and when it was over the teams exchanged words. Just as they were getting both teams off the field someone yelled something and back everyone came. It was a very intense rivalry back then and made for some great football action.

On another note, a longtime Lebanon High School athletics supporter passed away this week. Jim McCoy. His family lost a wonderful husband and father, but everyone lost a friend. He was the type that did everything in his power to make the teams feel special and let them know that they were appreciated as student athletes. He contributed to LHS football in many ways..for many years. He worked the sidelines helping to treat injuries, contributed financially, and did a lot of the little things like spray paint the Pioneers on the road leading to Harry Stuart (where he only lived a hop, skip, and jump away)He had been ill over recent years but one thing was for sure...he would go out of his way to do ANYTHING he could for the kids of Lebanon and greeted everyone with a warm smile! Our prayers are with the family!

You're right. He was a unique person, always the same and always willing to help. His wake was at the Baptist Church in Lebanon last night, it was an unbeliveable crowd and I believe every kid that had played football at Lebanon for the past 10 years was there. Jim left a great family and his warm smile and handshake will be missed. One thing is for sure, there is no pain anymore where he's at.

Todd LaForce and I were outside linebackers...that may have been the game that Todd got cracked and then he started having really bad back spasams during the game. I don't recall anyone going to the hospital in that game, but then again I can't remember what I had for dinner last night.

<font color="blue"> I remember 2 yrs. ago at Lebanon when i was in band pulling the waterfalls, and the Quarterback kept throwin the ball at the band and hit one of my friends in the head, but when he threw it at me i caught it. lol. grin.gif </font>

I'm glad somebody caught one of the passes, I don't believe anybody from Lebanon caught one......LOL. I don't believe Lebanon has much for Richlands, but as we've said the past 2 years "there's always next year". Good luck to both, hopefully Lebanon can at least give Richlands a tune up for the playoffs.

My uncle played football and basketball in the late 80s at Richlands and i have heard a story many times of two Lebanon students bringing an air BeeBee gun to a basketball game at Richlands and shooting it across the court and hitting an older lady....The man sitting behind her, not mentioning any names here, came across the court either during a time out or quarter change and drug the young men out of the stands and let them have it for what they had done. Rivalry is not that intense anymore, different division and district now, but still a good game for the area. BLUES win big on Friday!!