November 14, 1970...

bluefieldRocks

Sad day for all West Virginians.

On a rainy hill side in Wayne County, West Virginia, the lives of 75 people were lost in the worst single air tragedy in NCAA sports history. Among the losses were nearly the entire Marshall University football team, coaches, flight crew, numerous fans, and supporters. The event marked a boundary by which an entire community would forever measure time... before or after "The Crash". This site is a memorial to the lives that were lost on that evening; to honor those men and women who made a mark in the hearts of a school, a community and a nation.

fountain.jpg

Very classy post, Rocks, and nice avatar too!

It is a sad day in Huntington and everyone has come to remember those Sons of Marshall who were killed in the plane crash. I attended the Memorial service earlier today at the fountain and it really is truly amazing how many people come from all over just to be a part of this ceremony and pay their respects. I can't imagine this place 38 years ago and the hard times they had dealing with it, but I do know that it still brings a strong sense of togetherness in the community even today and it is seen yearly on this date.

The following link I am posting is my favorite part of the movie "We Are Marshall" and quite possibly one of my favorite scenes in any movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDBAxgs7TEE

Great post, it's moments like these that transcend sports altogether.

Always remember that day...

There is more to life than just football, I'm sure you all know that i'm a WVU fan but I went to a Marshall game last year for the first time and I cannot express in words how it felt to see the fountain and see where thousands of people have stood there before to honor their friends, brothers, team mates, moms,dads, just everything you could possibly imagine. Then actually going to a game at Joan C. Edwards stadium and being there as a Marshall fan especially when they started the "WE ARE...MARSHALL" chant. I've been to quite a few NCAAF games in my life, I've saw Pat White run for a 50 yard TD to beat Louisville last year, I've saw WVU ranked #2 in the country on the verge of being in the National Title game, and lose that, I've saw Steve Slaton, Darius Reynaud, Pat White, Noel devine make some of the best plays i've ever saw in my life sitting inside Milan Puskar stadium but being in Huntington,WV and seeing all the history that has happened there, well, words really can't describe it. It's like a whole other sense of pride the people and students of Marshall have. One of the coolest yet saddening experiences of my life.

Well, I understand tragedy as well as anyone. It's great to see that Marshall has rebounded from tragedy while still acknowledging the tragedy in such a respectful way after all these years. That is one thing that I am fearful of; that people won't honor those who lost their lives in Tech's tragedy in more than a simply-have-respect manner. That day hurt. I know November 14, 1970 hurt many people. I'm encouraged to see that you all are acknowledging their hurt by attempting to sympathize with them, and I hope that can translate Tech's tragedy in the next couple of years.

My thoughts are with those affected by the Marshall tragedy. I understand what it is like to lose those close to me in a way that "shouldn't have happened".... whatever that means.