Groh out at UVA...

GMan

Well, Mike Groh anyway...

http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=88791&SPID=10606&DB_OEM_ID=17800&ATCLID=3630211

Statement from Al Groh regarding the UVa football program

“Since the end of the season, I have done the annual review of every aspect of our program in order to make our plans to move forward to the next season. Part of that moving forward will involve changes in our systems and staff.

The change in systems will be made to utilize the player talent available to us from our current roster and incoming players, and the changes in the staff will be made to accommodate those schemes. Accordingly, Michael Groh, Steve Bernstein and Levern Belin will step down from their positions. Steve will retire and Mike and Levern will pursue career opportunities.

These men have served Virginia football with commitment, integrity and loyalty and I appreciate them and their efforts. There are no scapegoats here, the head coach is responsible for the team.

Bob Pruett will move to the position of assistant head coach/defense with Bob Diaco becoming defensive coordinator. Anthony Poindexter will move from running backs to defensive secondary.

We are excited about the options and opportunities open to our team and the positive energy they will generate.”

Groh will not comment further on the current staff vacancies until they are filled. He will immediately begin a national search to complete the Cavalier football staff.

I'm not too upset about Mike leaving, he is an "interesting fellow." But Levern Belin is a heck of a football coach and mentor, I am super upset that he is leaving the program he did nothing but good things for the likes of Chris Long and Jeffery Fitzgerald. I am behind any decision Groh makes right now because he really needs to turn last years unconsistent season around.

Basically, this cures the symptoms and not the disease. Poindexter should've been the secondary coach all along, though, and I'm finally glad they got that one right. I'm a bit surprised at Belin's dismissal as well; certainly it can't be his idea to cling to the 3-4 system that's made our run defense look as soft as cotton candy. Also, I'm surprised at Pruett's "promotion" to associate head coach. He was finally starting to make some strides near the end of the season at DC. Do you realize that UVA didn't give up more than 30 the entire second half of the season?

Just a series of random moves that delays the inevitable. It's all on Al Groh now. 1 more bad season, and it's his head next.

I would've posted on this much earlier, but I'm right in the middle of exams. 2 down, 3 to go, at least!