Bluefield/James Monroe postgame thoughts...

Bluefield_Rules

Hats off to James Monroe on a game well played. It was what I thought it would be tonight; a hard-nose, close football game for four quarters. As usual, James Monroe was a well discipline, scrappy bunch that hung around and hung around, showing a lot of heart. However, for James Monroe to make a serious push for the state title they MUST develop a steady and reliable passing game. The lack of a passing attack has hurt them time and time again in the playoffs. They cannot play from behind against the elite in AA, especially late in games. Four, five, and six yard gains are great when you're in the lead late in games. It doesn't cut it when you're trailing though.

Bluefield also showed a lot of heart tonight, especially the defense. The old saying is that defense wins championship, if so then Bluefield is as good as shape as anyone else in AA. They bent a couple of times, but didn't break. The goal-line stand following the interception by James Monroe was the clincher.

It was kind of frustrating to see Bluefield go away from Shawn Brooks, who was a BEAST out there tonight. However, I guess hindsight is 20/20; thankfully Bluefield is able to look back on a victory. Obviously, Will Cole was well off tonight, underthrowing or overthrowing open receivers the entire night. Maybe the constant dizzle making the ball wet, I'm sure, affected his throws. Whatever the reason, he was definitely not in rhythm. Back to Brooks, that kid has come a LONG ways as a player physical, but more so a mentally. He's more into the games mentally than ever before. He's become a leader, both with his play and his emotion. Gone are the days of stupid and costly personal foul penalties. If he continues playing the way he is right now it'll be hard for anyone in AA to stop him with the likes of Ponder and Joyner looming as down the field threats in the passing game.

I just hope we don't see a repeat of the offensive play calling that we saw in the 4th quarter tonight for Bluefield. Passing when you have the ball with a lead in the 4th against a ball possession, run oriented team. They also went away from Brooks in the 4th which baffled me considering the way he dominated JM inside of the tackles tonight. I won't do too much complaining though as I'm glad we came away with the win against a very good team.

James Monroe simply made more critical mistakes than Bluefield and it cost us last night. The turning point was late in the 1sr half when we were driving and had a chance to go up by 2 scores, and had either a holding or procedure penalty that killed the drive, and set up the long runs by Brooks and Bowes that tied it up. Had we not done that, it coulld've been a very different game.

Offensively we had a couple of guys hurt that I wasn't aware of and it may have just hurt our execution enough to have made the difference, but when someone's hurt, the replacement has to be ready to go.

I was a little surprised at both teams' complete inability to establish a passing game, Bluefield never had any business throwing, we've go to do a better job stopping #16 if we see these guys again.

We may see ya'll again, if we do it will be at least Thanksgiving weekend, and ALOT can and will happen between now and then. Time to get ready for Greenbrier East who looks like they got it together last night, they won't be much easier than the Beavers. Congrat's to Bluefield this week, safe trip to Charleston next week.

I believe both teams felt they didn't play their best football. Many things could have factored into that, but the biggest factor in my opinion was the opponent tonight. It was a great test for both teams and will only aid each down the road in the playoffs. James Monroe needed to play in a close, competitive game before the playoffs I felt.

Bluefield played a totally different defense that threw James Monroe off. James Monroe changed a few things that threw Bluefield off. Neither team played their best games offensively because of these changes. But the tactical strategy by both coaches played into a defensive chess game. Hats off to both of these great teams for a classic game that will probably be a prelude to something bigger.

It wasn't James Monroe's best performance, but it also wasn't their worst or else the scored would've been 42-7. I knew going in that unless James Monroe played their worst game of the year, they would be able to give Bluefield a good ballgame. I also thought going in that it would be the team who scored first who would win, but as it turned out, it was the team who scored last. Even though it was a loss, I don't really feel that bad about it. James Monroe hung in for all 4 quarters and the only time I felt like they were really out of it and the game was over, was when the last second ticked off the clock and the game really was over. On another note and looking on to the next game, I'm really concerned with the number of injuries for JM. The pregame rumor of one of the linemen not playing held true, and it wasn't Romo who's been fighting injury on and off all season it seems. I also noticed several other key players who still seemed as though they haven't yet made it back to 100%. Too much limping going on the whole game. And I still don't understand why one of our best blocking backs wasn't in that assignment last night on offense. I'm sure there's a good reason for it. I hope going into the playoffs, these things get better. Next for James Monroe is AAA Greenbrier East. I guess I'll be in Lewisburg next Friday night.

Again, congratulations to Bluefield.

[ QUOTE ]

It wasn't James Monroe's best performance, but it also wasn't their worst or else the scored would've been 42-7. I knew going in that unless James Monroe played their worst game of the year, they would be able to give Bluefield a good ballgame. I also thought going in that it would be the team who scored first who would win, but as it turned out, it was the team who scored last. Even though it was a loss, I don't really feel that bad about it. James Monroe hung in for all 4 quarters and the only time I felt like they were really out of it and the game was over, was when the last second ticked off the clock and the game really was over. On another note and looking on to the next game, I'm really concerned with the number of injuries for JM. The pregame rumor of one of the linemen not playing held true, and it wasn't Romo who's been fighting injury on and off all season it seems. I also noticed several other key players who still seemed as though they haven't yet made it back to 100%. Too much limping going on the whole game. And I still don't understand why one of our best blocking backs wasn't in that assignment last night on offense. I'm sure there's a good reason for it. I hope going into the playoffs, these things get better. Next for James Monroe is AAA Greenbrier East. I guess I'll be in Lewisburg next Friday night.

Again, congratulations to Bluefield.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well first let me say my hat is off to Mavs they battled the entire game. It was as expected a truly great high school football game. As for the JM injury problems, with the very physical type of game that is the trademark of the Witt era teams at JMHS injuries are to be expected. It is very difficult for a high school player to be subjected to that type of punishment week in and week out and not have some injuries. Good luck against G-East next week and hope all the injuried players heal quickley.