Beckley 21, Cabell Midland 14 - Final

Beckley_WWHS

I thought these two teams were very evenly matched. Beckley had the advantage in total yards 286 to 258.

The game was tied 14-14 at halftime. Cabell Midland got the ball to begin the second half and the Beckley defense was able to come up with a stop. Ali then broke loose with a 70 yard TD run that was the game winner. He finished the game with 138 yards on 13 carries. He also had a couple of great plays on defense with an interception and a thunderous hit on a Cabell Midland receiver to break up a pass in the 2nd half. The Beckley defense pitched a shutout in the 2nd half and the team didn't have any turnovers in the game.

It was a great team effort for Beckley and a big win.

Everyone really worked hard in the offseason from the coaches tweaking the offense and the players working hard and it has paid off so far. I think most everyone around here would have been very happy if you told them before the season the team would be 2-1 after three games against three playoff teams from a season ago. I didn't really expect Beckley to go to Parkersburg this early in the season and knock them off at home especially since Parkersburg has won 15 straight games. Who knows what might happen if they play again.

The good news is the team is off to a good start. The bad news is there is a very tough schedule ahead including Riverside, Capital, Hurricane, and George Washington.

This is a pretty good football team though. If everyone stays healthy, I don't see any reason as to why Beckley can't play with every team left on the schedule and have a chance of beating all of them. They have to win the games that they should win (Spring Valley, Greenbrier East, and Princeton are games that Beckley really can't afford to let get away), and get at least a couple wins against those four I mentioned above.

Also this season, there are five or six underclassmen starting on both sides of the ball so there should be at least something to work with for next season. Those two really bad seasons, the majority of Beckley's starters from the previous years were seniors. The running backs are mostly seniors but that should be the only area where Beckley is really losing almost everyone for next season.

Things are off to a good start, lets just hope they keep it up.