And Blacksburg rejoiced...

GMan

http://www.newsadvance.com/lna/sports/college/university_of_virginia/article/littlepage_groh_will_be_back_next_year1/10376/

Littlepage: Groh will be back next year

By Jeff White

Media General News Service

Published: November 10, 2008

CHARLOTTESVILLE — University of Virginia athletic director Craig Littlepage was emphatic last night when asked about the 2009 football season.

“Al Groh will be our head coach,” Littlepage said in an exchange of e-mails with the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

That will be the case, Littlepage confirmed, even if UVa loses its final two regular-season games to finish with a losing record for the second time in three years.

Groh “and his staff have done a good job and our team has responded well,” Littlepage said. “We have great wins against ranked teams and we’re in the mix for divisional and conference championships.”

After losing three of its first four games this season, Virginia won four straight to take over first place in the ACC’s Coastal Division. UVa’s victims during that streak — Maryland, East Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia Tech — all have been nationally ranked at some point this season.

Since then, however, the Cavaliers have dropped two in a row to fall to fifth in the Coastal.

This is Groh’s eighth season as coach at his alma mater. His record with the Cavaliers is 56-42 overall and 34-28 in ACC games. He’s twice been named ACC coach of the year, most recently in 2007. After finishing 5-7 in 2006, Virginia went 9-4 last season.

Groh’s contract runs through the 2011 season. It would cost UVa more than $5 million to dismiss Groh, 64, after this season.

Virginia (3-3, 5-5), off this weekend, hosts ACC rival Clemson (2-4, 4-5) at Scott Stadium on Nov. 22. UVa closes the regular season against Virginia Tech (3-2, 6-3) at Lane Stadium on Nov. 29.

As the Cavaliers’ coach, Groh has a 1-6 record against the Hokies, and the losses often have been one-sided.

Man, I thought Stinespring had been fired with that title...

Sorry to disappoint you...if that were the case, the title would have been more like

WOOHOO!!!! NO MORE BS...

:D

I didn't even have to read the message. Thank goodness I heard about this last night and had a day to brace myself.

And if UVA somehow manages to knock off the Hokies, and better yet, spoil their ACC championship dreams, this post will be the first I quote...

You know, I have a feeling that VT will beat Miami and Duke to set up the big game in Blacksburg and then the Hoos pull the upset...I hope its just gas...:D...

You know, I have a feeling that VT will beat Miami and Duke to set up the big game in Blacksburg and then the Hoos pull the upset...I hope its just gas...:D...

You have a stronger feeling than I. ;)

But wouldn't it be typical UVA to lose to Clemson and then upset VT when we have absolutely nothing to lose?

Well, it's not typical for us to upset VT. But you know what I mean. UVA does well in games that have little on the line for us.

Edited by UVAObserver