James Monroe vs. Liberty

MavsRock

The Mavericks can lock in a playoff spot if they win homecoming Friday. Liberty's looking alot better than the last couple of years, Mavericks will have to be at their best again. Hopefully we get out of this with a win and no injuries and give ourselves time during the off week to get some guys healed up. We're certainly not scraping the bottom of the barrel for players, but we've got more people hurt than I'd like to see.

On another note, this is the 3rd strait week the Mav's have played a top 10 AA team, so maybe some of the efforts to better the schedule are starting to pay off.

I don’t know much about Liberty either other than they are ranked #8 and their only loss was to Westside by a score of 6-14. Teams they have beaten are Summers (39-7), Pikeview (48-6), Oak Hill (38-13) and Sherman (33-12), none of which are currently ranked any higher than #22 in AA. The few articles I’ve read on Liberty seem to indicate they are a defensively physical team. I’m guessing Liberty will roll into Lindside Friday night emotionally high and with a strong desire to make a big statement by taking down the currently ranked #3 Mavericks. It would be in James Monroe’s best interest to strike fast, hard, and often and to take Liberty emotionally out of the game early on. If we get them frustrated early, maybe they’ll implode and take themselves out of the game which will make the job much easier.

It would be my personal guess that Liberty Raleigh can’t be any better than Scott or Wyoming East so if James Monroe comes out playing like they have been, hopefully it'll be another win for the Mavericks. Then again, I haven't seen Liberty Raleigh in action this year.

It's for sure that James Monroe is definitely in the tough part of their schedule now and has been for several weeks. And still looming in the not too distant future is both Mt. View and Bluefield. I'm glad James Monroe has a bye week next week to rest and reload.

At this point last year Liberty was 4-1 and ranked 10 by WVSSAC Mavs traveled to Liberty and won 44-13. Overall record between the two teams JM-4 LIB-0, 2006 44-13, 2005 40-6 2004 Reg Season 28-10 Playoff 12-10.