all-state announced (mville bulletin)

mhsalum

Boys All-State announced

Martinsville's senior point guard Emanuel Reid was named to the Associated Press' Group AA All-State second team on Tuesday.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

By FROM STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS -

RICHMOND  Forced to watch the last month and a half of his high school basketball career from the bench, the efforts of Martinsville’s Emanuel Reid didn’t go unnoticed this season.

The Bulldogs point guard was named to the Associated Press’ Group AA All-State second team on Tuesday, after suffering a season-ending knee injury in late January. A transfer from Science Hill High School in Johnson City, Tenn., Reid was shooting 56 percent from 3-point range and 54 percent from the field before getting injured in his second season in a Martinsville uniform.

“It’s quite an honor to not be able to play the whole season and still be honored as one of the top players in Virginia,†Reid said. “Coming to Martinsville helped me grow as a person as well as a player. Coach (Troy) Wells helped me tremendously as a player, and so did my dad.â€Â

Known for his ability to deliver in the clutch and provide on- and off-the-court leadership, Reid became an extension of his veteran coach.

“Emanuel was the most consistent player we had all year long,†Wells said. “The invaluable experience he gained his junior year really paid off. Before he went down, he really thrived when it became clutch time.

“He did whatever was necessary to keep us in the ballgame. He hit clutch free throws, and he would knock down 3s during the course of the game.â€Â

Martinsville’s season came to a close with an 89-65 loss to Hidden Valley in the state quarterfinals, moving the Bulldogs’ record to 19-10.

While dreams of repeating as state champions fell short, Reid was able to find a positive while reflecting on his career, despite his unfortunate injury.

“The city of Martinsville took me in, even as an outsider,†Reid said. “Last year I was able to win a state championship, and even this year with an injury, I still see something positive with our state championship from last year.â€Â

The All-Group AA first team is comprised of Bradley Starks of Orange County, who was also named Group AA player of the year, Ronald Thornhill of state runnerup Brunswick, Marcus Mayo of Rockbridge County, Ben Boggs of state semifinalist Hidden Valley and Chad Moore of Handley. Boggs is a sophomore, the rest seniors. William Fleming coach Mickey Hardy was named coach of the year, after leading the Colonels to their first state title in 12 years.

Thornhill, 5-8, scored 22 points each in the state semifinals and championship, which the Bulldogs (26-4) lost 66-57. He averaged 19.2 points and 7.8 rebounds overall.

Mayo, 6-0, averaged 22.6 points, 6.5 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 2.5 steals. He topped 30 points four times, and had 19 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists in a game against Robert E. Lee-Staunton.

Boggs, 6-3, averaged 16.1 points, 8.1 rebounds and 3.7 assists for the Titans. He had 27 points in win over William Fleming in the Region III final, and 11 in the state semifinals loss to Brunswick.

Moore, 6-4, averaged 19.1 points, 11.5 rebounds and 3.1 steals for 22-4 Handley.

Joining Reid on the second team are sophomore Jamelle Hagins of state champ William Fleming and seniors Alvin Wright of Heritage, Keon Scott of Robert E. Lee and Jimmy Ashby of Grundy.