Virginia: 3-1, 3-0 ACC

Deleted Account

Virginia held off Georgia Tech inside the Virginia redzone with two minutes to go to lock up a 28-23 victory in Charlottesville. They improve to 3-1 overall, and 3-0 in the ACC.

Now, look at these next three games:

Pitt.: home

Mid. Tenn. St.: away

UConn.: home

Those games are all winnable. Pitt and UConn aren't among Big East worldbeaters this year, and MTST is new to Division I-A. Also, two are at home, with the worst opponent on the road

Next come the ACC games:

Maryland: away

NC St.: away

Wake: home

I am sold on neither Maryland nor Wake after that sloppy game in Winston-Salem today; Wake for nearly letting Maryland beat them, Maryland for letting a rare two-touchdown lead go down the toilet. We all can agree that NC State is awful, right, since their only win was a competitive contest against Wofford?

Disclaimer:

The ACC has seen better days. There are just two teams that look even remotely like conference champions: Boston College and Clemson. So, given that, let's not turn this into a Big East-ACC fight.

This will not slam VT or WVU, and shouldn't even mention WVU anyway, since Virginia doesn't play them. Don't make this thread about them.

Anyway, here's the question:

What are the chances Virginia might, just might, be 9-1 heading to Coral Gables. I say it's possible. I'd like to see it, if for anything, to make that matchup on Thanksgiving weekend worth watching. I know I'm looking far down the road, and believe me, the team has to take it one week at a time. But, from a fans perspective, what are the odds?

[ QUOTE ]

Virginia held off Georgia Tech inside the Virginia redzone with two minutes to go to lock up a 28-23 victory in Charlottesville. They improve to 3-1 overall, and 3-0 in the ACC.

Now, look at these next three games:

Pitt.: home

Mid. Tenn. St.: away

UConn.: home

Those games are all winnable. Pitt and UConn aren't among Big East worldbeaters this year, and MTST is new to Division I-A. Also, two are at home, with the worst opponent on the road

Next come the ACC games:

Maryland: away

NC St.: away

Wake: home

I am sold on neither Maryland nor Wake after that sloppy game in Winston-Salem today; Wake for nearly letting Maryland beat them, Maryland for letting a rare two-touchdown lead go down the toilet. We all can agree that NC State is awful, right, since their only win was a competitive contest against Wofford?

Disclaimer:

The ACC has seen better days. There are just two teams that look even remotely like conference champions: Boston College and Clemson. So, given that, let's not turn this into a Big East-ACC fight.

This will not slam VT or WVU, and shouldn't even mention WVU anyway, since Virginia doesn't play them. Don't make this thread about them.

Anyway, here's the question:

What are the chances Virginia might, just might, be 9-1 heading to Coral Gables. I say it's possible. I'd like to see it, if for anything, to make that matchup on Thanksgiving weekend worth watching. I know I'm looking far down the road, and believe me, the team has to take it one week at a time. But, from a fans perspective, what are the odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could this be the year the Virginia finally "punches VT in the neck"? They sure are winning......Groh's job depends on it....

If the chips fall right, the VT-UVA game could reach "The Game" status by the end of the season, one that would definitely be the biggest game of our season, and the one that would have the most riding on it for Tech.

I think this game will be close, both teams scoring in the 20s. Definitely no repeat of that 52-14 embarrassment 2 years ago. We have a running back, fellers. Cedric Peerman has 56 rushes for 341 yards this season, 6.1 yards a pop. Branden Ore has 55 rushes for 180 yards, or 3.3 yards per carry. That could be due to Virginia's offensive line, which had 3 seniors and 2 juniors. Still, mighty interesting...

The difference might lie in quarterback play. Two scramblers, both young. Jameel Sewell's like the proverbial box of chocolates. You could get a Wyoming game, or you could get today's performance. Stats: 47-76, 420 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INT; 29 rushes, 6 yards, 1 TD. Also, he splits time with Peter Lalich, who, mark my words, will be every bit as good as Matt Schaub was for this team earlier. Stats: 27-43, 260 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. Tyrod Taylor will eventually be the real deal at Tech, but the question is, will he be the real deal come November 24th? Stats are good, not great. 31-62, 421 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT. He does add a good amount on the ground: 24 rushes, 104 yards, 2 TDs.

Prediction? Way, WAY too far away for that, yet. I'm more than happy milking what might turn out to be a nice "fly-under-the-radar" kind of season, and taking it a week at a time. Have to bring it every week however, and when the time comes, this team will bring everything they've got.

Not sure what the win over GT really means.

I came up for the game and we played piss poor.

Our defense can't tackle at all and Taylor Bennett is quickly approaching Reggie Ball status as QB.

Even the UVA fans were shocked that they won because UVA played poorly too, GT just played worse.

I am not sure what the UVA wins mean either.

The loss to Wyoming???

Duke . . their status as the worst team in D1A (or whatever it's called now) is questionable

UNC. .. bad team

GT ...overrated

BC is looking like the team to beat right now in the ACC.

UVA will fall on their faces . . they always find a way to do it.

[ QUOTE ]

Not sure what the win over GT really means.

I came up for the game and we played piss poor.

Our defense can't tackle at all and Taylor Bennett is quickly approaching Reggie Ball status as QB.

Even the UVA fans were shocked that they won because UVA played poorly too, GT just played worse.

I am not sure what the UVA wins mean either.

The loss to Wyoming???

Duke . . their status as the worst team in D1A (or whatever it's called now) is questionable

UNC. .. bad team

GT ...overrated

BC is looking like the team to beat right now in the ACC.

UVA will fall on their faces . . they always find a way to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like a true Hokie...ummm, I mean, Yellow Jacket...LOL...

From what I saw on television, it wasn't as much poor tackling, as a dominant offensive line rolling over an undersized defensive line, and a solid running back moving upfield with a full head of steam.

There is a reason that Taylor Bennett was Reggie Ball's backup. Anyone can see that Vic Hall is having a world of trouble playing cornerback, and yet, the Gailey Group couldn't take any kind of advantage of that.

If you had told me Friday that Virginia would give up three turnovers, I'd have said we would have lost by 17. I, too, am shocked, because Virginia beat Georgia Tech on a day when Virginia wasn't on their game. Virginia has yet to play to their full potential. Wyoming was as bad as it could've been, and it's become progressively better each week. I hope that Saturday under the lights against Pitt that Virginia will take it to them just like they did us in Pittsburgh last year.

Boston College is the team to beat, I'll give you that. Ask the Jackets. However, with this schedule setting up as it has (listed above), I honestly don't see Virginia "falling on their faces". I especially wouldn't make such a comment if I supported a school who's made a killing the last 10 years sputtering while coming down the stretch. I see a team that's between 7-3 and 9-1 going to Miami. I'd be content with 7-3. I'd be ecstatic with 9-1.

UVa is playing alright. They can get better, the coaches have their work cut out. If they finish 8-4 that will be a good year. I don't think they will win more than 9 games. If they do the Coaching Staff should get a good reward.

8-4 is a good estimate (excluding the bowl game, of course). I'd hope for 9-3, especially if Virginia could rattle off a winning streak. I think eight wins assures us that Groh and Son, Inc. will continue to be in operation until that pricey contract expires. Usually its a lack of talent that translates into losses. With Virginia, it's a lack of coaching. Look at the three wins this year, here's the protocol:

Stockpile good lead in 1st quarter.

Shut down offense, go into "conserve lead" mode.

When other team gets close, create just enough havoc to eek out a win.

That's not a lack of talent. That's shotty coaching. For example, when Sewell was 10-13 midway through the second quarter this weekend, Groh dumbly takes him out, puts Lalich in, and watches two straight 3-and-outs, allowing Georgia Tech to find their groove in the meantime. The offense never comes to life again, and the team has to rely on a Georgia Tech muffed punt to pull ahead. Likewise, Groh continues to pull the "Vic Hall" experiment, placing a third-string quarterback at cornerback. I guess he loves seeing Vic get burned 7-9 times per game. Maybe he likes watching a 6'4'', 215 receiver pull little 5'8'', 165 Vic into the end zone. I don't know.

I could go on, and on, and on, and on. I'd keep Groh until 2012 if he'd take us to an outright ACC title once (which has never happened for Virginia, not even in '95, look it up). I'd also wouldn't mind going 0-12 for the next 10 years if they'd win a national title. I'll stop rambling now, it's getting late.