Re-districting post from cumberland board.

babyblue

I found this interesting. It was posted on the Cumberland District Board.

What'll they call it? The Lonesome Pine District West? The Lonesome Pine District East? The Lonesome Pine District South?

Here's a better suggestion: let's call it the District Formerly Known as the Highlands.

On Thursday, the LPD principals considered five different proposals for absorbing the VHSL's assignment of Virginia High, Lee High, John Battle and Lebanon. The plan that emerged from that meeting will send Coeburn out of the LPD into the Cumberland and Ervinton out of the Cumberland into the Black Diamond.

Gate City, meanwhile, will say goodbye to its short, happy dominance of LPD sports to join the Bearcats, Generals, Trojans and Pioneers in the formation of a new Group A league.

What these schools all have in common is that they have all been members of the Group AA Highlands District at one time or another. The only missing components are Abingdon and Marion - apparently headed for Southwest District membership. The only tie this proposed new district has with the LPD is Gate City. And those ties, while historic, have been tenuous at best.

Unlike Powell Valley - which was clearly unhappy with the extra mileage involved if the Vikings had been successfully shunted into the proposed new district - the Blue Devils were excited from the outset at the prospect of a new league.

"The district was one that I'd chosen along with coach (Nick) Colobro," said Gate City principal Mike Brickey. "Gate City is happy with it. I think it will be good for Gate City and I think it will make the region stronger."

Sweetening the deal for Gate City were commitments from Powell Valley, Appalachia, J.I. Burton and Clintwood to keep the Blue Devils as a nonconference opponent in 2007-08 and 2008-09.

It seems likely that those schools - Powell Valley for certain - would renew those contracts into the foreseeable future. Gate City has been picking up more interstate opponents in volleyball, basketball and baseball in recent years. A new district may also create opportunities for interstate football matchups in the future.

Brickey's only misgiving about what emerged from Thursday's meeting is that the new district is comprised entirely of the region's largest Division 2 schools. But in the long run, that objection may be moot. The formation of the new league may encourage undersized Southwest Virginia Group AA programs that have been playing over their heads to apply for asylum in Region D.

"I think Group AA in Southwest Virginia has been propped up by Group A schools for years. You take them out of Group AA and there's not much left," Brickey said. "I'd like to see Grundy, Graham and Tazewell come in eventually. I think the more big schools we have in Region D, the better."

Neither Coeburn nor Ervinton are expected to have trouble with their respective assignments under the proposed plan. Cumberland membership is something the Blue Knights have sought in recent years. Geographically, Ervinton shouldn't be any the worse for wear traveling in the BDD. Battle, the newcomer with the coldest feet, seems to be warming up to the idea.

Still, there will be room for arguments and objections prior to the final vote in Wednesday's Region D principals meeting. The proposal will require a two-thirds majority to pass. Proposed new members Lebanon, Virginia High, John Battle and Lee High all will have a vote.

If that proposal passes, it will be forwarded to the Virginia High School League R&R Committee for consideration during its February meeting.

That post was on the football board here too. It was from a newspaper, not sure which one.

http://www.swvasports.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=60816&an=0&page=0#Post60816

I think that is the best idea yet for Region D and it seems like everyone involved is in agreement with it.

Don't be suprised to see some of the current A-sized schools that play AA make the move down in 2009...especially if the River Ridge/Blue Ridge District is placed in Region IV with the 2007 "re-alignment".