Bluefield HS radio broadcast

BeaverHokie

First off, I am VERY happy there is a web broadcast of the game. Sitting in Georgia, it's nice to be able to listen to the game.

But is the sound quality for WKOY/Eagle typical for them? It sounds like it's being sent to the station over a common phone line, and not over any kind of broadband line. The commercials sound fine, so it's not the web part, it's the feed from the stadium to the station.

And I have to say....I don't know what he's doing these days, but I sure miss Jim Nelson calling games. I get the impression he doesn't get along with Freddie, with him doing Graham, then Princeton games. These two guys calling the game are OK, and better than some we've had before, but still...

[ QUOTE ]

I listened from Tampa and the sound quality was fine, although I agree we need Jim Nelson back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I sound really "old school", but he was a heck of a treasure, and I don't know of anyone who was anywhere near as good at the high school level. His ability to convey information quickly and concisely was impressive. I could listen, and could picture the formation in my mind, due to him.

The sound quality thing was more the issue of how they send the signal from the stadium to the station. It sounded like a lot of high school football games, but when WHIS used to do the games, they must have used a different technology, as it sounded fuller and richer. Compare and contrast it to listening to a Virginia Tech game with Bill Roth calling it, and the sound quality is definitely different. Maybe that's asking too much of high school football, and I ought to be happy that I can at least listen.

I totally agree about Nelson. When he spoke I could see the game in my head. The two guys last night tried very hard but at times I became bored with them and had trouble staying focused on the game. I think the problem is we became spoiled listening to Jim Nelson and now we can't accept the fact that this is high school football, and we aren't going to get the best announcers doing the games.

Fred Persinger Jr. was a great play-by-play man also. He didn't want to leave, but was ran out-of-town by the "brains" of the radio station's operation. To Redd's credit, he has improved since he first started doing the play-by-play. However, it still isn't to the point I can listen to him in an enjoyable fashion. I used to always take my radio with me to the stadium and listen, but not anymore. If I'm at the game I don't waste time with bringing the radio b/c it isn't worth it...

Yep, nelson was great I can still here him saying " moving left to right across your radio dial"And he was a great sports guy who was fairly neutral in his broadcast.

The guy last night sounded like a couple of over zealous parents routing on their sons on the field. Come on guys just call the game give us the facts and figures, you are the radio listeners eyes. I wonder if they know how many folks were listening over the internet. I was in SC and my folks listen in from Las Vegas.