And all of a sudden.....

MavsRock

I seriously doubt the speed of James Monroe will be a factor,because Mount View and Bluefield are the 2 quickest teams in AA football in WV from year to year. If anything might have a huge factor in this game it could be the Mavs size up front whether it weighs in their favor or Mount Views is yet to be seen,because speed can negate size in certain situations.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James Monroe should approach this game with caution because there is a big difference between talking about walking out of Welch with a win and actually doing it. Unfortunately it was something we couldn't accomplish last week.

guys, ya'll know blfd. is always for real. they held Blfd. to under 100 total yards. But anyways, yea they've played before other than '01 and '02. i know when i was a senior in 99 (which was the 98 football year). we destroyed them. but other than that i never really kept up with J.M that much.

I think you need to check your yearbook or somthing In the 1998-1999 football year James Monroe lost only one game and that was to Dupont 14 - 20 in the Semi-finals and in the 1999-2000 year James Monroe also only lost one game in the Semi-finals to Wyoming East 31 - 24.Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, it won't be the first time.

I can only find 2 times these teams have played each other 2001 Mount View 38 - 32 and 2002 James Monroe 51 - 6.

[ QUOTE ]

guys, ya'll know blfd. is always for real. they held Blfd. to under 100 total yards. But anyways, yea they've played before other than '01 and '02. i know when i was a senior in 99 (which was the 98 football year). we destroyed them. but other than that i never really kept up with J.M that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only know of twice that James Monroe and Mt. View have played. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in '01, Mt. View beat James Monroe 38-32 in Lindside and then in '02, James Monroe made a trip to Welch and beat Mt. View 51-6. In '98, James Monroe went 12-0 before losing to Dupont in the third round of playoffs. You may have dreamed of destroying James Monroe in '98, but as far as I can tell, James Monroe and Mt. View never even played that year. Did you mean you slaughtered Bluefield or James Monroe in '98? I may be confused on who you meant you slaughtered.

[ QUOTE ]

MV better buckle up. They will see some old timey smash-mouth football Friday. Single wing is hard enough to prepare for anyway, and even worse with a huge fast line, and fast backs. Very physical offense. There isnt a tougher offensive scheme than the single wing. Ask anyone who has played in the trenches against it. Its rough sledin.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't even have to play in the trenches to see it. Just sitting in the stands watching the single wing that Ragsdale has instilled at Giles for the past 20+ years, it is a VERY difficult offense to run & even more difficult to pick up on by defenses.

I have a friend from Coalwood who attended Excellsior High School which use to be in War. He was the qb of their team which also ran the single wing,and from the way he explained the offense to me it takes a very well disciplined team just to be able to run this kind of offense,and a team trying to defend it can't afford to over pursue,because there's alot of deception involved in it,but he also told me for single wing to work best the team running it should be able to pass as well as run the football. I've personally never seen a game that featured a team who runss this offense,but I imagine if all the Mavs do is run 95% of the time then MV should load 9 men up in the box and try and have their linebackers fill any open gaps or seams created between the line to try and force the Mav running backs to try to get to the edge where MV's team speed could really be a factor in stopping them. I'm not saying that will happen,but I believe I would try to force the Mavs to try to run to the outside if it were up to me,because in a foot race Mount Views defense would win. I expect the Mavs though to be try and be very physical and just try and run over Mount View up the middle with the football,beause I'm sure they're aware that if they try to run to the outside against teams like MV and Bluefield they'd be playing to the strength of both teams.

really i just wanted to see if you guys would correct me quicker over one game than you were to let mavsgrad get by with 1 whole undefeated season.. it worked, imagine that. anyways, if J.M. plans on bullying mount view up the middle, that might be harder than expected.. Brooks is 6'5 315. thats alot'a big man to be pushing around. so good luck with that. and if you run to the outside, hale and high will smoke you down. and a pass over the middle will leave your receiver laying flat thanks to a hard hit from smith.. so this should be interesting to see...

I don't know what the Golden Trojan is smoking but they did not play in 98 or 99 and if i was a betting man the scored would have been similar to that 51-6 beating at the view in the early 2000's, those were really good teams. But friday will take care of itself, load up the box and lets see how diciplined you are and how well coached.

[ QUOTE ]

come friday i'll be smoking a win and you'll be smoking crow. Mount View will be smoking hot, and James Monroe will just be plain out getting smoked. thats my reply to that dead head comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am not oing to respond to this thread anymore because it is pointless but i am quoting you on this trojan and will remember this come friday.

okay, okay i'll quit mavsgrad. LOL.. i just love pickin with you guys. but if it offends anyone, i'll stop. i don't mean to harm anyone, just wanted to make it a lil more interesting. but hey i guess 2 top teams in the state going head to head is interesting enough.. please accept my apology. Heck, you guys can even come sit beside me at the game if you want!! i'll be the 6'0 255lb guy standing up the whole game, with a steelers hat on, and one of the hottest chicks in the state beside me! haha... but seriously, i don't mean to make you guys mad. so lets call it even kill, and let the kids be the deciding factor.. cool?

I doubt that Mount View will ever drop Man just as James Monroe won't drop Narrows each for the same reason rivals.Man is the only school besides Bluefield to play MV every year from the time Mount View High School opened.Man has never once dropped MV even though we've beaten them like 8-9 times in a row now which is more than I can say for teams such as Chapmanville,Shady Spring,Wyoming East,Logan,and even Iaeger at one time all have dropped MV,because they felt it would be more to their interest to schedule a lesser competitive team in other words one they pretty much were guaranteed to beat.Man has continued to play MV even when they've known they were likely going to lose before the game was ever played,so I doubt MV would ever consider dropping them. To make things clear though MV hasn't always been as successful against Man as we have recently,but you have to respect a program that is willing to continue to play you even when they know that most likely the outcome of the games won't be in their favor.

[ QUOTE ]

all of you guys start posting what ya think the score will be... . I would rather these two teams play every year, and M.V to drop Man, and J.M. to drop like Narrows. beef up the schedules more?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to stay true to the Mavericks and say James Monroe 24 Mt. View 17. I've been looking forward to this game all season. I'm anxious to see what James Monroe can do with Mt. View's speed and what Mt. View can do with the single wing. Should be a good one.

Here are scores for every Beaver/Mount View played: (They did not play in 1994 or 1995)

All-time Series: Bluefield 17, Mount View 12

1978: Bluefield 9-6

1979: Bluefield 27-7

1980: Bluefield 20-0

1981: Bluefield 12-0

1982: Bluefield 14-6

1983: Bluefield 34-0

1984: Mount View 9-7

1985: Mount View 28-12

1986: Mount View 12-7

1987: Bluefield 31-6

1988: Bluefield 34-28 (OT)

1989: Mount View 24-9

1990: Mount View 21-0

1991: Mount View 13-7

1992: Mount View 21-0

1993: Mount View 31-10

1996: Bluefield 33-0

1997: Bluefield 41-7

1998: Mount View 21-13

1999: Bluefield 24-14

1999: Bluefield 21-6*

2000: Mount View 18-10

2001: Mount View 25-20

2002: Bluefield 48-20

2003: Bluefield 49-7

2004: Bluefield 17-14

2004: Bluefield 58-0*

2005: Bluefield 21-13

2006: Mount View 20-16

*â€â€Playoffs

(Those scores in BOLD represent the largest winning margin for each school in this series. MV largest margin of victory is 21 points (3 times) and Bluefield's being 58 points)

[ QUOTE ]

They didn't play those years cause the Mt. View Thugs came out of to McCdowell Co. hills and damaged buses and car in parking lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's McDowell- not McCdowell, and did they damage cars or a car? lol.. that statement could very possibly be true! Mt.View was a pretty tough school to attend at one time. LOL