Locals taken in MLB draft

Locals Justin Grimm (Va High), C. J. Lee (Va High/ETSU) and Nick Hill (Sullivan East, TN/Army) were drafted. Grimm was 414 overall, and selected by Boston. Hill was 225 and drafted by Seattle. Lee went to Atlanta, 618 overall.

Yeah, I think the injury hurt a little among other things, missed most of last season due to a broken arm. He did sign to play at Georgia next season, so if he can continue to improve his secondary pitches and show that he can stay healthy then I'm sure his stock will go higher. Baseball America rated him 177th overall.

There's a video of him pitching on the MLB site....

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y200...ft=ST&fv=VA

Just scroll down to the 414 pick and his name and on the far right side you'll see "400k" for the video link, it's also under the "Enhanced scouting report" link where there's more comments they had about him.

http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/sports.apx.-content-articles-TRI-2007-06-09-0012.html

Several locals picked in MLB amateur draft

Saturday, Jun 09, 2007 - 04:00 AM

BY Tim Hayes

Sports Reporter

When the Seattle Mariners selected Nick Hill in the seventh round of the Major League Baseball Amateur Draft on Friday afternoon, it fulfilled a dream for the former Sullivan East High School star.

"I was pretty excited," Hill said. "I put a lot of hard work into it, and I’m ready to start a professional career that I’ve worked my whole life for."

Along with Hill, Virginia High pitcher Justin Grimm was taken by the Boston Red Sox in the 13th round with the 414th overall pick, while East Tennessee State University outfielder and former Virginia High standout C.J. Lee was drafted in the 20th round (618th overall) by the Atlanta Braves.

Hill had the distinction of being the highest local player draftedm as Seattle selected him with the 225th overall pick. The left-handed pitcher recently wrapped up an impressive collegiate career at Army, where he graduated with a host of school records to his name.

"I started watching the draft on the computer a little bit," Hill said. "[seattle] called me about the middle of the sixth round and told me they would take me in the seventh round if I was still around. I was glued to the computer after that to see what all would happen."

When Hill does sign with the Mariners, he would be assigned to their short-season Northwest League entry in Everett (Wash.), or perhaps their Low-Class A affiliate in Wisconsin of the Midwest League.

Lee was also glad to be drafted. Especially since the Braves are his favorite team.

"It’s been amazing," Lee said. "It’s unbelievable to be drafted by the team that was my favorite team growing up."

Lee has been on Atlanta’s radar for a while.

"They were one of the main teams that were talking to me," Lee said. "I went to a pre-draft workout at Turner Field in Atlanta about a week ago."

Lee was told by an Atlanta scout that he would begin the season with the Danville Braves of the rookie-level Appalachian League.

"As a senior, I was just trying to get an opportunity and now that’s happened," Lee said. "I’ll probably report on Sunday to Danville. Playing close to home and getting to play on my high school field [bristol’s DeVault Stadium] and my college field [Johnson City’s Cardinal Park] – it’s going to be a fun summer."

While Hill and Lee are ready to get their professional careers underway, it will be decision-time for Grimm. The hard-throwing right-hander has already signed with the University of Georgia and could spurn the professional ranks to pitch in the Southeastern Conference or vice versa.

Former David Crockett High School standout Kevin Hammons, currently pitching for Tusculum College, was taken in the 24th round by the Florida Marlins (736th overall).

As for Hill, the former Patriot is ready to step on the mound once again – this time as a professional.

"I just wanted to start playing again whether I was picked in the first round or the last round," Hill said. "Anywhere, as long as I got the opportunity."

im surprised no one said anything about Pat White being drafted...i dont think he will go into the MLB but he was drafted and thats saying something...now he has a big decision to make...MLB or NFL after college