UNC to win the ACC?

[ QUOTE ]

Been away for a little while, but figured I'd respond to the claim that UNC might win the ACC. Short answer: no. Here's how I see it going down:

Virginia Tech: 11-1 (7-1)

Virginia: 10-2 (6-2)

Miami: 8-4 (5-3) [tiebreak]

Georgia Tech: 9-3 (5-3)

North Carolina: 5-7 (3-5)

Duke: 2-10 (0-8)

UNC will be better than most might realize, but are a year away from bowl contention, and at least 4 away from any feasible conference shot. But they will have one. 7 ESPN Top 150 recruits this past year (unless this is Butch Davis's work, I'll never know how this transpired).

The other oddity on this list is UVA. Might be bias, but I doubt it. Ponder these numbers:

Returning starters: 19 (1st in ACC)

Offensive: 9

Line is as strong as ever, returns all starters. Jameel Sewell will be effective if his wrist heals (early reports are positive).

Questions abound at wide receiver, since Kevin Ogletree will miss the entire season due to a torn ACL. Also, if Mike Groh can learn not to call a swing pass on EVERY 2nd down, good things might happen.

Defensive: 10

All but Marcus Hamilton will return. Chris Long is an early All-American candidate, and Jeffrey Fitzgerald at the other end anchor a great front 3. Linebacking corps, although not the most heralded, return with much experience, especially tackling leader Jon Copper and third-year starter Clint Sintim

Questions abound for the secondary, which has never been the most rock solid. That could hurt.

Schedule:

September 1: at Wyoming

September 8: Duke

September 15: at North Carolina

September 22: Georgia Tech

September 29: Pittsburgh

October 6: at Middle Tennessee State

October 13: Connecticut

October 20: at Maryland

October 27: at North Carolina State

November 3: Wake Forest

November 10: at Miami (FL)

November 24: Virginia Tech

Notice how the three hardest opponents through the first ten games are all at home (GT, Pitt, WF). Virginia's averaged a .750 mark at home over the past 5 seasons. Virginia has managed to be, well, inept on the road, but let's look at the opponents: WY, NC, MTS, Mary, NCST. All are winnable. Two are coming off awful seasons (worse than UVA's), one just gained D-I status, and two will be at the bottom of their respective divisions. Call me crazy, UVA could be 10-0 when they roll into Coral Gables. Losses in the last 2 games create the 10-2 mark, with a 6-2 conference record. Looking at all the other schedules (ESPN), one can justify feasibly the records I wrote above. Call me crazy, but this is how I think it'll shake down.

[/ QUOTE ]

As soon as Al Groh isn't the coach there anymore, then maybe...

Dwight Jones (UNC's new WR, 4th overall in the country for those who didn't know) Is my pick for Freshman of the year in the ACC

You my friend need to harken back to the days of ole' when Butch Davis' Miami teams ran the ball out of the I formation first and foremost and passed only sparingly. UNC will look similar in form to VPI's on field product than some might like. He'll win in Chapel Hill but it won't be "shock and awe".

[ QUOTE ]

He'll win in Chapel Hill but it won't be "shock and awe".

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong there, a winning football team will shock and awe Chapel Hill. It has been a decade since Carolina put a legit winner on the field in football...

I disagree here, In buntings first year here in 2001 UNC went to the Peach Bowl and beat Syracuse. In 1998 in either the peach bowl or something else i'm not really sure they dominated none other than VT 48-3 i do beleive. That's almost a decade but not quite. Just 3 years ago UNC went to a bowl and lost to BC. IMO unc is a talented team on the verge of becoming a really good team. The talent is there and now with Davis i think the coaching is there. And along with the coaching comes the wins and along with the wins comes the Recruits.

The '98 UNC team was pretty good...they only lost one game, was ranked #5 in the country and was snubbed by the BCS bowl committee...they took it out on a VT that had been decimated by injuries...and it was as ugly as the score indicates.

[ QUOTE ]

The '98 UNC team was pretty good...they only lost one game, was ranked #5 in the country and was snubbed by the BCS bowl committee...they took it out on a VT that had been decimated by injuries...and it was as ugly as the score indicates.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the 1997 Carolina squad that went 11-1 and thumped Tech in the Gator Bowl on Jan. 1, 1998. The 1998 Heels finished 8-5. And I'm sorry, but I don't consider the 8-5 record of the '01 season very impressive or a legit winner nor do I call the 6-6 '04 squad anything close to impressive or a legit winner. A legit winner is no more than three losses in a season. It's time that the vast majority of Carolina fans quit settling for 6-5, 7-5, 8-5 seasons as being successful. Times will change with Butch Davis around, in four years three loss season will become the normal and no longer the exception.

[ QUOTE ]

Been away for a little while, but figured I'd respond to the claim that UNC might win the ACC. Short answer: no. Here's how I see it going down:

Virginia Tech: 11-1 (7-1)

Virginia: 10-2 (6-2)

Miami: 8-4 (5-3) [tiebreak]

Georgia Tech: 9-3 (5-3)

North Carolina: 5-7 (3-5)

Duke: 2-10 (0-8)

UNC will be better than most might realize, but are a year away from bowl contention, and at least 4 away from any feasible conference shot. But they will have one. 7 ESPN Top 150 recruits this past year (unless this is Butch Davis's work, I'll never know how this transpired).

The other oddity on this list is UVA. Might be bias, but I doubt it. Ponder these numbers:

Returning starters: 19 (1st in ACC)

Offensive: 9

Line is as strong as ever, returns all starters. Jameel Sewell will be effective if his wrist heals (early reports are positive).

Questions abound at wide receiver, since Kevin Ogletree will miss the entire season due to a torn ACL. Also, if Mike Groh can learn not to call a swing pass on EVERY 2nd down, good things might happen.

Defensive: 10

All but Marcus Hamilton will return. Chris Long is an early All-American candidate, and Jeffrey Fitzgerald at the other end anchor a great front 3. Linebacking corps, although not the most heralded, return with much experience, especially tackling leader Jon Copper and third-year starter Clint Sintim

Questions abound for the secondary, which has never been the most rock solid. That could hurt.

Schedule:

September 1: at Wyoming

September 8: Duke

September 15: at North Carolina

September 22: Georgia Tech

September 29: Pittsburgh

October 6: at Middle Tennessee State

October 13: Connecticut

October 20: at Maryland

October 27: at North Carolina State

November 3: Wake Forest

November 10: at Miami (FL)

November 24: Virginia Tech

Notice how the three hardest opponents through the first ten games are all at home (GT, Pitt, WF). Virginia's averaged a .750 mark at home over the past 5 seasons. Virginia has managed to be, well, inept on the road, but let's look at the opponents: WY, NC, MTS, Mary, NCST. All are winnable. Two are coming off awful seasons (worse than UVA's), one just gained D-I status, and two will be at the bottom of their respective divisions. Call me crazy, UVA could be 10-0 when they roll into Coral Gables. Losses in the last 2 games create the 10-2 mark, with a 6-2 conference record. Looking at all the other schedules (ESPN), one can justify feasibly the records I wrote above. Call me crazy, but this is how I think it'll shake down.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are very correct......it also goes to show the lack of any teams worth top 15 consideration in the acc, except VT