Highlands District Tournament

Beamerball

http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/sports.apx.-content-articles-TRI-2006-02-16-0020.html

ABINGDON – Succeeding in wrestling is about sacrifice.

Virginia High’s Brandon Castle gave up his football career to concentrate on the mat. He reaped some more rewards Wednesday night in the Highlands District tournament.

Castle became a two-time district champ with a technical fall at 4:26 over Abingdon’s Ken Iscaro and then earned Wrestler of the Year from the district’s coaches.

Castle, who improved his record to 31-4, opted to run cross country in the fall and he credits that decision with improving his stamina.

Now that he stays stronger for longer, Castle can physically control a match as he did last night, when he piled up near-fall points in the first two periods and wore out his opponent.

“It’s what I’ve always wanted to do,†Castle said. “Break my opponent down, push him as hard as I can to where he can’t go no more.â€ÂÂ

A runner-up in last year’s Region IV tournament, Castle hasn’t the slightest idea who his toughest matchup will be when he returns to Abingdon for next weekend’s regionals.

“I know I’m going to wrestle some guy,†he said. “I’m just going to worry more about myself and the team.â€ÂÂ

Castle was the district’s dominant performer, but Abingdon, Marion and Lee all boasted excellent individual efforts.

Devon Puriefoy led Abingdon’s charge to the team title, pinning Marion’s Felipe Damatso at 3:15 in the 125-pound class. Puriefoy, who won a regional title last year at 103, upped his mark to 29-5.

“It’s been a good year,†Puriefoy said. “I wanted to go out there and be physically dominant, show them what Abingdon wrestling is all about.â€ÂÂ

Puriefoy has been able to add 22 pounds through maturity and hard work in the weight room. The weight gain didn’t occur at the expense of quickness.

“I worked on my agility as well in addition to the strength training,†he said.

Puriefoy was one of seven Falcons to notch district titles. Abingdon racked up 199 points, 29 more than runner-up Marion.

“Any time you win a district championship, it’s good,†Falcons coach Clayton Scott said. “The kids have put in a lot of hard work throughout the season. You’d certainly rather win than lose.â€ÂÂ

Marion bagged five individual titles, including Cutler Glenn’s 5-4 verdict at 130 pounds over John Cox. Glenn (34-3) narrowly survived a takedown attempt in the last 10 seconds.

“He was really good,†Glenn said of Cox. “He had all his moves down pat and was tough to score against. I think my experience helped me through this one. I just tried to block everything out and wrestle on reactions.â€ÂÂ

The night ended with heavyweight Lee Cooper of Lee pinning Justin Fantazier at 57 seconds, giving Cooper his 32nd win against just two losses.

“The key’s been staying healthy and staying strong,†Cooper said.

Every wrestler in the meet qualified for next weekend’s regional event.