Duke vs. VT

bluefieldRocks

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

i heard coach simon two times for sure this year. but now back to the other part. coach K curses, yes, but plenty of coaches do. Ive seen plenty of players and coaches when the camera hits them they have curse words coming from their lips.

should it not be done? well that depends on what each person personally feels. as for espn, even commentators on some events curse and it is aired whether on purpose or not. by on purpose i mean whether it accidently slipped in there or if it was definitely while they were talking in their feature.

I am not trying to stick up for Coach K in saying that he is an outstanding individual because NO ONE can judge that other than the people that no him personally OR if he were in the limelight all the time. Coach K is a very, very well known college basketball coach, however, that is where his celebrity status stops, with basketball. he is not a figure outside of basketball. he is not a pop culture icon to where pretty much any regular citizen can say they know of his real life.

As far as comparing cursing on ESPN or national tv to everyday cursing, there is no difference. speaking words is speaking words. if you cannot tolerate it being done by a coach of a team that you despise then why tolerate being done by some of your "buddies" or yourself for that matter? On the issue of being dirty, I, along with many, many other people dont see what youre seeing. Coach K is one of the most highly respected individuals in sports. Last time I checked, dirty players and/or coaches arent very well respected people.

[/ QUOTE ]

please find where ESPN anchors have cursed. I guarantee they would have been punished for it. One of their anchors on First take cursed in public, not on tv mind you, at a roast where cursing is normally done, and was made to take leave to rethink what she had done.

And cursing among your freinds and cursing on TV IS different. Everyone knows that. Anyone on this board want to go to work and cuss as many times as Coach K does during one game? I dont think so. He is in a workplace, with many eyes on him and he does not refrain. its not like im making this up, go watch a game and count.

lets not forget he cussed out a few newspaper editors that went to duke because they gave his players a 'B' in the class.

But the cursing issue aside, you are leaving out the fact that coach K allows his players to get away with violent actions, and performed demeaning gestures to officals. You sit here and critize VT for when a player stomps on a player, yet VT suspended him forever. Deron Washington does it, you critize him too. And yes, hewas suspended. But when Coah K's player does it, no one cares. everyone sees the play afterward, the game winner. Buts let not forget that Coach K denies that it EVER happened. When it was brought up last year, coach K claims it "wasnt a stomp" and that christian put his foot down for "balance". what a liar. plaese go look at the video i posted. anyone can see that he stomped on him. But yet coach K does nothing.

Like i said earlier, he obviously is a good basketball coach. But he does not conduct well and tries to get around the rules. like with grades....

ESPN report: Is Duke making the grade?

'Outside the Lines' segment examines school's academic record among its athletes

February 27, 2002

By BRYAN STRICKLAND

Herald Sun

Duke's men's basketball program often basks in the limelight cast by ESPN.

But Friday night, the sports network will shed a somewhat less flattering light on the program.

The network's 'Outside the Lines' series will debut a one-hour show entitled 'Zero Percent: College's Basketball Graduation Crisis,' on Friday at 8 p.m.

While the investigative report focuses on the fact that 36 Division I schools didn't graduate a single black men's basketball scholarship player that enrolled from 1990-94, the show also devotes a section to Duke.

In introducing the 10-minute piece, host Bob Ley holds up Duke as the gold standard for a successful balance of athletic and academic success. But while Ley says that Duke had a 100-percent graduation rate in three of the five years chronicled, 'the reality might not be as ideal as advertised.'

'Sometimes the Dukes of the world get a free pass, even from the media,' said Steve Delsohn, the 'Outside The Lines' reporter for the Duke portion of the episode. 'So I think it's healthy to sometimes look at schools that have a pristine reputation to see if it holds up.

'We were looking at schools with lower graduation rates, so we decided we should also look at some of the schools with high graduation rates to see if that equated with guys getting a strong education or if there was some coasting going on.

'It's not positive; it's not negative. It's just fair.'

The report doesn't accuse Duke of any wrongdoing, but it suggests that Duke athletes get the chance to load up on easy classes with a preferential registration system.

It says that Duke basketball players gravitate toward sociology, which is considered by some to be one of the easier majors at the school, and it questions the difficulty of the summer-school and independent-study courses that have helped juniors Jason Williams and Carlos Boozer close in on graduating in three years.

'You always look for ways to do things better, and the questions that this show raises and that other people are raising are all legitimate questions,' Chris Kennedy, Duke's senior associate director of athletics, said after viewing the show for the first time Tuesday afternoon. 'You always have to ask those questions, and you always have to look at your practices and your results in light of those things.

'Having said that, I think we do a pretty good job of educating them in all kinds of ways. If you could somehow get the freshman Nate James and the senior Nate James in a room at the same time and somehow talk to them, you'd be struck by how [he has] developed and matured and grown. And that's a result of the total experience - the classroom, the basketball, the social, the responsibilities that they have to assume.'

The ESPN report quotes Stuart Rojstaczer, an environmental-sciences professor at Duke, as saying that athletes get 'first dibs' on registering for easier classes.

Kennedy said that about two years ago, the school began putting all athletes in the first registration group within their class.

Kennedy said the change was made because athletes generally need to secure morning classes in order to free up their afternoons for athletics.

'That doesn't mean, as the show implied, that athletes get first crack at all classes and fill up classes ahead of everybody else,' Kennedy said. 'That can't happen under that system.'

Kennedy also questioned the idea that sociology is the major that athletes flock to because of its reputation as an easy major. According to Kennedy, a study of grade distributions puts sociology in the middle of the pack at Duke.

The report also examines how Boozer and Williams have gotten into position to graduate in three years by taking heavy course loads in summer school.

Boozer and Williams both took two independent-study classes during Duke's second summer session. The show states that during half of the six-week session, Boozer was out of town practicing and playing with the U.S. team competing in the World Championship for Young Men.

Rojstaczer, however, said that independent-study courses run the gamut in terms of difficulty - for athletes and non-athletes alike. Some independent-study courses require constant contact with the professor; others require little more than a paper at the end of the session.

'This idea that somehow summer school is by its nature easier than the rest of the year is vastly oversimplified,' Kennedy said. 'There are things about it that make it more conducive to students doing well - there's nothing else going on, there's nothing else to do. You're not playing or practicing, so your time is all your own.

'So the context of summer school might make it more conducive to doing good work, but I don't believe the courses themselves are easier.'

Rojstaczer told The Herald-Sun last week that he believes the system, not the athletes, are to blame for the difficulty schools have balancing athletics and academi! cs.

He said that men's basketball players are expected to concentrate on their sport year-round, making it all but impossible for them to concentrate their energies on academics.

'It's a system that is set up for failure,' Rojstaczer said. 'They have a full-time job; what do you expect them to do?

'There aren't enough hours in the day.'

Guest JJBrickface

I say a lot of athletes take an Independent Study course. I took two during my time in college. At the end of each one I had to turn in a portfolio but at the same time I was required to work a set amount of hours to gain credit. There is nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

Christian will admit it himself that he was a hot headed player while at Duke. People get caught up in the moment. And i truthfully dont think that Gerald Henderson went out on the court last season and said to himself that he was going to break hansboroughs nose. Duke-UNC is always a physical game. And when you are falling and another player is going up it is going to make a hit even harder. Yes Henderson is a physical player and he has to be when he is in the post to make up for his size. And the whole conversation between Coach K and Dean Smith is another example of the intensity during a duke- unc game. When there is that much on the line in the biggest rivalry in sports there are going to be a lot of emotions shown.

the footage of Laetner isnt of his whole body, its of his foot. It would be better to judge if you could see his whole body to indicate whether he actually stomped him or was in fact trying to catch balance. By seeing his entire body you could tell what he was doing by his body language and by the way he would be moving.

Gerald Henderson should have been suspended, but do I think he did it on purpose, no. Like 72 said, Henderson is a physical player and kinda has to be because of his size when he plays downlow, and also the Carolina/Duke game is a very physical game always, I really dont think he went out there on the court with a purpose to break his nose and make him cry. He went up for the ball and fell very, very hard and came down, very very hard. He is an extremely physical player and should have been suspended for that, intentional or not, because it would teach him to not come down like that onto players. To compare his actions to those of Deron Washingtons is absurd. Washington straight kicked a dude in the face, pulled Kyle Singler down from behind while he was running and takes flops out stumbles out of nowhere just to maybe get some sympathy. Im aware that the latter of those examples has nothing to do with his violence on the court but it does have to do with his poor sportsmanship and overall attitude and disrespect to the game of basketball. Comparing the actions of Henderson, who plays physical because he pretty much has to against almost always larger oponents, to a guy who will kick people in the face while their on the ground, that is stupid. there is no comparison.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

the footage of Laetner isnt of his whole body, its of his foot. It would be better to judge if you could see his whole body to indicate whether he actually stomped him or was in fact trying to catch balance. By seeing his entire body you could tell what he was doing by his body language and by the way he would be moving.

Gerald Henderson should have been suspended, but do I think he did it on purpose, no. Like 72 said, Henderson is a physical player and kinda has to be because of his size when he plays downlow, and also the Carolina/Duke game is a very physical game always, I really dont think he went out there on the court with a purpose to break his nose and make him cry. He went up for the ball and fell very, very hard and came down, very very hard. He is an extremely physical player and should have been suspended for that, intentional or not, because it would teach him to not come down like that onto players. To compare his actions to those of Deron Washingtons is absurd. Washington straight kicked a dude in the face, pulled Kyle Singler down from behind while he was running and takes flops out stumbles out of nowhere just to maybe get some sympathy. Im aware that the latter of those examples has nothing to do with his violence on the court but it does have to do with his poor sportsmanship and overall attitude and disrespect to the game of basketball. Comparing the actions of Henderson, who plays physical because he pretty much has to against almost always larger oponents, to a guy who will kick people in the face while their on the ground, that is stupid. there is no comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was comparing Laettner to Washington, not henderson. But as for henderson, he fouled hansbrough like that with 14 seconds left... the game was clearly over, it was a violent action in frustration. He went in there looking to foul Hansbrough hard and he succeeded. It was violent and unneccesary.

but to the point i was making when i was comparing Deron to christian, Christian latenerr says this now about the issue from espn classic...

"I thought he had pushed me on the other end of the court. It was just a stupid reaction-type thing. And sure I wanted to stomp a lot harder but I knew that would be really, really dumb." - Christian Laettner

and this..."If I wanted to break his ribs, I would have,"

but ask coach k about the issue when it was brought up after the henderson issue...

Doyel: Mike, you made it clear after the game and just now, some conduct is unacceptable and you would hold your players to higher standards and all that ... um, I'm just wondering, how many games did you suspend Christian Laettner for when he stomped on Aminu Timberlake?

Coach K: Well, you want ... first of all ... would you call that a stomp?

Doyel: Absolutely. I've seen it over and over.

Coach K: Okay. Well, then my judgment and yours differ.

Doyel: I got some glasses ... I mean, are you serious?

Coach K: Okay. So, you ... you ... I'm not going to get in with you because you would always want something controversial (laughs nervously) so...

Doyel: I just like the truth sometimes that's all.

Coach K: No ... believe me, there's nobody who likes the truth more than me. And, uh, after the season we'll talk about, you know, 1992; I'd rather talk about 2007 right now.

and if you want to listen to the audio... http://www.ocsn.com/media_server/play.sm...ele070305du.asx

it starts at 7:30. He has yet to talk about the incident and the season is over... and still denies the incident while laetnerr admits it...

you can also hear him say earlier in the press conference where Gerald is the victim of the incident, not Tyler. He thinks "G" as he calls him did nothing wrong... wow.

First of all - I don't think Washington tripped Singler on purpose, and I think he got pushed in the incident with Nelson. With that said, all the talk about Coach K - if you don't respect what he has accomplished - you are an imbecile. If you don't like the way he has done it - that is fine because that is your opinion. I like Coach K, and it doesn't bother me when people talk about him - it does bother me when people act like he hasn't accomplished anything in his career at Duke. Now, Greenberg's comment bothered me - I think that he should have shown more control and professionalism in his comments - all coaches, good and bad, get vocal when coaching in a game, but after the game the really good ones never lose control (interviews/locker room/etc.). Again with Coach K, Im sure he does cuss often - but tell me that Gary Williams doesn't....nobody questions him, but then again he hasn't won as many games as Coach K