Nice article on Beckley coach Ron Kidd and his situation...

Beckley_WWHS

Best wishes to that gentleman. Coach Kidd has taken flack from some Beckley fans since replacing Barksdale, but he's a very respectable man regardless of what you think of his coaching.

Not to take the change the subject or belittle the real information of this thread, but it's interesting to see that the Nabors boys are on the Beckley bench; those two will make fine head coaches one day. Having two former Beckley stars coach the current team will only aid in making them play and work harder to get better.

Coach Kidd is a good man, a religious man, a hard worker. I think no matter who replaced Barksdale was going to hear the talk from the fans and feel the pressure. Barksdale is one of those guys that just can't be replaced and everything be just like before. Kidd hasn't done a bad job.

I really like the Nabors boys. They get along well with the kids. They will be your friend but at the same time they aren't afraid to stand up to the kids. I saw the youngest one, Gene, at a football game get on a group of kids for cussing. There were women and children around. He made it clear that if he heard it again, he would have them removed. I think it is good that the kids have someone like them that will be a friend but at the same time will teach them right from wrong.

I think they are a nice boost for the Beckley bench. Beckley has the potential to have a good team this season. I agree with a statement I heard Maris Lowery say. "I think Beckley has a legitimate shot to win the state title. They may not be in the driver's seat, but they are in the car".

Nearly everyone returns from last season's young team that got off to a very rough start before bouncing back somewhat. Michael Fortune and Ryan Powers are back at guard. Athletic wings, 6'4" Cameron Hallcomb, and 6'5" Damien Tunstalle are back. Vashawn Wood and Travis Parkulo are back inside. Also Joseph Rodriguez is back after a year's absence. His quickness on defense and true point guard skills will help this team. Kevin Starkey is back after being lost last season to grades. Also, 6'5" 9th grader Joseph Anthony will play varsity. This kid has a ton of potential.

Here is a YouTube video of Anthony going up for a dunk last year in middle school. The quality of the video is not very good. It's hard to believe that this kid was just in the 8th grade. lol