Defense question for someone at the Bluefield/Graham game

BeaverHokie

When I was listening to the radio broadcast, the two guys said that Bluefield was running a 3-5 defense, with 3 down linemen and 5 linebackers.

I'm thinking it was probably a 5-3, with stand-up defensive ends.

Can anyone familiar offer any insight? If it was a 5-3, was this case-specific for the Graham game? Any idea...will they only have 3 defensive backs back there for every game, or was it due to the run-oriented attack of Graham?

[ QUOTE ]

When I was listening to the radio broadcast, the two guys said that Bluefield was running a 3-5 defense, with 3 down linemen and 5 linebackers.

I'm thinking it was probably a 5-3, with stand-up defensive ends.

Can anyone familiar offer any insight? If it was a 5-3, was this case-specific for the Graham game? Any idea...will they only have 3 defensive backs back there for every game, or was it due to the run-oriented attack of Graham?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it was a 3-5. I would imagine that the defensive scheme will change depending on the opponent and the type of offense they run. Regardless, I would imagine that you'll see many of the same players b/c many are interchangeable.

its wvu defense basiclya 3-3-5 what makes it look like a 3-5 is what freddy uses for what normaly would be outside backers is what u could call a tweener i guess a corner slash linebacker.. someone with decent speed to cover but can come up to hit or defend the run

[ QUOTE ]

its wvu defense basiclya 3-3-5 what makes it look like a 3-5 is what freddy uses for what normaly would be outside backers is what u could call a tweener i guess a corner slash linebacker.. someone with decent speed to cover but can come up to hit or defend the run

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like what i saw the nitro scrimmage and graham game with kersey and mcclannahan. hard hitters, decent speed, good solid outside run support, and even better heads (at least kersey...Mac had the summer school this year, but was more worried about his baby girl than school. dont blame the man) on their shoulders. 3-5-3 is their base. but during scrimmages, they did alot of mixing up kersey back deep with ponder for extra deep help, and that showed promise. with ponder, joyner, patterson, and kersey deep i dont think the beavers can do too bad against the pass, as well as the run.

lets see this friday.

trust me its a 3-3-5 just like wvu trust me either play ncaa 2008 or just watch a game u will see what im sayin is normaly u wouldn't try to cover slots with outside linebackers but when u have guys that cover and blitz example whicks(wvu) u don't need to run a 3-4 and it makes being the d- coordinator all the more merrier cause its easier to mix things up and disgusie blitzes