JM regular season history

mavsgrad

I am good friends with a good many loyal Bluefield fans and respect them immensely. From the apt coaching staff to the great administrators to the students to whom I wish the best for and finally to the graduates that I know and appreciate. This is fun if anybody takes these comments as anything but a good Bluefield roasting on my part needs to watch more Dean Martin. Beaver ie Furry Rodent, Splinter Licker, Tree Eater etc. etc. etc. I saw many of my Bluefield friends this past Friday night and it was my pleasure.

As an impartial observer, one could make the case that Bluefield "ran the score up" in these following games.

2001:

Bluefield-69

Man-14

2002:

Bluefield-86

Wyoming East-0

Bluefield-63

Webster County-6 (1st round, playoffs)

2003:

Bluefield-61

Oak Hill-16 (1st round, playoffs)

2004:

Bluefield-61

Shady Spring-15

Bluefield-58

Mount View-0 (after a 17-14 victory in the regular season)

Bluefield-69

Wayne-24 (yes, it's the title game, but still...the argument could be made)

2006:

Bluefield-60

Grundy-7

Before I get get ripped to shreds unwarrantedly, I am totally, completely impartial on this issue. I have no feelings either way whether Bluefield ran up the score in the aforementioned contests. I am merely saying that one could make an argument for these games.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

As an impartial observer, one could make the case that Bluefield "ran the score up" in these following games.

2001:

Bluefield-69

Man-14

2002:

Bluefield-86

Wyoming East-0

Bluefield-63

2003:

Bluefield-61

2004:

Bluefield-61

Shady Spring-15

Bluefield-58

Bluefield-69

2006:

Bluefield-60

Grundy-7

Before I get get ripped to shreds unwarrantedly, I am totally, completely impartial on this issue. I have no feelings either way whether Bluefield ran up the score in the aforementioned contests. I am merely saying that one could make an argument for these games.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think bluefield does run up the score on occasion.

they may substitute, but they continue to run pass plays and runs to the outside instead of just handing it off up the gut.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

2001:

Bluefield-69

Man-14

2002:

Bluefield-86

Wyoming East-0

Bluefield-63

2003:

Bluefield-61

2004:

Bluefield-61

Shady Spring-15

Bluefield-58

Bluefield-69

2006:

Bluefield-60

Grundy-7

[/ QUOTE ]

they may substitute, but they continue to run pass plays and runs to the outside instead of just handing it off up the gut.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you've got your 2nd and 3rd teamers in there, do they not have a right to run the offense they practice after school everyday??? And remember, those kids are usually the ones who will be playing/starting next year, or the year after...do you not want them to get some "real game" experience doing the things there are going to be relied upon doing next season??? There is no substitute for "real game" experience which includes running your "normal" offense...

BTW, I saw everyone of those games in person except for the Webster Co. and Wayne games (although I did watch/record the Wayne game on TV). Bluefield played their reserves quite a bit in all of those games...except maybe the Championship game vs. Wayne...they did "want" to get the record in that one...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

2001:

Bluefield-69

Man-14

2002:

Bluefield-86

Wyoming East-0

Bluefield-63

2003:

Bluefield-61

2004:

Bluefield-61

Shady Spring-15

Bluefield-58

Bluefield-69

2006:

Bluefield-60

Grundy-7

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you've got your 2nd and 3rd teamers in there, do they not have a right to run the offense they practice after school everyday??? And remember, those kids are usually the ones who will be playing/starting next year, or the year after...do you not want them to get some "real game" experience doing the things there are going to be relied upon doing next season??? There is no substitute for "real game" experience which includes running your "normal" offense...

BTW, I saw everyone of those games in person except for the Webster Co. and Wayne games (although I did watch/record the Wayne game on TV). Bluefield played their reserves quite a bit in all of those games...except maybe the Championship game vs. Wayne...they did "want" to get the record in that one...

[/ QUOTE ]

your right to an extent, but when the second team puts up 3 tds on trick plays and such... thats just wrong.

2001:

Bluefield-69

Man-14

Bluefield took out their starters early in the second half. Man's 14 points came against Bluefield reserves. If I remember correctly Bluefield's final 14 points came on a defensive score and a kick return.

2002:

Bluefield-86

Wyoming East-0

Bluefield's starters played the first series of the second half in a 34-0 ballgame, scored and were removed. The JV team played the rest of the 3rd quarter and continued scoring at will. The freshman team played the entire 4th quarter, but WE's starters couldn't stop them from scoring. A freshman tailback for Bluefield rushed for over 180 yards and three touchdowns in the 4th qtr. alone. Outside of putting the middle school team on the field what should Bluefield have done? Plus, after one Bluefield score the WE prick of a coach elected to kickoff to Bluefield instead of having his team receive the ball.

Bluefield-63

Webster County-6

Again, Bluefield starters pulled in the first half and didn't play a down in the second half. Webster's only score came late in the game against mostly freshmen. I remind you that in 2002 Bluefield started mostly sophomores with a few juniors mixed in and a freshman.

2003:

Bluefield-61

Oak Hill-16

The Bluefield starting offense was pulled early in the 3rd quarter after taking a 49-8 lead. The second team, and eventually third team, scored the final two touchdowns. Bluefield took knees on the extra points.

2004:

Bluefield-61

Shady Spring-15

Starters two series into the second half before being pulled.

Bluefield-58

Mount View-0

Offensive starts early third quarter, defensive starters pulled shortly thereafter.

Bluefield-69

Bluefield pulled their offensive starters following the first series of the 3rd quarter. The defensive starters, including kicking team pulled at the same time. Wayne scored 17 of their 24 points against the second team defense. Bluefield put their starters back in mid-4th b/c Wayne's first team was killing the second team defense. This could remotely be considered running up the score as Simon elected to allow Lucas Stone a chance to break the state title game FG record with a 42-yarder late in the game.

2006:

Bluefield-60

Grundy-7

Again, the starters were pulled very early in the second half with reserves rounding out the scoring.

WV needs to institute a mercy such as Virginia has with the running clock in the second half of lopsided games. However, until that point all a coach can be expected to do is pull his starters, allow the backups to play, and simply run the football just as Coach Simon has done time and time and time again in the last five years. There have been numerous games where Bluefield could have easily scored in the 80s and even 90s had they wanted to. There's a difference between taking ones starters out with a big lead and leaving ones starters in with a big lead, continuing to pound a helpless opponent into the ground.

Probably at some point all teams have run up the score on someone for one reason or another. I'm not saying it's right, just saying it happens, I'm sure. And at the same time, I've also seen games where, short of playing cheerleaders, there's not much way to NOT score on some teams on some nights. A big spread in a score doesn't always necessarily mean there was a hidden agenda. Sometimes it just means that EVERYBODY on one team was clicking while on the other team, NO ONE was clicking. We've all seen those games.

Bluefield_Rules,

Little bit of contention. You said:

"Bluefield-69

Bluefield pulled their offensive starters following the first series of the 3rd quarter. The defensive starters, including kicking team pulled at the same time. Wayne scored 17 of their 24 points against the second team defense. Bluefield put their starters back in mid-4th b/c Wayne's first team was killing the second team defense. This could remotely be considered running up the score as Simon elected to allow Lucas Stone a chance to break the state title game FG record with a 42-yarder late in the game."

Rusty Coeburn QB'd well into the fourth quarter and when he came out, he was replaced by Jonathan Repass, a senior who started at WR. The starting offense played virtually the entire game, and Repass threw a TD pass up 62-24 with 3 minutes left.

Bluefield put its second defense in for exactly one play...in which Wayne scored on a 73-yard TD pass. The wheel route down the left sideline to Tyler Michael beat Mike Davis for a TD...that was the third TD I believe. The second was set up by a big run by Josh Powers, who was run out of bounds by David Perdue...if I recall correctly. The first TD was set up by a pass from Newell to Marcum in which Davis tackled him inside the 10. You didn't substitute in mass that game until the last TD...then you put the starters back in because I guess 62-24 was too close for Freddy.

I never had a problem with Bluefield fans, or the players (2 were ejected after the game got out of hand, but that happens) and their actions...but Freddy Simon is not on my Christmas card list...lol.

Just an opinion from the opposing side.

Actually I think what was happening was that the Bluefield staff was trying to remove its name from the state record books as being the victim of the largest margin of victory that had been hung on them by Wyoming East a few years earlier.

[ QUOTE ]

Bluefield_Rules,

Little bit of contention. You said:

"Bluefield-69

Bluefield pulled their offensive starters following the first series of the 3rd quarter. The defensive starters, including kicking team pulled at the same time. Wayne scored 17 of their 24 points against the second team defense. Bluefield put their starters back in mid-4th b/c Wayne's first team was killing the second team defense. This could remotely be considered running up the score as Simon elected to allow Lucas Stone a chance to break the state title game FG record with a 42-yarder late in the game."

Rusty Coeburn QB'd well into the fourth quarter and when he came out, he was replaced by Jonathan Repass, a senior who started at WR. The starting offense played virtually the entire game, and Repass threw a TD pass up 62-24 with 3 minutes left.

Bluefield put its second defense in for exactly one play...in which Wayne scored on a 73-yard TD pass. The wheel route down the left sideline to Tyler Michael beat Mike Davis for a TD...that was the third TD I believe. The second was set up by a big run by Josh Powers, who was run out of bounds by David Perdue...if I recall correctly. The first TD was set up by a pass from Newell to Marcum in which Davis tackled him inside the 10. You didn't substitute in mass that game until the last TD...then you put the starters back in because I guess 62-24 was too close for Freddy.

I never had a problem with Bluefield fans, or the players (2 were ejected after the game got out of hand, but that happens) and their actions...but Freddy Simon is not on my Christmas card list...lol.

Just an opinion from the opposing side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluefield's starting defense gave only one touchdown to Wayne, that was the first touchdown. Wayne had a huge pass play on that drive to the TE Marcum. Bluefield reinstalled a defensive starter here or there in the 4th b/c the defense, mainly the secondary, was getting torn up by the Wayne starting offense. And there were many angry Bluefield fans in the stands that night b/c Beaver threw a pass late in the game for a touchdown. It was the one game that I can say Bluefield even remotely could be called for runnin up the score on an opponent.

As for the players being ejected, there was some dirty things that took place throughout the game on both sides. And the Wayne player that leveled Rusty Coeburn in the back after the Mike Davis INT for a touchdown early in the second half should have been ejected; that started the "bad blood." I honestly believe that played a little into Bluefield deciding to keep looking for the endzone even with reserves in the game. Regardless, Bluefield shouldn't have been passing late in the game.