World Series

BlueFalcons

I don't understand the big deal here. He had dirt on his hands, washed it off, then continued to shut the Cardinals down. Even if it was pine tar, and even if it was intentional... pitchers have been doing that stuff since baseball began (used to be legal even). The reaction to it is comical. The real problems of baseball (steroids, Steinbrenner, and Selig) are being ignored but I bet Kenny Rogers gets punished severely for this.

I bet he does too. Thats messed up. But, as critical as a picthers hands are, wouldn't you feel a clump of dirt on your hand a whole inning? they also have pics of the same "dirt" in the same spot numerous time before. But like you said, its comical they make a big deal out of that. Why is that illegal anyway?

It's illegal to put any foreign substance on the ball because it can effect the way it moves and make it harder to hit. Gaylord Perry was a master of the spitball. Phil Niekro was caught with a emery board once that he apparently used to scuff the ball. Made his knuckler dance a little better. As far as being unusual to have a clump of dirt on his hand, and in the same spot as seen in other pictures... I don't think it's unusual at all. He's probably picking up the dirt when he reaches for the resin bag, and because pitchers are creatures of habit, he picks it up the exact same way time after time.

what i dont get is why the would eject Brendan Donnelly from a regular season game for pine tar, but not even investigate kenny rogers in a world series game, all they said was wash it off, why didnt they just say that to Donnelly instead of ejecting him from the game?