Virginia Tech's Band at Narrows???

MavsRock

My brother told me this evening that VT's band will be at Narrows for the Maverick-Green Wave game for a tribute to the late Jarrett Lane who was shot in April. Anyone else know if this is true?

I hate what happened to cause this to happen if it's true, nevertheless, its pretty big for a season-opening HS game. Thanks to anyone who can confirm this, looks like everyone might want to get to this game a little early.

Thanks. Now guess what, this now becomes one of the biggest games during week one in this early, especially with this being in interstate rival. Should give both teams plenty of motivation to lay it on the line, no where to hide if you play flat.

Per today's edition of the Virginian Leader:

www.virginianleader.com

"Friday, August 24th, James Monroe at Narrows, 7 p.m. Jarrett Lane’s number 24 will be retired in a pre-game ceremony. Lane was a graduate of Narrows and a senior at Virginia Tech killed in the April 16th shooting on the Tech campus. The Marching Virginians will perform at halftime."

[ QUOTE ]

Also, rumor is that the school is not retiring, but honoring #24 for Jarrett. Personally, I don't want to see anyone else wear #24. I think that would be the right thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wondered about that, saw A Narrows kid wearing that in the Virginian Leader preview.

From what I understand, 24 will be officially retired on Friday night. If that is held true, then Dale Jones maybe getting to keep it under a grandfather rule considering he wore that number last year and I'm thinking the year before that also. Personally, I would love to see it retired in football and basketball too.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfoCn-NiI3U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfoCn-NiI3U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

BTW, for anyone interested, if you go to Youtube.com and type in "Marching Virginians Narrows", there are more links to their performance that night. Really cool to watch it again. Even cooler to have been there that night. Very memorable night! Thanks to the person who put the video up.