WHAT HAPPENED TO HONAKER?????

TornadoAlert

Honaker just didn't show up to play. Turnovers, lots of penalties, several missed catches, and the secondary was eaten alive by Haysi, they were able to make a big play through the air almost at will and the Haysi defense did a good job of containing Bostic. The game was close at the half, but Honaker just flat out fell apart in the 2nd half.

orange came out flat I sat down on the end they warmed up on and the recivers might have caught 3 passes over 10 or so yards right then we knew it was going to be a good day for red cause you cant run on haysi and if you cant catch well its going to be bad also I hope some orange fans make the trip back down to sandlick for the PV game

Powell Valley at Haysi will be an exciting ball game. I think the outcome is really hard to predict because the Tigers have not played a team like the Vikings - they've played teams that I think are as good as the Vikings but play a different style. IMO the two best teams Haysi played this year were Clintwood and Honaker - both big physical blue collar teams. PV's spread offense is so different & specific matchups are so critical to its success. If Haysi defensive backs are not able to contain PV's wideouts, I don't think the rest of the matchups will matter. (I think that is what happened to a fairly good Gate City team. Although GC was probably stronger along the line, it was a non-factor because the big defensive lineman weren't going to make any tackles on receivers who were catching the ball 20 yards downfield. GC's success was solely dependant upon the play of their defensive backfield.) If Haysi's DBs can matchup, then the game will be decided in the trenches. Both PV and Haysi have under-rated defensive units. I pick the Vikings to win 28 to 14.

First of all, let me begin by saying very good post! I was wondering how Powell Valley uses the spread this year. I have not seen them play this season, but based on what I have read, and what I saw last year (especially in the state finals) I assume the Vikings pass 70 percent of the time, and run the other 30 percent. Richlands effectively uses the spread as well, but to the opposite ratio 70-run/30-pass. My question is, if the receivers have an off day, is there a capable tailback to carry the load, or is the quarterback Mitchell responsible for most of the ground game, as Robbins seemed to be last season?

I think the Vikings have a good crew of young running backs that could carried the load if asked. Brain Murphy, the starter in the backfield is a solid runner & an underrated contributor to the Vikings recent success. He's fairly big @ 6'1" 190 lbs and a smart runner. He's backed up by a long list of athletic kids including Malcom Pinkston. A factor in the game at Haysi could be depth at running back, or at any position for that matter. The Vikes may suit of more than sixty and Haysi may suit up less than thirty. In a tough close game, fatigue & injuries could play a part.

Haysi will suit up about 40 kids. PV does have some good RB's and Mitchell is a capable runner as well. Last year they ran the ball alot out of the spread with McKinney who was arguably the best back in the LPD with the possible exception of Fleming from Clintwood. The thing I think could come into play is PV has some underclassmen playing very big roles while Haysi has a few more veterans at key positions. I look for that to be the deciding factor and the more experienced BDD crew come out on top.

Haysi 27

PV 13

On offense Powell Valley has underclassmen playing every role! No seniors start for the Vikings' O and I do agree that there is no substitue for experience.

Does anyone know how many players play both ways for Haysi? PV uses three or four kids both ways but plays a variety of different players. Powell Valley played a solid LPD schedule with all non-district games against large schools & they are benefiting now from that experience. I'll be surprised if the size, talent, or numbers of Haysi are not within the range of Vikings 2005 opponents. On the other hand, I still maintain that Haysi has not seen a team like Powell Valley but conceed that it's difficult to say if that works to the advantage of the Vikings or not.

haysi has not seen a team like pv but they have not seen a team like us

as far as who starts both ways 4 are full time starters but there are a couple of others who will see time just depends on what formation we are in

I have not seen Haysi play this season but have seen several of their opponents. Haysi's schedule was not as strong as Powell Valley's. I don't know how much difference it will make when they face off, but a tough schedule did help the Vikings prepare for Gate City. I think that PV has played five games against teams that are stronger than any team Haysi has played. I think Gate City (2), Breathitt County, Seymour, and Norton are stronger programs than Clintwood and Honaker. Although Clintwood upset Powell Valley, I don't think they were a better team than Norton or Gate City (both who beat Clintwood). Schedule does help you prepare but I'll admit that it won't win the ballgame for you. If Haysi wants to win a regional title, I think it needs to be this year, because I predict Powell Valley and Gate City will be much stronger over the next three seasons! Good Luck to both teams!