BDT Article on JM-Scott

MavsRock

James Monroe 19, Scott 7

MADISON—James Monroe compiled only 63 yards on offense, but took advantage of 10 Scott turnovers to improve to 3-1 on the season.

Taylor Robertson ran for a nine-yard touchdown in the first quarter for the early lead, but the Skyhawks answered with a touchdown of their own.

That only lasted for seconds, with Nick Kisiel returned the ensuing kick for an 81-yard touchdown. James Monroe added its final score late in the half on a 15-yard scoring pass from John Ballengee to Tanner Tuggle.

James Monroe picked off six passes and recovered four Scott fumbles on a wet night in Boone County.

James Monroe (3-1), which reportedly has 39 passing yards and 24 through the air, will travel next Friday to Wyoming East.

I didn't get to go are listen to this one, but I don't think we've ever one a game uglier than this. 63 yds of offense and one by 2 TD, boy Scott's gotta be feeling pretty crumy right now. No lie, last year we had our worst defensive performance in a win in school history, Jordan Roberts ran for over 250 yds, fortunatly Taylor Robertson ran for 355 and the Mavs won a 55-32 shootout. What a difference a graduation made.

What stuck out to me was the turnovers, how in the world do you throw 6 interceptions in a game? Obviously our secondary has made some improvement. Offensively, we've gotta start getting into the end zone because this isn't going to cut it forever. Who'd have though at this point in the season we would have only scored at least 20 one time, and we'd be 3-1. Honestly the last 3 games have all been pretty ugly one way or the other but at least they've been wins. We've just got to keep improving, it's not going to get any easier from here.

The response to "a win is a win" and that they only had 63 total yards of offense. I was just stating that if they plan to be successful, they need to work on a few things because only generating 63 total yards and using 10 turnovers won't happen through the year. I wish the best of luck to the Mavericks and I look forward to a great game with them come Halloween night.

Obviously, they have to get a lot better. But my point is, when you're struggling that much offensively, yet you still manage to pull out a win, take it and run. Stealing a win here just may enable them to get into the playoffs. If they improve enough during the season, maybe they can make a little bit of noise in November.

Thats a good point. I was thinking that same way with Bluefield's win this week against Oak Hill; Oak Hill is not a good team, but the Beavers played well and got a W in the books. That's something they should take and run with.