James Monroe vs. Narrows

gomavs

Typically I only get to see Narrows play once a season, but the team I watched play last night was one of the better Narrows teams I've seen in a while. I think last night showed why these two teams still play each other. Huge crowd. Good atmosphere. Good sportsmanship. I saw several times where a player would help the opposing player up, even as late as the second half when things were on the line. To sum it up, a hard fought, defensive battle. I did not expect to see the maveroosky play that James Monroe pulled when they were punting out of their own end zone. That had "what are you thinking?!" written all over it, but it worked. I appreciate trick plays thrown in at the least expected time. The crazier the better because when they work, they can change the course of a game. When they don't, then you hunker down and continue to play the defensive game you have been playing. Good luck to Narrows the rest of the season. You will definitely win more games.

Narrows is definetly a better team, talked to Coach Jackson a bit before Mel King's funeral yesterday, he felt Narrows out-played us and want it more, he's probably right. Turnovers and the procedure penalty on the goal ine did Narrows in or they probably would've pulled it off.

Coach thinks alot of the problem is most of our guys just got used as human tackling dummies buy the last couple of teams we've had, and it's hard to actually get them excited about anything.

Offensively the only thing I liked was the drive that got the FG at the end of the half, we exicuted the 2-min drill real good and the 10-15 yd passes worked real well, maybe that's something we can build on.

Defensively, real good against the run, C- against the pass. Not going to mention names but we've still got at least 1 DB that's killing us, and our back-up DE in the other night seemed half-hearted rushing the passer, he could've had at least 3-4 sacks if he'd wanted them.

Gotta start playing with some fire boys, it doesn't get any easier from here.

Something sure seems to be missing this year. No excitement. No passion. No something. Coach Witt was high strung and would throw his fits on the sideline (which I always enjoyed watching) and I know some don't respond well to that, but at this point in the season based on what I've seen, I'm starting to wonder if maybe the team didn't feed somewhat off of that and play with more emotion themselves. I agree with you 100% on the drive right before the half. That was a very nice drive. The thought that crossed my mind then was if they can do that in just a little over a minute, then why do they look as though they are struggling the rest of the game.

In the two games I've managed to watch this season, it seems like the offensive unit is just completely unsure of what they are doing. They seem to be thinking way too much and that is taking away their aggression.

On the emotion aspect, I never really thought Jackson's teams were particularly emotional, and the current staff is pretty tame on the sidelines. You need an emotional leader on the field, and I'm not sure they have that this year.

I think it's more the fact that we lost our entire o-line. Our line this year is young and inexperienced and about 50 to 60 pounds lighter per man then last year. That is alot to overcome in a short period of time.I must say that the defense has done a pretty solid job up to this point. Hopefully we continue to see some improvement as the season goes on.Our JV is having success with wins over bluefield and princeton to this point. Maybe in the next year or so we can be a serious threat again. The main thing is just go out and do the best we can and finish strong. Regardless what happens i'ii will be there cheering them on! GO MAVS

that is the fire in kids seeing alot of that in area..not much fire...kids are spoiled and hunger for nothing in today's society.

The lack of heart and pride is awful with some of these kids today. I'm not talking about any one area, just in general. In small areas when you don't have 50 on the sideline, it affects the TEAM. Let's quit trying to baby these boys in school and life and make them toughen up. Society wants to baby these kids from elementary on up.

Numbers aren't the problem @ JM; I do think Kevin is right, the line is undergoing major rebuilding, and I know after the Wayne game (first of the season) some JM "fans" were telling the players just how awful they were. Some morale builder, huh? Oh well, maybe we can hang tough the rest of the season and see what happens. I agree, GO MAVS!

Numbers aren't the problem @ JM; I do think Kevin is right, the line is undergoing major rebuilding, and I know after the Wayne game (first of the season) some JM "fans" were telling the players just how awful they were. Some morale builder, huh? Oh well, maybe we can hang tough the rest of the season and see what happens. I agree, GO MAVS!

I think the rebuilding is the major thing. As far as emotion that someone mentioned, last year's team wasn't that emotional either, at least I didn't think, so the coach didn't have that much to do with it.

1998 & 99 were by far the most "fired up" teams we've had and those were under most of the same coaches.

What's missed in all this is the defense has had a pretty good year, especially with the interceptions, just the offense isn't scoring 40 ppg.

We're in a rebuilding year, no doubt about that, may be next year too, but the boys will eventually come around, hopefully sooner than later.

I think the rebuilding is the major thing. As far as emotion that someone mentioned, last year's team wasn't that emotional either, at least I didn't think, so the coach didn't have that much to do with it.

1998 & 99 were by far the most "fired up" teams we've had and those were under most of the same coaches.

What's missed in all this is the defense has had a pretty good year, especially with the interceptions, just the offense isn't scoring 40 ppg.

We're in a rebuilding year, no doubt about that, may be next year too, but the boys will eventually come around, hopefully sooner than later.

agreed on 98 and 99

I don't think the coach has a great deal to do with the emotion either. I think in the 98-99 years you had great on field leadership from Ben Thornton among other guys. Last year the emotional leader always seemed to me to be Zach Mann. This years team at this point just doesn't seem to have that emotional leader. It'll happen eventually, but someone will have to grow into that role.

I'll be at home all day tomorrow. I'll give you a call before 1 if I can remember.

Yeah, it seems kind of fitting to me that the JM/Bluefield game this year is on Halloween. It could be, well....scary.

I'll be at home all day tomorrow. I'll give you a call before 1 if I can remember.

Yeah, it seems kind of fitting to me that the JM/Bluefield game this year is on Halloween. It could be, well....scary.

So u think James monroe is gonna beat us that bad??? gosh AC i knew u were a homer from workin with u for over 2 1/2 years but geez man give the beavers some respect LMAO