NFL camp coming to salem

zack

Haley will bring Ravens to new “Spartan Field†for youth football clinic

By Brian Hoffman

Baltimore Ravens’ linebacker Dennis Haley will be holding a three-day football clinic in Salem this summer, and he’s inviting some of his NFL teammates to join him.

Haley, a graduate of Salem High School and the University of Virginia, will be holding a clinic on June 28, 29, and 30 at the new “Spartan Field†football stadium in front of Salem High School. The stadium, which includes artificial “Field Turf,†is currently the spring home for Salem High soccer and lacrosse.

Haley has lined up an impressive list of coaches to help at the clinic, including former Spartan Brad Bradley, who has won state championships coaching at William Campbell High, former Salem assistant and Franklin County head coach Billy Miles, and current Salem coach Stephen Magenbauer and some members of his staff. He’s also inviting teammates from the Ravens, and he expects former UVA teammate Winborne Jamaine, a Ravens defensive back, to be on the staff as well as runningback Musa Smith and Bart Scott, a linebacker with Baltimore. The entire list will be announced shortly before camp.

Cost of the camp is $100 for the three-day session and it will include a t-shirt, a water bottle, and other gifts. Dennis would like to make it similar to the “NFL Twins†camp Tiki and Ronda Barber used to have at Cave Spring. That camp was discontinued due to time restraints on the Barbers, but it was very popular with the local kids when the Barbers had time to put it on.

Kids ages 7-17 are eligible to participate. To sign up call the Salem Department of Parks and Recreation at 375-3057 or stop by the Parks and Recreation office on Florida Street, just outside Salem’s Kiwanis Field on the rightfield side.

Haley left to attend the Ravens’ spring camp last weekend. He’ll be entering his third season with the organization this summer. Last year Dennis started the season on the Baltimore practice squad but ended up playing in nine games. In a game against Tennessee he played 50 snaps and made 10 tackles.

“I really love it in Baltimore,†said Haley, who makes his home in Christiansburg during the off-season. His wife is from Christiansburg and they’re expecting their first child in May.

“It was tough to get established, but now I feel like I have an idea of what I can do,†he continued. “This is going to be a big off-season for me.â€Â

Haley plays inside linebacker for the Ravens, backing up Scott and Ray Lewis. He was a tailback and defensive end at Salem High, where he was part of three state championship teams, and then went to UVA on a football scholarship, where he was an outside linebacker. He originally signed with the Jets, but after he was released he quickly inked a deal with Baltimore and he’s been on the Ravens roster the past two seasons.

HOOPSTERS

The annual Salem Times-Register Hoopsters of the Year have been chosen. The award has gone to Salem standouts since 1975, splitting into Salem and Glenvar in the 80s and adding women’s hoops at a later date