tbgfan

ajc.com > Sports > UGA

SEC FOOTBALL MEDIA DAYS

Gators, Meyer still miffed by UGA's celebration

Florida coach says neither he nor team will forget 'big deal'

By CHIP TOWERS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/23/08

Birmingham — In his new book, "Urban's Way," which is scheduled for a September release, Florida coach Urban Meyer makes it clear that Georgia's excessive celebration following its opening touchdown last season was a "big deal" and something that will be in his mind "forever."

"That wasn't right. It was a bad deal," Meyer says in the book, which is scheduled for a September release. "And it will forever be in the mind of Urban Meyer and in the mind of our football team. ... So we'll handle it. And it's going to be a big deal."

The Gators' coach did not back off those statements Wednesday during SEC Football Media Days.

"It was uncalled for," he said. "First of all it's against the rules. If you really look at it, some players could have been thrown out the game for leaving the bench.

"As for the impact on the game ... I understand the motivation of it. It was a big deal. It was just a big deal."

Prior to the Oct. 27 game, Georgia coach Mark Richt told his team he wanted to see them draw a penalty for excessive celebration when the Bulldogs scored their first touchdown. The strategy created controvery following the Bulldogs' 42-30 victory.

Quarterback Tim Tebow was asked how that episode might impact this year's game, scheduled for Nov. 1 in Jacksonville. Both teams have received first-place votes in preseason polls.

"I think it will definitely intensify it that much more," Tebow said. "I think it will be a very big game, to say the least. It could be two of the best teams in the country playing for the right to play in the SEC championship and maybe for the national championship. They're a huge rival of ours, and I think that just increased that much more this past year. I think that will inspire us that much more.

"As far the touchdown dance in the end zone, it didn't do anything but fire me up. I wasn't upset or anything. It was a good call by Coach [Mark] Richt because that changed their season. It gave their players a spark and some energy and something to be passionate about. Whether it was right or wrong is not up to me to say. Good for them."

Vote for this story!

More on ajc.com

Tiki Barber, Frommer's authors and Salman Rushdie to appear at National Book Fest

RICHT RESPONDS TO MR. GATOR....

Richt: UGA win, not penalty, renewed Fla. rivalry

Bulldogs' coach responds to Meyer's comments about 'bad deal' celebration

By CHIP TOWERS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/24/08

Hoover, Ala. — Georgia won't play Florida for another 99 days. But Bulldogs coach Mark Richt found himself talking an awful lot about the Gators during his time on the podium for SEC Football Media Days on Thursday.

That's because Florida coach Urban Meyer recently resurrected the controversy about Georgia's now infamous touchdown celebration at the beginning of the their game last year. The Bulldogs were assessed two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties when the entire team left the bench and rushed to the end zone to celebrate Georgia's opening score in the 42-30 victory at Alltell Stadium.

"I don't think there's any doubt it's intensified the rivalry," Richt said Thursday. "But what intensified the rivalry is that we won. OK? I mean, that's the reality."

After the game in Jacksonville, Richt confessed that he had instructed his team to get a celebration penalty as a motivational tactic "to create energy and enthusiasm."

In a new book that will be released in September, "Urban's Way," Meyer calls the move "a bad deal" that he will "never forget" and threatens retribution this year. Meyer stood behind those remarks when he addressed the media here on Wednesday.

As a result, the 12th question Richt fielded from reporters here Thursday morning was about the celebration. The discussion remained on the topic for several minutes.

Richt recounted in great detail the reasoning that led to his decision to conjure the celebration, which was essentially to create the energy and enthusiasm he felt was missing in previous games against Tennessee and Vanderbilt.

"Now, I'm thinking in my mind, my little pea brain, 11 guys in the game, score a touchdown, 11 guys jump up and down and celebrate until the official throws the flag," Richt said Thursday. "That was my intention."

Richt said he did not stop to consider the dangers of such a tactic and expressed the same regrets as he did in a letter to SEC Commissioner the week after the game last fall. He also reminded reporters that he called Meyer the day after the game, explained his reasoning and apologized.

"In hindsight, I asked the team to do an unsportsmanlike act," Richt said Thursday. "It's called unsportsmanlike conduct, excessive celebration. In hindsight, I shouldn't have done it. I won't do anything like that again. It could have easily turned into a big stupid brawl and everything else. That's as truthful as I can tell you what happened."

Richt did not, however, express any concern for how the ploy may motivate the Gators for this year's Nov. 1 matchup in Jacksonville. The Bulldogs lead the 104-year-old series 47-37-2 but Florida fans tend to cite the last 18 games of which the Gators have won 15.

"You know, people want to talk about streaks in that game. The way I see it, we won last year. We won two out of the last four," Richt said. "And if you want to start going back in history, you might as well go back to the beginning of the history of the series and see where Georgia is there. I don't know why everybody wants to go just 15 games back. I mean, if you want to go back, go back to the beginning. If you want to talk about recent history, let's talk about last year, the last few games, you know."