Bluefield's home playoff record...

Bluefield_Rules

I did some research this evening to find out Bluefield's all-time record at home during the playoffs. While I knew it was good with only one loss, I didn't realize it was as good as it is. The Beavers are 22-1 all-time at home in the playoffs. The only loss was to East Bank, 22-14, in 1996 when the Beavers had to play much of that game with a third string sophomore QB at the helm after Glenn Keene separated his shoulder.

I knew they hadn't lost many, just didn't know that was the only one. Ironically, from what I've heard, 1996 was probably the best or 2nd best team they've had in Bluefield in the last 30 years, behind possibly their 2004 squad.

Yes that was one of the great Bluefield teams but didnt get to the big dance. It was a tough fought game i remember in the semifinal with East Bank, losing 22-14. that was Yubrenal's senior year and they just had a game plan that stuffed him.

the 96 game against East Bank was a very winnable game if not for a player named Simon that went for an INT and missed and EB got a loooong td, then with Blfd driving for the tie late in the game and 1st and goal, this same Simon player gets a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, moves em out to like the 20 if i rememeber corrrectly and the Beavs turn the ball over on downs on about the 4 yrd line. that was a hard loss to accept, Blfd was the better team, Keene came back in after the dislocation and continued to lead the team but it was too lil too late. In that game i did see the best fake punt ive ever seen tho, and the Beavers pulled it off! What also hurts is they couldve been the first 3peat champion, 95 lost to Mussleman by 4 after a bonehead play on the kick, 96 lost to EB after injury and penalties..97 won it all...think about that

Keene returned on the final drive despite the injury and marched Bluefield down the field inside the EB 15-yardline. The game ended, however, when Keene threw a beautiful pass to the endzone that a Bluefield player couldn't handle, as the ball bounced off his pads into the arms of a East Bank player. It was one of those "what if" games, where Bluefield ate EB up on the first offensive series with Keene at QB. However, fate dealt its hand and the Beavers were the unfortunate losers that night...

NO. 95, 96 was too dependant on one player.. 97, no hope without him... and you see what a team that plays together can do, not hoping for that one player to it all.. yea, that could have easily happend tho.

[ QUOTE ]

What also hurts is they couldve been the first 3peat champion, 95 lost to Mussleman by 4 after a bonehead play on the kick,

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember that. I hated that. Musselman kicks off, and the Bluefield returners treated it like a punt, and just looked at the dang thing! Musselman came down, and thought the same thing, and they "downed the ball", which made it their ball. They then had it first and goal, and scored.

That had to be a total mental block on the returners...the kickoff is a LIVE BALL all the time.