so what's your story?

RenegadeFan

i was talking to a guy the other day who asked me what my story with loving basketball so much is and i told him, made me think this would be a good topic to talk about seeing how basketball is upon us

so to you i ask what's your story?

what truly got you into basketball?

for me it was 2001-2002 i had been helping manage the football team, i was originally gonna play but tore my ACL had to have surgery thus football was out of the question

so they allowed me to be one of the managers that yr

well it was a bad season for us at Oceana that season going 4-6 or 5-5 (cant rightfully remember) anyways he was playing out last home guy and when in the locker room at halftime then Oceana Basketball coach and now Westside b'ball coach Jimmy Hopkins comes in and starts talking to me and the 3 other boys that helped manage the team that yr and just started talking with us, nothing unusual, well next thing i know Coach is telling us how he has talked with Coach Short (Oceana's head football coach) Coach Harris, and a few others from the football coaching staff and they seem to think we'd fit in on the basketball team and would do good as managers

well i was kinda shocked, but after a moment of thinking i accepted it as well as did the other two guys, and thus i got involved into basketball and from there fell in love with the sport

dont get me wrong, i liked football and enjoying working behind the scenes a lot of cool things happen behind the scenes that yr and a lot of close relationships was formed with me and some of the coaches, but basketball was just awesome to me, playing two-three games a week and then practice just being busy all the time and different things made me fall in love with the sport of basketball

but more than anything that made me fall in love with the game of basketball was every home game that season i was the one that was allowed to lead the indians out of the locker room onto the floor and to open our door and charge onto the court and have the cheers and jeers of the crowd, awh there was nothing like it

to be standing behind the door and here the Oceana fans chanting the same chant they do at Westside today in " Hey Coach Hopkins open the door and let those Indians on the floor" of course its changed now days from Indians to Renegades, but still there was nothing like it and after two or three minutes of the chant going on Coach would say open the door Shawn and give them what they want and out we'd come...nothing like it...to me those was the days!

that's what i told the guy i was talking to that i missed about being behind the scene and doing the little things such as that...

this above anything else really made me fall in love with basketball and still hold it dear in my heart today, and one day i hope to be back behind the scene doing some of the little things again

so again i ask what's your story?