WVU 48 - E.Carolina 7 Final

GoldenTrojan

Because look at Boise St. last year..and besides.. if it was just the top 8, what "ratings" would be used to determine the 8? that would leave another topic to discuss. atleast with 32 you would have a few teams that sucked and would be matched up with the better teams and would be put out quick. The winner of the bracket would only play 5 games. (32,16,Quarter,Semi,Final) or if thats too many games.. make it the top 16. but 8 would leave alot to be desired. Not just hunting for the National Champion, but that would help place teams that were under-rated, or over-rated in their respected placement.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 would be perfect........you'd have all the quality teams in it and some unknowns would do well........A few upsets to give the thing some suspense, all in all it would be great for college football.........and use the bowls as the sites......using the lower tier bowls and get into higher bowls as the tourney progresses

8 is too few.......bc there would be much outrage of being left out of the top 8 than out of the top 32............

Bring on the playoff...

1. Instead of rating the top 25 start using a top 32...i know its an off number but we gotta change some things here....

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

This is exactly what I've mentioned for years, and I see no reason why this wouldn't work.

Here's my system:

1. Force each conference to play a championship game. People will still spend money to watch this, because...

2. Give the winners of said conference championships either a 1-seed or a 2-seed. The conference championship would still mean something! Give the 2 remaining 2-seeds to non-BCS conferences. Spice things up a bit, I say.

2. Start the playoffs the week after the conference championships, that is, the 2nd weekend of December. You wouldn't have the Jim Tressels of the world whining about thirty-two month playoffs. This would run through the 2nd weekend of January, which, lo and behold, is when the BCS championship happens anyway.

3. To make the money-hounds happy, still allow each of the games to retain "bowl" status. There'd be nothing like seeing USC and Cincinnati play in the Sheraton Hotels Las Vegas Bowl in a first-round contest. You'd get a wide array of fans in, everybody's happy.

4. NO MORE 6-6 TEAMS IN BOWL GAMES. This isn't the NBA playoffs, here. Teams shouldn't be rewarded for being average. This system prevents that.

5. Use a selection committee, as in the NCAA tournament. Don't use the pathetic computers. For everyone's sake.

However, I'd keep the top-25 polls. That'd add suspense to the mix. It gives you an idea of who is probably in the tournament, while giving the writers and pundits fodder to use: "Who are the next 7?" "Who outside the top-25 would have the biggest beef with being left out?" I love it.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

...i think u and GHS06 are just eating sour lemons

[/ QUOTE ]

amazing... As much unjustified trash as you talk about Tech, A comment makes you say crap like that. Nice.

[/ QUOTE ]Unjustified??? VT played crappy in the 2nd half of the bowl game and then the 1st 2 games of this year, it was clearly justified, i made the post sayin they had a crappy offense and sayin i bet they wish they had our line and our skill players and u got offensive cause u know its true...and i made the statement over sour lemons cause WVU has the bulk of the players back from the last 2 years that went 11-1 and 11-2, so sayin they'll never go undefeated is just straight up corny when they've been so close the last 2 years and still have a number of underclassman that play key parts to this year's team

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i think u and GHS06 are just eating sour lemons

[/ QUOTE ]

Come talk to me at the end of the year...you are invited to a dinner of crow, cheese, and wine.

[/ QUOTE ]i dont need any crow cheese or wine...kristen's cookin is good enough for me, she keeps me full...and speaking of WVU if they lose a game this year it'll be from the tough road games at USF, Rutg. and Cincy, but even with one loss they would still be close to a top 10 finish and a possible BCS game, and 3 straight top 10 finishes would be very respectable

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

I've got a crazy idea? How about a playoff??? Na...that would make too much sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would ruin college football. The regular season is the playoffs. you lose, usually no ring. Except in rare cases, and in the powerhouse SEC...

The "the regular season is the playoffs" argument is the exact same argument people used about the "Chase for the Nextel Cup". Didn't exactly ruin NASCAR. A playoff would be great in many beneficial ways, of which I'll name a few, for time reasons:

1. It's the best indicator of who the best teams actually are. Case and point, 2004. Auburn was clearly, CLEARLY #2, and we didn't find that out until the most pathetic national title game since Florida took WVU to the woodshed.

2. Revenue, baby. You couldn't possibly lose with this. Those stadiums would absolutely be packed, given the significance of a playoff game.

3. Indirectly, it shows collegiate players what the NFL might be like. The champion would play 18 games in a season, much akin to what an NFL playoff team might play.

Guest JJBrickface

The 32 team playoff system would be a horrible idea. Here is why:

1. Its too long...Yes it may end at the same time that the Natl Championship game is held but that also means about 4 or 5 more games for teams who make it to the championship.

2. The time that teams get off between bowls are usually reserved for Final Exams and for the players and coaches to get some kind of break. Its not fair for them to have to travel and play games during that time.

3. It could also reduce the attendance for the individual bowl games. With the playoff they may have more meaning but its going to be hard to get the respected fans to travel to each site during the holidays. Many people save up their money to go to the bowl destination of their team each year, almost as if a vacation. They would not be able to do this with the playoff system.

[ QUOTE ]

The "the regular season is the playoffs" argument is the exact same argument people used about the "Chase for the Nextel Cup". Didn't exactly ruin NASCAR. A playoff would be great in many beneficial ways, of which I'll name a few, for time reasons:

1. It's the best indicator of who the best teams actually are. Case and point, 2004. Auburn was clearly, CLEARLY #2, and we didn't find that out until the most pathetic national title game since Florida took WVU to the woodshed.

2. Revenue, baby. You couldn't possibly lose with this. Those stadiums would absolutely be packed, given the significance of a playoff game.

3. Indirectly, it shows collegiate players what the NFL might be like. The champion would play 18 games in a season, much akin to what an NFL playoff team might play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things.....

Florida and WVU wasn't for the national championship that year but yeah it was pathetic

I think last year's title game was the most pathetic thing in recent sports.....

well 8 would be good i do believe and its simple as being able to make it into b/c no matter what there is always someone that will complain...32 is too many games to be played football is to physically demanding to play that many games plus id love to keep the bowl games it means more football!!! for the most part ur top team will have to be in the top 8 and if u r the best team in the country u shouldnt lose as simple as that but the 8 team playoff means the team are not going months w/o playing so it means better football that can be spread around the bowl games...the main reason this is needed is for those teams that never lose but never could have been considered N.C. b/c of who they play

atleast with the playoff system, we wouldn't have to wonder what if #3 played #1. AP polls -vs- Coaches polls. Examples: 1978 Alabama-USC, 1990 Colorado-Georgia Tech, 1991 Miami-Washington, 1997 Michigan-Nebraska, and who could forget 2003 USC-LSU. Even last year Ohio St. #1 got b*tch slapped by Florida. Just proves that ratings mean nothing, It should be about who really better rather than who they THINK is better.

Guest JJBrickface

If there are only two BCS teams that are undefeated then there is no problem at all. Its a problem when there are multiple. If you are in a BCS conference and you are one of two undefeated teams then you deserve to be in the National Title game.

[ QUOTE ]

The 32 team playoff system would be a horrible idea. Here is why:

1. Its too long...Yes it may end at the same time that the Natl Championship game is held but that also means about 4 or 5 more games for teams who make it to the championship.

2. The time that teams get off between bowls are usually reserved for Final Exams and for the players and coaches to get some kind of break. Its not fair for them to have to travel and play games during that time.

3. It could also reduce the attendance for the individual bowl games. With the playoff they may have more meaning but its going to be hard to get the respected fans to travel to each site during the holidays. Many people save up their money to go to the bowl destination of their team each year, almost as if a vacation. They would not be able to do this with the playoff system.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make good arguments. I don't agree with your first as much. You eliminate games in which USC has had a month layoff and Ohio State has had a layoff of nearly fifty days. That lowers the quality of football, creates title games with far too many turnovers. Physical conditioning is important, though, but with a week to rest between each game, that shouldn't be that much of an issue. It's not as if you're playing the games back to back as the NCAA basketball tournament.

The second one has some good merit. However, that would affect only the first two weeks of the playoff season. Likewise, the athletic department could work out exam schedules around the players' commitments. This happens frequently with midterm exams, which often occur on Fridays, and could be applicable here. Likewise, a short weeklong break would keep the coaches focused on the first round opponent, rather than having a team that loses focus over a three-week to monthlong break.

Your third has the most merit to it, and it was one I hadn't thought of before. However, there's nothing against keeping the playoff games regional. Let's assume Georgia plays Virginia Tech in a second round playoff game. The game could be held at the site of the Meineke Autocare Bowl (or whatever it is) in Charlotte. Close enough for both contingencies of fans to road-trip it. Likewise, there is a sizable amount of donors who come to these games; for Virginia, it's far more donors than students that make the trip (about a 3:1 ratio, from what I saw in Nashville two years back). The donors wouldn't have as much trouble paying for tickets as students would, and that would create an undue burden on them.

I think it's workable, but it needs tinkering. Very good objections, however, and that's what'll probably kill it in the end anyway.

Guest JJBrickface

Yeah I'm not exactly counting out the possibility of a playoff scenario but at the moment I think there are too many question marks with it. Like you said there has to be some or maybe a lot of tinkering with it.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

What makes college football great is the fact that a team has to came out and play every game in order to have a chance to win a national title. Every game counts. Yeah, its fun to watch regular season college basketball. but why do we watch in march? Cause with one loss a team is done. Sure some teams get in RARELY with one loss, but the teams that complain aboout how the didn't make it can only blame themselves. All you gotta do is win every game. I assure you if your undefeated you will be in the national championship. And what if there is three teams? well the NCAA is already trying to implement an and-1 game for that situation. The bowl games is the reason why we watch college football believe it or not. For all the WVU fans out there, would you watch an team's undefeated game (such as USC or LSU) to see if they lose and WVU can sneak in the championship? Im not a WVU fan but i still would cause just that one loss changes a whole group of teams chances for a ring. Every game matters. Thats why we all sit in front of the TV and watch games all day. Yes, some of us just love football, but others watch because of how it will determine their teams chances to be champions. I love college basketball, but i dont watch it unless my Heels are playing, or duke is losing. Other games would be exciting to watch, but it really doesnt matter who wins in the long run when it comes to the championship. Thats why college football ratings are higher during the regular season than basketball. PLain and simple, the system makes college football more exciting. If you wanna whine about how your team didn't get in, sorry but it's their own fault. Just win every game. My isnt it simple!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

guess you didnt watch the NC last year huh?... some people!!!!!!

Actually, I didn't! I can't stand Florida and I can't stand Ohio State. Some people indeed!

And to floridabeaver above: students take exams during the week, and by the off chance there is a Saturday exam, they petition the respective Office of Academic Affairs on the matter. What do you think they do during the exam period to prepare for their lone bowl game? They practice. Under that system, there would be absolutely NO difference in the time spent on football than there is right now. Your argument lacks substance.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

Actually, I didn't! I can't stand Florida and I can't stand Ohio State. Some people indeed!

And to floridabeaver above: students take exams during the week, and by the off chance there is a Saturday exam, they petition the respective Office of Academic Affairs on the matter. What do you think they do during the exam period to prepare for their lone bowl game? They practice. Under that system, there would be absolutely NO difference in the time spent on football than there is right now. Your argument lacks substance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is true that they practice during this time but if they were in a playoff system they would be practicing, traveling, playing, have more media responsibilities, and all around more pressure. You have to remember that these are mostly young kids and I don't think the playoff is a necessity.

That has substance. However, it is often the coaches at the collegiate level that have to deal with the media; you might get a few post-game tidbits from the players, but the coaches give the press conferences. That's why you have to schedule games near home for the first two rounds of a playoff, if it's five rounds. You can travel there after Friday morning exams, have a run at practice, and get in bed at a reasonable hour.

It's certainly not a necessity, since we don't have it now. However, the BCS is not a long-term solution. It's breakin' under the strain, so we need to fix it.

I agree that they need a playoff system, I just think 18 games for kids still going to school is too much. I think they should go back to the 11 game regular season and then have 8 teams in the playoffs. The 2 teams to make the final would play 14 games.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

I agree that they need a playoff system, I just think 18 games for kids still going to school is too much. I think they should go back to the 11 game regular season and then have 8 teams in the playoffs. The 2 teams to make the final would play 14 games.

[/ QUOTE ]

but do you keep the other bowls? The traditional bowls that have so much history? What about the kids? you play more games, more risk of injury. With playoffs more and more kids are leaving to go to the NFL, which worsens quality of play. and revenue? you obviously dont know how much these bowl sponsors pay out to each team that plays. with a playoff, wouldnt home teams get all the money? that makes like 4 teams getting extra revenue. The bowl system works.

That wouldn't be bad. It would definitely cut down on injuries and travel time. It would be better for travel purposes, as well. Probably the most workable system on its face. Just a few things:

1. How would the conference title games fit in here? Use them as a means to get an automatic bid into the playoffs, maybe?

2. When would we start an 8-team playoff? After the exam periods sounds like a probable date.

3. How would the top 4 bowls keep their prestige? Use those 4 bowls as the first round of the playoffs, perhaps?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

the playoff system would just have us debating who should have gotten in and who shouldn't. Confrences such as the SEC would lose tons of money by getting only one nat.championship team that would get all the money compared to 8 teams. And of you didnt know, the SEC signed the most lucrative contract for a regular season coverage. WHy? cause every game matters. What about the small schools? what do they play for with a playoff?

Where to start with this one???

That's the point: give us good debate about who the best teams in the nation are. As always, some teams will have an issue. It happens every March. However, the body of regular season work will decide who would get in.

There is NO WAY the SEC would lose money with a playoff system. People will STILL WATCH the regular season SEC games on CBS. It's the SEC, my friend, the best collegiate football in the nation. The deal won't suffer. Likewise, if you keep the bowls AND expand to a playoff, it would generate more money. It's simple economics, man. More games = more money.

Keep the smaller, fairly insignificant bowl games. That's how you keep the Hawaiis and TCUs of the college football universe happy.

What I can't seem to stress enough, is that, yes, every game would still matter! However, I think a "one-and-done" approach is badly off-centered. Three SEC teams would've beaten Ohio State last year, including a pair of 2-loss teams. Under an expanded playoff system, all the worthy teams would get a shot. Likewise, no conference would be slighted: let the best of each conference get in. If you expand the system to, let's say, 16 teams, you could let in a couple of smaller schools, such as "Boise State", to give them a shot at immortality.