Duke vs. VT

bluefieldRocks

[ QUOTE ]

I think our last thread about the game got way off track and out of hand. So please use this to discuss the game

and hopefully that will take away our problem of having 2 threads in 2 different parts of the forum

[/ QUOTE ]

Rocks, were you all really board last night? I mean 386 million posts on that one thread?!? damn!! lol

Back to the game...Jeff Allen's absence really hurt the Hokies last night and their youth showed against Duke's experience and perimeter shooting. The officiating is some of the worst I have ever seen (even without Mike Eades.) Without Jeff Allen down low to draw the double team, Duke was able to stay outside and the Hokie shooters and no one got a free look at the basket. Credit Duke for playing well on the outside on both sides of the court.

Hokies have a quick turnaround for a game in Boston Saturday at 4.

Washington is a great athlete, however, him flopping around constantly only hurts his team. I couldnt even count how many baskets were easily handed to Duke players after Washington flopped and left a lane wide open. If I were Vt's coach I would have taken him out, no matter how crucial he is to the team, because what he was doing last night was only detrimental.

I agree. But your forgetting the numerous classless plays where he tripped Kyle Singler. And then he tried to take out Demarcus Nelson's legs out from underneath him. You just dont do stuff like that.

Coach K did a very good job of keeping his players calm in that situation. Which is why he is one of my idols. And it was awesome when i got to talk to Coach K last year in Charleston when he was there recruiting Pat Pat. He brought Johnny Dawkins with him it was just awesome.

i ate some of Pete Rose's french fries once. walked over to his table at a restaurant, sat down and had some good conversation. good guy that Pete Rose.

i know that doesnt have anything to do with Coach K. but its still pretty awesome.

Get this, My uncle works for Consol out of Pittsburgh he used to live around this area but they transfered him. Anyways he had season tickets to Pitt games (he's a VT grad by the way) and him and my aunt were up in a box above the stadium and my aunt accidentally bumped into somebody she said sorry and walked away...My uncle looked at her and said "You just bumped into Dan Marino"..and she had no clue who that was... I was pretty upset at her

anyways, dan was there because Pitt was retiring his jersey...Or something like that..

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Coach K did a very good job of keeping his players calm in that situation. Which is why he is one of my idols. And it was awesome when i got to talk to Coach K last year in Charleston when he was there recruiting Pat Pat. He brought Johnny Dawkins with him it was just awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may need some new idols. Ask any ACC basketball official and they will tell you he is the most arrogant coach as well as the one that uses the most curse words. It has been stated by many officals that it is worse than Bobby Knight. He also has made choking references to officals, but since he is made out to be a good guy no one says anything.

Not to mention he right hand man is a jerk. After a confrontation that somewhat involved him, and also got raymond felton a few stitches from a rough play by duke, (and lets not forget the Henderson incident as well) Johnny dawkins would NOT shake Matt Dohertys hand. To me that is disrespectful and not classy at all.

I also think that stems from coach K, who by the way was a forer assistant to the Bobby Knight. I also think he does things wrtong at duke but gets by with them, his assistants have gotten trouble numerous times after laeving duke(quinn snyder)

In the end, Coach K has been a good coach. I can not argue that. his record speaks for itself. however, i do not think that he is a good person from what i have seen.

And as for him keeping his players calm, didnt one get a technical late in the game? thats right he did. Duke has had plenty of incidents, more than a lot of ACC schools, coach K does not have control. Take Gerald Henderson for exampole.

[ QUOTE ]

Ask any ACC basketball official and they will tell you he is the most arrogant coach as well as the one that uses the most curse words. It has been stated by many officals that it is worse than Bobby Knight

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Ok Mr. I sling chairs across the court..

[ QUOTE ]

they will tell you he is the most arrogant coach as well as the one that uses the most curse words. It has been stated by many officals that it is worse than Bobby Knight. He also has made choking references to officals, but since he is made out to be a good guy no one says anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

That Coach K is startin to grow on me now haha...just kidding

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Ask any ACC basketball official and they will tell you he is the most arrogant coach as well as the one that uses the most curse words. It has been stated by many officals that it is worse than Bobby Knight

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Ok Mr. I sling chairs across the court..

[/ QUOTE ]

if you remove your bias for one second you will see it as well. Honestly, Coach K has the worst mouth in all of college basketball. I know ACC officals and they will agree without a doubt.

here are some limks to coach K's problems...

on his players stomping others (christian laettner)

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/03/05/does-coach-k-have-a-discipline-problem/

his cursing...

http://www.travelgolf.com/blogs/chris.baldwin/2006/03/14/duke_coach_mike_krzyzewski_sports_ultima

http://www.thesmokingpen.com/sports/apology-appropriate.php

and here is a video of the stomp... coach k never suspended him either...

Tail you curse and you put people down, but do I hate you? no. Ive heard you plenty times of curse, express youre hatred about another person and put people down plenty of times but I wont question you and make bad words towards you. This is like the whole Charlie Weis special that I believe 60 minutes ran once. It had to do with his cursing on the sidelines and how it was "innapropriate behavior for Notre Dame." Well news flash, every coach does it. Every coach curses at officials, umpires, teams whoever. It happens. Does it make it right? no. But it is just a part of the game.

In pretty much any sport you can get away with cursing and arguing, except for maybe high school baseball. Bluefield football coach can be heard in the stands of Mitchell Stadium screaming his expletive filled frustration towards an official and does that make him a bad person? no. If it does anything it increases the level of support from his players. This is a problem I had with last year's baseball coach at Bluefield high school. He never argued anything, never once made any showing of disagreement with a call and never truly showed any support to his players' cause. Everyone, including you Tail, had a problem with this.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Tail you curse and you put people down, but do I hate you? no. Ive heard you plenty times of curse, express youre hatred about another person and put people down plenty of times but I wont question you and make bad words towards you. This is like the whole Charlie Weis special that I believe 60 minutes ran once. It had to do with his cursing on the sidelines and how it was "innapropriate behavior for Notre Dame." Well news flash, every coach does it. Every coach curses at officials, umpires, teams whoever. It happens. Does it make it right? no. But it is just a part of the game.

In pretty much any sport you can get away with cursing and arguing, except for maybe high school baseball. Bluefield football coach can be heard in the stands of Mitchell Stadium screaming his expletive filled frustration towards an official and does that make him a bad person? no. If it does anything it increases the level of support from his players. This is a problem I had with last year's baseball coach at Bluefield high school. He never argued anything, never once made any showing of disagreement with a call and never truly showed any support to his players' cause. Everyone, including you Tail, had a problem with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dean Smith NEVER cursed. NEVER. He did not want his mother to hear him curse, so he never did. However, Coach K did swear at Dean Smith. After Coach K yelled at one of Smiths players, Smith said "Mike, dont yell at my players" coach K responded, "hey dean, F**K YOU!" what an outstanding individual.

I may have cursed, but have I done so on ESPN, national television, or in front of a bunch of people? Have you ever seen me cuss at work? No you havent. Its one thing to cuss with your buddies, but when your on tv and an idol for many kids its different. Not only does he cuss, but he does it EXCESSIVELY. we all know this. Grown men can cuss, and yes it has a place in the game, but coach K takes it to an extreme. No one can disagree with this.

BTW, I have never heard coach simon once, and i have been going to games for all 18 years of my life. I know he has been on refs quite a few times, but i have never "heard" him in the stands.

But we arent just talking about his cussing... we are talking about how he treats other people. Lets not forget how he made a choking gesture to an offical, and was never punished. Not to mention he doesnt punish his players. He wasnt even going to suspend Gerald henderson, just like he wasnt going to suspend Laettner. He is dirty, end of story.

i heard coach simon two times for sure this year. but now back to the other part. coach K curses, yes, but plenty of coaches do. Ive seen plenty of players and coaches when the camera hits them they have curse words coming from their lips.

should it not be done? well that depends on what each person personally feels. as for espn, even commentators on some events curse and it is aired whether on purpose or not. by on purpose i mean whether it accidently slipped in there or if it was definitely while they were talking in their feature.

I am not trying to stick up for Coach K in saying that he is an outstanding individual because NO ONE can judge that other than the people that no him personally OR if he were in the limelight all the time. Coach K is a very, very well known college basketball coach, however, that is where his celebrity status stops, with basketball. he is not a figure outside of basketball. he is not a pop culture icon to where pretty much any regular citizen can say they know of his real life.

As far as comparing cursing on ESPN or national tv to everyday cursing, there is no difference. speaking words is speaking words. if you cannot tolerate it being done by a coach of a team that you despise then why tolerate being done by some of your "buddies" or yourself for that matter? On the issue of being dirty, I, along with many, many other people dont see what youre seeing. Coach K is one of the most highly respected individuals in sports. Last time I checked, dirty players and/or coaches arent very well respected people.

[ QUOTE ]

heard coach simon two times for sure this year

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have had him in Weight Lifting like I did my senior year you would have heard alot more...I love coach simon though, he's a funny cusser...

He once told somebody to "quit playing with your damn saucer and get out there"