Brett Hodock P.O.W.

EH31

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_249234342.html?keyword=topstory

Winning attitude in Pocahontas

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

POCAHONTAS, Va.  Statistics are nice, but football is all about winning. For the Pocahontas Indians, that hadn’t happened often. Until last Friday.

“ I think we surprised a lot of people,†Pocahontas senior Brett Hodock said. “I’m proud to say I play for Pocahontas High School.â€ÂÂ

He should. Hodock played a key role in helping the Indians end a 15-game losing streak with a 24-6 win over Craig County, a team that had thrashed them the year before 62-6.

“It felt great, I’ve never seen the kids so happy after a game,†Pocahontas head coach Scott Louthan said. “They worked hard and they deserved it.â€ÂÂ

Hodock was a big reason why. He ran for 94 yards and a touchdown, including a 30-yard gain for a first down after a bad snap on a punt. He also recorded eight tackles  including two for loss and a sack  and averaged nearly 50 yards per punt, including a 64-yarder that pinned the Rockets back at the one, leading to an Indians third quarter touchdown.

For his efforts, Hodock has been selected as the Pocahontas Coal Association/Bluefield Daily Telegraph Player of the Week. For Hodock and the Indians, it was a well-deserved change of fortunes.

“It feels a lot different, just from the last two years I’ve played,†Hodock said. “We came out and won one game two years ago and we didn’t win any games last year so coming out beating Craig County, which was a (62-6) loss last year, that was pretty good.â€ÂÂ

Real good. Pocahontas had last won a game on Oct. 1, 2004, a 20-15 victory over Montcalm. Since then, the Indians had lost 15 straight, and most weren’t close. They allowed at least 40 points in 13 of those games, and were outscored last season 512-132. Outside of a 20-6 loss to Twin Valley, the Indians closest game was 18 points.

Suddenly, the Indians have a winning attitude, and intend to make it two in a row Friday when Big Creek visits Pocahontas. Hodock had heard a few comments from Owls’ players and they haven’t been nice.

“Since we won that first game against Craig, everybody’s mindset is to destroy Big Creek because they’ve been running their mouth a little bit,†Hodock said. “They said their whole focus this season is to beat us, and we’re going to upset them with a big loss.â€ÂÂ

Craig County fell behind 8-6 at halftime, with the Indians lone score being a 16-yard first quarter run by Hodock. A tailback, linebacker and punter, Hodock also made his presence felt early on defense.

“The first play I was in there, I sacked the quarterback for a loss,†said Hodock, a 6-foot, 167-pound senior.

That was the beginning of a big night for Hodock, no matter where he was on the field.

“We would like to play him defense and offense the whole game, but this year we finally got the luxury of some subs on defense so he didn’t play defense as much, but I think everytime he was in, he made a play,†Louthan said. “He made two big stops, he had one of the best open field tackles I’ve seen, and special teams-wise, he kept us in the game.

“We were backed up deep and we had a bad snap and he picked it up and ran 30 yards for a first down. He also punted one 64 yards and pinned them at the one, and we ended up scoring after we held them.

“We ended up scoring a touchdown off of that so he scored a touchdown for us and basically put us in position to score our other offensive touchdown.â€ÂÂ

Louthan, who took over as head coach this season, has seen a different attitude in a team that hasn’t had a two-game win streak since 2002.

“The way they worked and the attitude, this year when they walked out on the field I think everyone of them believed they could win,†Louthan said. “In the last couple of years it was like, ‘Maybe we can win’ or ‘Maybe we can play well’, but this year I believe everybody believes they can win.â€ÂÂ

Hodock agrees. He hopes to celebrate more wins this season.

“Just the attitude of the whole team is totally different,†Hodock said. “The line is a lot better this year than we’ve ever had and our defense is a lot stronger too.

“It was a whole team effort. If we didn’t have the line and the defense, I don’t think we could have had that game. Now that we know we can win, we can go out there and we will win a lot more games.â€ÂÂ

Honorable Mention

Bland County: Tyler Pennington: Threw for 69 yards and a touchdown, and also ran for a score in 20-15 win over Twin Valley...Thomas Willis: 3 catches for 64 yards and a score.

Bluefield: Marcus Patterson: 3 interceptions, 1 forced fumble, 44 yard punt return to set up only score in 7-0 win over Princeton...Ansel Ponder: 4 catches, 71 yards...J.T. Powell: 17 carries for 92 yards and touchdown...Eric McClanahan: Threw for 105 yards and intercepted a pass...Matthew Carter/Shawn Brooks: Keyed solid defensive effort by Beavers.

Giles: Nathan Tanner: 185 yards on 34 carries and three touchdowns, also completed a two-point conversion pass in second overtime during 22-21 win over Blacksburg.

Haysi: Lance Compton threw for 124 yard and a touchdown in 34-21 win over Clintwood...Caleb Powers: 97 yards rushing and two scores...Nathan Boyd: 6 catches, 87 yards and a touchdown.

Iaeger: Justin Goodman ran for 115 yards and two touchdowns in 32-6 win over Burch.

James Monroe: Jason Jackson: Ran for 143 yards and three touchdowns in the first quarter of a win over Shady Spring, and finished with 153 for the game...Ernie Tincher: 2 catches, two touchdowns of 23 and 81 yards...Taylor Robertson: Threw two touchdown passes on only two attempts, also had an interception on defense in 42-7 win.

Montcalm: Justin Ball recorded 12 tackles in loss to Williamson...Mike Christian recorded eight tackles...Matt Sisk threw for 75 yards, also added six tackles on defense.

Pocahontas: Matt Kennedy: 12 tackles, 2 sacks in Indians win over Craig County..John Corner: Returned an interception for a score and recorded 6 tackles.

Princeton: Keith Taylor: Interception, nearly reached double figures in tackles in loss to Bluefield...Marcus Hayes: Interception, numerous tackles; James Johnson: Fumble Recovery...All three also combined with Brandon Croy in gutty defensive effort.

Richlands: Justin McCracken: Threw for 251 yards and 4 touchdowns, and also ran for another 56 yards in 53-0 win over Honaker...Caleb Jennings: Ran for 151 yards and three scores...Austin Fuller: Caught two touchdown passes and ran for another...C.J. Arms: Caught 5 passes for 100 yards...Brett Clayburne: Recorded 7/12 tackles.

Tazewell: Eric McDaniel ran for 133 yards and four touchdowns in 29-27 win over Lebanon. Jarrod Riddle: Fumble recovery, keyed offensive line surge for McDaniel.

Twin Valley: Wyatt Justus: 24 carries for 72 yards, also threw for 66 yards and a touchdown in loss to Bland County.