What about LEE?

tizzanner51

No one is talking about lee... didnt anyone watch the game last friday against pv. they both played a good game even though lee lost they are a changed team and i beleave they are a team to watch this year...

you have a point.either PV is in a rebuilding year or LEE has a good team.

no im pretty sure there not it dosent matter they only have 34 varsity players

Better look again then. Honaker is the smallest D2 school in Region D with 400 studnets, if Lee has over 800, then they're twice the size of the entire Cumberland and Black Diamond districts and 2/3's of the LPD. They shouldn't even be single A, at least not in this area. They're bigger than most AA schools around here. 34 varsity players?? ONLY 34 VARSITY? So thats not including JV? That's more than most teams in SWVA dude. Even if it was 34 altogether its as many as probably half the schools. They were decent in the late 90's, why is this program so awful that it has to drop classifications to earn any respect?

Better look again then. Honaker is the smallest D2 school in Region D with 400 studnets, if Lee has over 800, then they're twice the size of the entire Cumberland and Black Diamond districts and 2/3's of the LPD. They shouldn't even be single A, at least not in this area. They're bigger than most AA schools around here. 34 varsity players?? ONLY 34 VARSITY? So thats not including JV? That's more than most teams in SWVA dude. Even if it was 34 altogether its as many as probably half the schools. They were decent in the late 90's, why is this program so awful that it has to drop classifications to earn any respect?

They used travel time as an excuse. Did not seem to bother them when they would travel to Blacksburg for indoor track every week, when they had a heck of a track team. Travel became an issue when they started to go down hill in the other sports.

You had better look again. Honaker has around 440 students. If Honaker had 400 then Lee would be twice the size of them and the could appeal and drop to D-1 status. Considering there are only 7 AA schools "around here" and about 3 fall below single A status and choose to play up....that's not a good one to throw out. Also 3 of those are bigger than Lee, Richlands is not much smaller. Some of those may be looking to drop down to single A at some point soon anyway. Heck, with consolidation, there's going to be even more twice the size of the CD and BDD schools, it doesn't take much with those schools falling off.

The program isn't awful, now. Why is it that Lee had to drop because football was bad???? Other sports were doing just fine and still are. The program became "so awful" as you put it, because they had a drop off in talent and a good long time coach in Don Williams retired, leaving Lee in a search for another coach. As most know, they didn't do a very good job of finding someone else to do a good job, they had about 4 or 5 coaching changes through that time up until Bobby Sanders was hired. It didn't what classification they were in, they still were going to be bad, being single A wasn't going to help it (interesting that was mentioned considering the strength of some of the single A schools). They were getting beat by single A schools then...Gate City, Powell Valley, Lebanon, etc.

Edited by Beamerball

They used travel time as an excuse. Did not seem to bother them when they would travel to Blacksburg for indoor track every week, when they had a heck of a track team. Travel became an issue when they started to go down hill in the other sports.

And they went to Pulaski Co. once in football too...so. That's indoor track... Travel became an issue OVERALL when the Highlands started to fall apart. Pretty sure there used to be more teams in it, correct me if I'm wrong? ;) And most recently to escalate the problem, Va High was heading out, with Marion and Abingdon wanting to join the SWD, it was looking like Lee was going to have to join the SWD (which would've really made travel bad) with them or trying another shot at dropping to "A". What were these other sports that went "downhill"? Sports they've been good at, still are, and the ones they been bad at...still are. With the exception of a couple, like football and baseball is improving, but both due to changes in coaching and such.

No one is talking about lee... didnt anyone watch the game last friday against pv. they both played a good game even though lee lost they are a changed team and i beleave they are a team to watch this year...

You'll find more discussion on them on the Clinch Mountain forum or the LPD board..and apparently a better way to avoid where this topic is going too ;) Nah, they can stay with it, but you will be able to more there, just not as much on here that know a lot about them.

CMD

http://z8.invisionfree.com/Clinch_Mtn_District/index.php?act=idx

LPD

http://www.hostboard.com/LDPforum/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/1/page/1

As for what I think. It was a very good game, one of the better ones in a while. Penalties were a bit of a problem and hopefully the o-line will improve as the season goes on. They just got to cap off those drives with a score. That's a lot of yardage to have and not put points up, however, give a lot of credit to PV's defense for stepping it up when it counted. They've got some good players back and some coming up, I think they'll pull through for a pretty good season at least.

Edited by Beamerball

Maybe they should "unsolidate" and make two decently sized A schools. Region D needs the numbers and my knowledge of that area isn't that great, but I'm pretty sure Pennington Gap and Jonesville have had seperate high schools before.

Of course that is not a serious suggestion, but a thought none-the-less.

Speaking of which, Beamerball, when those old high schools were around, what were their colors and mascots? Just out of curiosity...

That was a consideration before the consolidating all 5 of the schools. They had thought about having a "Lee West" and "Lee East" scenario but it didn't go through, and I think Thomas Walker's decision to keep their school may have played a role in that. Speaking of consolidation and all that, Wise County is currently fighting a battle over it, but three of the towns don't want it while the rest do. If they went through with it, then that would shake things up some, I believe depending on how they did it there would be a school two the size of or larger than Lee. And of course, consolidation is a rumor in just about every county over here with the population decrease county-wide and in the schools. The idea you mention has been tossed around since, but with all that I wouldn't do it, not to mention they shouldn't do that to themselves just because everyone else is falling off and having to consider it. Can't blame them for not seeing this all happening back then.

Pennington was the Bobcats. The colors were black and gold...what they are now with the middle school.

Middle school

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeei54i/bobcatfootball20072/index.html

Pennington High

http://www.theoldbobcats.741.com/bob7.jpg

http://www.theoldbobcats.741.com/bobcat1.jpg

Jonesville was the Bulldogs. I'm assuming their colors were blue and gold (or maybe its yellow) like they are now also with the middle school.

http://www.leectysch.com/JM/Default.htm

Edited by Beamerball

The way highways in VA are and were Lee Co. is makes travel very long and hard for them and their opponents in the AA class. Lee could go to Knoxville to play games and be closer than most AA schools in SWVA. KY schools are much closer as well.

I miss the Pennington and Jonesville high schools and wish it was still the same but Lee High has it's advantages as well. The Lee High School Marching Band is just awesome and the school was built for what 1,300+- students so it has plenty of room for concerts and local/state functions within the building.

That being said, I think Lee is on their way to having a competive football team each week and that's a good feeling for us who have held out hoping they would eventually overcome the turmoil that ruined Lee High School Football for years. Lee will be fine as long as the "Higher Powers" will let the coach do what he is suppose to-----COACH!

It's hard to be competitve when you've had a new head coach on an average of every 3 1/2 years. The talent is there at Lee but most wouldn't play after middle school for many reasons but hopefully that will continue to change.

That was a consideration before the consolidating all 5 of the schools. They had thought about having a "Lee West" and "Lee East" scenario but it didn't go through, and I think Thomas Walker's decision to keep their school may have played a role in that. Speaking of consolidation and all that, Wise County is currently fighting a battle over it, but three of the towns don't want it while the rest do. If they went through with it, then that would shake things up some, I believe depending on how they did it there would be a school two the size of or larger than Lee. And of course, consolidation is a rumor in just about every county over here with the population decrease county-wide and in the schools. The idea you mention has been tossed around since, but with all that I wouldn't do it, not to mention they shouldn't do that to themselves just because everyone else is falling off and having to consider it. Can't blame them for not seeing this all happening back then.

Pennington was the Bobcats. The colors were black and gold...what they are now with the middle school.

Middle school

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeei54i/bobcatfootball20072/index.html

Pennington High

http://www.theoldbobcats.741.com/bob7.jpg

http://www.theoldbobcats.741.com/bobcat1.jpg

Jonesville was the Bulldogs. I'm assuming their colors were blue and gold (or maybe its yellow) like they are now also with the middle school.

http://www.leectysch.com/JM/Default.htm

Yeah I agree, hopefully things will look up for the community as a whole.. not just for Lee's football program.

And, I couldn't get your Pennington High links to work, but looks as tho the Middle School had a good team last year, speaks well for the up-and-coming Lee squads.

Sorry about that, I was trying to direct link to those two pics (one because they were the only with color I think and two because the site has a bit of a pop-up problem, as its probably been around a while).

http://www.theoldbobcats.741.com/

*You'll have to close the first pop-up if it shows up, then on the left hand side scroll down if there's just adds there and the links to the pics should be down through there. Its just some old Bobcat pictures and articles from newspapers.

Don't think this one doesn't has any pics, just the past records....

http://www.penningtonhighschool.com/

The middle school team did have a good team this past season. Dropped that first game badly but played them very well the second time in the championship game. One of those players is starting for Lee this year (was the running back that had over 120 yards).

Let Lee go play in Ky. Every school hates the drive to Lee County. Even Gate City and they are at the back door.

45 minutes away isn't exactly at their "back door". And who are they going to play in KY that's closer? Harlan Co.? And? Middlesboro and Bell County are like going to Gate City, actually a longer trip. You say every school hates going to Lee, at least they only have to come here once, wonder how Lee feels? Powell Valley doesn't have much of a drive, guess they hate it too though. And the drive to places like GC and Wise certainly isn't bad. What makes the drive so bad? But hey its good to know that its bad for them and must not be so bad for Lee to make a return trip or go anywhere else. I thought the plan was for SWVA to break off from the state anyway, guess we won't be alone :D

Edited by Beamerball

Hey, its bad for Lee to. Those kids having to travel to VA. High for a track meet on a Wed and then trying to get back home for school the next day. It just isn't a good way for anybody. At least for Football season you are off on Sat. For the other sports that are held on school nights this is a terrible problem(track, v-ball, wrestling, b-ball)

Edited by Boo77

I would hate to come to lee to just becasue i wouldnt like the bus ride home with a loss that would suck just because it is so far... lol

Trust me brother it does!!! Same thing coming back from Grundy in either 95 or 96 from I think a regional game. Lee to Abingdon or Grundy to Abingdon after a loss was definitely a good time to find a window and try to catch some sleep for the long, QUIET, ride home.