More off field problems for VPI

sandman

[ QUOTE ]

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2352957

Is this guy a possible starter at QB or a flunkey?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is old news...at least to those that are paying attention...infraction not as bad as media makes it out to be...he did nothing different what any other college student has done or will do...coaches using stiffer punishment to get message across to the rest of players...suspended through Spring practice...media making it a big deal because its VT...that is all...

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed....but, I'd say he'll be starting by mid-season. The suspension was related to an alcohol type violation I believe. Now, tell me folks, how many of you guys that have went to college never drank under the age of 21?

[ QUOTE ]

He won't be starting before 2008. Sean Glennon is the QB regardless of Whittaker's status.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be suprised when both Glennon and Whittaker are on the bench...Holt will be the man...

Sean Glennon will start for the next 2 years hes the best decision making quaterback they've got out there. He should have actually started this past year. Whittaker will be a good quaterback but he's not as good as Glennon in this stage of his career

Glennon has to show me something before I feel comfortable with him taking the snaps. Everything I've seen thus far has pretty much been mop up duty. In his time to shine (Spring game) last year, he was less than impressing IMO.

This will be Glennon's 3rd spring practice and he has two full seasons with the VT system. He's been #2 on the depth chart since the day he stepped on campus. Holt, Whittaker and Boone have not been able to move ahead of him. Even last year when he red-shirted he would've been the starter in the event of an injury to Vick. Holt only served mop-up duty to preserve Glennon's red-shirt. He will come out of spring practice as the starter and Holt will battle Whittaker in the fall for the #2 spot. Boone will move to TE.

Glennon will show everyone this year why he was rated as one of the top 10 quaterbacks in his class he's been in the system for two years. Holt will end up moving to reciever and booned will be a tight end when its all said and done. Whittaker will be back but he wont be able to contribute this year. Glennon is the quaterback of the future at tech.

Just to let all you guys know. Cory Holt is the starter right now but the battle is still up for graps but as of right now Cory is in the Leader with Gleenon at the back up. I talked to Whitaker yesterday and he said he should be back Wed. or really soon so he isnt gonna be out the whole spring.

[ QUOTE ]

Holt is an athlete yes but Gleenon is smart with the ball and thats what they need. They've had scramblers and playmakers they just need a drop back passer for a couple of years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the latest "update" from TSL:

Change in the Quarterback Depth Chart

Cory Holt has passed Sean Glennon and is now listed first on the depth chart at quarterback. This change isn’t intended to be permanent, but it comes as a result of Holt being more consistent and accurate since practice opened last Wednesday. The quarterback race is still wide open, and either quarterback has a chance to emerge victorious.

Recent reports say that Cory Holt has caught or nearly caught Sean Glennon with regards to understanding the offense. Holt was considered a three-year project by former quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers, and he is now entering his third year in the program. The r-sophomore reportedly has more physical skills than Glennon, but he struggled in picking up the offense. Now that he understands what the Hokies are trying to do, he has a good chance to keep his seat at the top of the depth chart.

It appears that the battle for the quarterback position is now a two-horse race. Holt and Glennon were already separating themselves from r-freshman Greg Boone, and Boone suffered another setback during Monday’s practice when he limped off the field favoring his right leg. It is unknown if Boone will miss any time due to the injury.

Despite Ike Whitaker's case being settled in court last Thursday – Whitaker received a deferred judgment that allows him to keep a clean record by completing certain requirements over the next year –Whitaker still has not been cleared to practice by Frank Beamer. Whitaker pleaded no contest to public swearing, underage possession of alcohol and destruction of property on Thursday. His record will be cleared if he pays to fix the window he broke, stays out of trouble for one year and completes 25 hours of community service. He must also take an alcohol awareness class.

www.techsideline.com

[ QUOTE ]

Agreed....but, I'd say he'll be starting by mid-season. The suspension was related to an alcohol type violation I believe. Now, tell me folks, how many of you guys that have went to college never drank under the age of 21?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, his situation is a little different. First of all, he tried to buy alcohol, and second of all, he's in the national spotlight by being the quarterback at a nationally known university. Plus, to be stupid and do something like this right after the Marcus fiasco deserves a little suspension.