Richlands' Fuller Earns Offer from VT from TechSideLine.com...

GMan

Richlands' Fuller Earns Offer from VT

by Chris Horne, TechSideLine.com

Mar 07, 2007

Last season was the first for Austin Fuller as a starting wide receiver for Richlands High School's varsity football program, and he certainly didn't disappoint. The 6-2 1/2, 195-pound Fuller finished the year with 57 receptions and set a school record for yards in a single season with 1,092. He had 15 touchdown receptions.

Over the past week or so, coaches from Virginia Tech and Virginia had a chance to see Fuller on film. They were impressed and, yesterday, the talented prospect landed a scholarship offer from Virginia Tech.

"I came out of second period and my mom had tears in her eyes," Fuller recalled from yesterday. "I asked her what was going on and then she told me that Virginia Tech had offered. It was just real exciting."

Fuller spoke with Virginia Tech primary recruiter Billy Hite yesterday evening to confirm the news.

"Coach Hite told me that [yesterday] was a day they got to look at a lot of film," Fuller said. "He said that, once Coach Beamer got to my film, he turned around to him and asked 'why haven't we offered him yet?'.

"Coach Hite said they liked my speed and just my vision on the field. I'm not the fastest on the track, but he said I'm fast enough on the field."

Interest in Fuller has been increasing of late as his video has been sent out.

"Just this past week, U of R, Furman and UVa had been in contact," said Richlands head coach Greg Mance, who is also Austin's stepfather. "UVa said they loved him and wanted to see a legit 40 time at the Nike camp for his speed. They thought he was definitely a scholarship player if they could get his speed verified. So he has been getting a lot of interest recently."

Though the Hokies aren't the only school interested, they are the clear favorite right now.

"Tech's pretty much my main choice," said Fuller. "I might decide early. I might see how many offers I get. UVa said they would offer me once I get a track time. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to Tech. They have been my favorite for a long time."

Landing his first scholarship offer continues what has been an excellent junior year for Fuller. Starting on offense (wide receiver) and defense (free safety), he helped Richlands to an undefeated season and a Group AA Division 3 Championship. In the 29-28 win over Rockbridge in the championship game, Fuller had five receptions for 46 yards, rushed four times for 77 yards including a 62-yard touchdown and made the game-clinching interception.

For his junior season performance, he earned AP first-team all-state honors and VHSCA second-team all-state honors at the wide receiver position. He will play quarterback next season, but projects initially as a wide receiver on the next level.

"Next year he will play quarterback for us," Mance said. "He does a good job at quarterback. He had about 300 yards rushing for us at quarterback last season. He loves wide receiver, which I think will be his position on the next level, and he also plays free safety for us. He is just a great athlete. He can dunk a basketball without a running start. He plays basketball. Right now, we're trying to get him faster. He ran a 4.66 in the 40 the other day, but that was with an ankle brace on. He is recovering from a high ankle sprain, so we felt good about that time."

A versatile prospect, Fuller could potentially end up at several positions on the next level. Virginia Tech has indicated that, while they like him at wide receiver, defense could be a possibility as well.

"I don’t care where I play. I just want to get on the field," said Fuller, who, with his first 1A offer in the fold, will have the opportunity to do just that at college football's highest level.