hey, i was right for once!

zack

i predicted hidden valley-bassett to be much closer than most people thought. most people based this upon the hidden valley william byrd game where byrd prevailed 42-13. my prediction was based the confidence in the hidden valley coaches to come up with a game plan. in fact, hidden valley had a good chance to win in regulation but missed a field goal.hidden valley looked young and overmatched against a veteran byrd team, but the adjustments could be made with good coaching. im not saying hidden valley will make the playoffs nor am i saying that they will not. i am saying that things are not as bad as they may seem nor as good in a one or two game span nor in scrimmages.

also, i was right about byrd. i predicted a close game in salem. byrd has 18 starters back who have been beat on for 3 or 4 years. also, game conditions played a part with rain pretty much the whole game. byrd has very good offensive and defnsive lines and a fullback who is tough as nails.salem had missed snaps,and 5 fumbles. this will kill drives or turn the ball over. salems defense played more physical when they had too, and i think this was part of the salem plan, to try and toughen some of the younger players in a hurry.salem has a much younger defensive line than william byrds offensive line, and at times, byrd blocked salem well,but they could not sustain because salems defense always toughened.byrds quarterback was quick and could run.this was a good test for both teams, and the one item that was lacking in byrds offense was a little more balance and their coach jeff highfill was already mentioning that in the after game interview. byrd, based on their schedule, could win the rest of their games. they are in region 3 , division 4, but it remains to be seen whether they can take heritage or if anybody can beat amherst.