Region D, Division 1 football matchups set.

hardtrail

The VHSL Region D football playoff picture is coming into focus.

The four teams in each division already are determined, but all the pairings will not be finalized until after Friday.

In Division 1, the matchups are set. Rye Cove (7-3) is in as the Cumberland District champion and the fourth-seeded War Eagles will travel to No. 1 seed and co-Lonesome Pine District champion J.I. Burton (9-1). Hurley (8-2) finished third in the Black Diamond District but claimed the No. 3 seed thanks to its VHSL rating, earning the right to go to Appalachia. The Bulldogs (7-3) are the No. 2 seed.

Pound was the unlucky dog this season, finishing with one of the top four power ratings but being shut out of the playoffs.

The Division 2 pairings remain up in the air. The only seed that has been determined is No. 4 Powell Valley (7-3). The Vikings' opponent will be decided by the outcomes of Friday's Haysi at Grundy and Richlands at Lebanon games.

Currently, Gate City is the No. 2 seed with a rating of 19.7 and Haysi is the No. 1 seed with a rating of 19.8. The Blue Devils (8-2) could jump to the top spot, however, after the season-ending game between Haysi (8-1) and Grundy (2-7). Conversely, the top three seeds could be scrambled if Lebanon were to upset Southwest District winner Richlands.

Black Diamond champ Honaker (8-2) is currently the No. 3 seed with a 19.3 rating.

I wouldn't mail the trophy to Appy just yet. Appy has continued to improve, but Burton dominated the first match-up. In no way do I think that the second meeting will play out the same as the first in regards to an 18-0 game, but JIB is 2 tds better than appy.

SOUNDS TO ME LIKE SOMEONE ARE PUTTING ICEING ON THERE CAKE BEFORE IT IS BAKED RYE COVE WILL GIVE THE RAIDERS AGOOD TOUGH GAME IF THEY PLAY LIKE THEY DID AGAINST HAYSI THAT GAME WENT IN TO OVERTIME 15 TO 14 SO WATCH OUT RAIDERS THAT COULD BE THE UPSET OF THE PLAYOFFS DONT TAKE THEM LIGHTLY

this is no excuse and it is embarassing that the score was that close but our best player didnt play and when you are a run based team and your FB goes down well you know where im going but like I said no excuse. But that score aint exactly credible. Anyway good luck Rebels. BDD baby grin.gif

Haysi's close call with Rye Cove had more to do with about 6 dropped passes instead of Haysi missing Ryan Jones. For a supposed power running team, Haysi didn't even try to establish a running game PERIOD.

Just say it how it is. Haysi played like junk and still won. Great teams can do that.

appy JIB should be a great game if it happens at all upsets do happen but if it happens I think appy will JIBs O and D lines got dominated by GC I know appy is not GC but same style and the raiders weakness has always been toughness and their line but thats a week from now mabey