Bluefield beats Graham...again...

GMan

Spurtability...Beavers pull away for victory

BLUEFIELD — For more than two quarters, Graham was able to contain the spurtability that Bluefield basketball is known for. The problem for the G-Men is basketball is a four-quarter game.

Shaun Brooks scored 11 of his 17 points in the third quarter, and Bluefield used a 25-8 second half run to pull away for a 68-49 win over crosstown rival Graham on Friday night at Bluefield State’s Ned Shott Gymnasium.

“We talked about spurts and scoring in bunches before the game started,” Graham head coach Glynn Carlock said. “That’s one thing we tried to eliminate. We knew that Bluefield scores in spurts and bunches and we had to weather the storm.

“There were times there in the third quarter where we just couldn’t do it.”

Bluefield (5-1) had lost in its last outing at Princeton, and found themselves in a close contest with the G-Men (2-6), which lost their sixth straight game.

“I was surprised they were that close, but in basketball anything can go wrong,” Brooks said. “I came out here prepared for a win, I was ready for a win.

“(Last week) was pretty tough, but the next time we play Princeton we’ll get them.”

Graham, which turned the ball over 12 times to fall behind 18-5 in the first quarter, saw what Princeton did to Bluefield last week and tried to do the same thing, taking the ball inside and narrowing the margin to 30-24 at the break.

Ryan Woodson, a 6-foot-3 sophomore, led the G-Men with 10 points, while 6-2 Jason Palmer added nine. Both proved effective close to the basket against the Beavers. J.K. Goins added eight points for Graham.

“We knew we had to feed it inside and Ryan and Jason really stepped up big for us tonight,” Carlock said. “We knew that was our game plan going in was trying to feed the post after we saw what Princeton did with (Bluefield, and try to hit the boards.

“We had the outline to try and get the job done and we just weren’t able to do it through the second half. It’s disappointing when you have the keys to beat a team and you can’t just get it done.”

Jordan Bryan’s three-pointer at the buzzer moved the G-Men within six at the break.

“We were playing good in the first quarter and then the second quarter it got real bad,” Brooks said. “We came in the locker room and coach talked to us and we knew what we had to do and we came out and did it.

“We needed to take better shots and be more focused and hustle more.”

Three straight baskets from Woodson and a shot from Palmer kept the G-Men within 38-32 at the four minute mark, but that’s when the Beavers found its spurt, while the G-Men didn’t score in the first 4:42 of the final quarter.

“You’ve got to give them credit because they pressure you for the whole game,” said Carlock, whose G-Men committed more than 30 turnovers in the game. “I think they threw three different presses at us and we were prepared for two of them, but the third one got us a little bit.

“We shot the ball well in the first half, but we just couldn’t come through in the second.”

Brooks sparked the Beavers, hitting three straight baskets as Bluefield pulled ahead 50-40 at the buzzer. By the time Graham scored again, the G-Men trailed 63-40. Ansel Ponder had 17 points for Bluefield, and also added five assists, including three in the deciding period.

“Shaun played with a lot of heart tonight,” Havens said. “There are times when Shaun looks out of control, but what it is is Shaun is just playing so hard and going after it so hard that he looks that way sometimes.

“I’d rather have Shaun playing hard than him being pretty out there.”

Bluefield built the margin to as much as 24 before crowd favorite Jimmy Simon scored three buckets for Graham in the final minute.

“It was good to win. We saw some good things and we saw some bad things,” Havens said. “Our ability to change our defenses is getting better and our offense, they’re still not sure where we’ve got to go with the ball, but we’re getting there.”

Craig Ponder added seven for the Beavers, which will face sectional rivals PikeView and James Monroe next week.

“We’ve got a tough week coming up, a big sectional week,” Havens said. “It’s important to play our game and we just hope we play with intensity and play hard on the defensive end.

“We have kids that do what we want them to do and that’s what’s important. The rest of it will fall into place if we do that.”

Graham, which opens Southwest District play next Tuesday by hosting Marion, will travel today to Floyd County to face Giles in a game that was postponed by weather last month.

“We feel like we can build off this...” said Carlock, whose G-Men dropped a 71-57 decision to Giles last week. “We’ve got to get better and we’re working hard and I’m proud of our effort tonight. Bluefield is just the better team.”

—Contact Brian Woodson at bwoodson@bdtonline.com

at Bluefield State College

GRAHAM (2-6)

Brewster 1 0-0 2, Goins 4 0-0 8, Hunter 2 0-0 4, Ryan Woodson 5 0-0 10, Bryan 2 0-0 5, Palmer 4 1-2 9, Dennah 0 0-0 0, Sarver 1 0-0 2, A.Marrs 1 0-0 3, D.Marrs 0 0-0 0, Jeffers 0 0-0 0, Lowery 0 0-0 0, Landreth 0 0-0 0, Simon 3 0-0 6. Totals 23 1-2 49.

BLUEFIELD (5-1)

C.Ponder 2 2-2 7, Furrow 1 1-2 3, Shaun Brooks 8 1-1 17, Ansel Ponder 6 5-7 17, Baker 3 0-0 6, Cole 0 0-0 0, Lilly 3 0-0 6, Casey 2 0-0 4, Price 0 1-2 1, Mitchell 1 1-2 3, Powell 0 0-0 0, Patterson 2 0-0 4, Crawford 0 0-0 0. Totals 28 11-16 68.

Graham................................5 19 16 9 — 49

Bluefield.............................18 12 20 18 — 68

3-point goals: GR 2 (Bryan 1, A.Marrs 1); BF 1 (C.Ponder 1). Total fouls: GR 15; BF 10. Fouled out: none. Technicals: none. JV—BF won.

Damn Carlock is dumb. 1st. What coach subs 4 and 5 players at one time? answer-one that has a 2-6 record. 2. Why does the quarterback from Graham and this Brewster kid even touch the court? answer-the first one has some hook-ups with the family and the other i have no clue about. 3. Does Carlock know what he has sitting on the bench? answer-NO.Cole Sarver should be starting. when Wilson gets back he and Palmer would tear any post up. Jeffers went to camp with my son and won numerous awards. Woodson should be the 5th man. Bryan is NOT a point guard and cannot handle pressure, he is a shooter and that is it. Ive been a Graham fan for many years but i begin to wonder do we want to start a losing tradition at Graham?

if you ask me...the starting 5 should be Goins Palmer Wilson when hes healthy with JD and Jeffers running the point...JD should not take the ball down the court if he still does like he did last year...Jeffers is the better ball handler and Cole should be the 6th man...

[ QUOTE ]

Damn Carlock is dumb. 1st. What coach subs 4 and 5 players at one time? answer-one that has a 2-6 record. 2. Why does the quarterback from Graham and this Brewster kid even touch the court? answer-the first one has some hook-ups with the family and the other i have no clue about. 3. Does Carlock know what he has sitting on the bench? answer-NO.Cole Sarver should be starting. when Wilson gets back he and Palmer would tear any post up. Jeffers went to camp with my son and won numerous awards. Woodson should be the 5th man. Bryan is NOT a point guard and cannot handle pressure, he is a shooter and that is it. Ive been a Graham fan for many years but i begin to wonder do we want to start a losing tradition at Graham?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone else is beginning to see what I've seen since Little Glynn was coaching the JV teams...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been like that at Graham for years, the best players don't always play....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been like that at Graham for years, the best players don't always play....

[/ QUOTE ]

They did when Coach Phelps was at the helm...