Virginia Police Hunt Suspect Who Shot Officer, Neighbors

bhs7695

I had wondered what was going on when several state police cars went flying up I81 a little bit ago toward Wytheville.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,467804,00.html

DRAPER, Va. — Authorities searched in two Virginia counties Tuesday for a man suspected of shooting two neighbors — one fatally — and a sheriff's deputy.

A woman also was injured when she apparently jumped from the second story of a house to escape a fire that authorities believe was connected to the shootings.

Virginia State Police Sgt. Michael Conroy said police were searching in Wythe and Pulaski counties for Douglas Albert Jaccard, 58, of the Draper area of Wythe County.

Houses in the area were evacuated. Five schools in Wythe County were locked down, but school officials said all students were safe.

Jaccard's neighbors were shot about 7:45 a.m. Tuesday, police said.

Conroy said when a Pulaski County deputy arrived at the scene, the suspect shot him and fled into a wooded area. He said the deputy was protected by a bulletproof vest.

Pulaski Community Hospital spokeswoman Nancy May said a woman was brought to the hospital about 10:45 a.m. with injuries from jumping out of a burning house.

The deputy was listed in stable condition at the hospital, and May said another shooting victim was transferred to a Roanoke hospital.

Shots were fired at two Wythe County sheriff's deputies but they were not injured, according to Chief Deputy Keith Dunagan of the Wythe County Sheriff's Office.

According to online court records, Jaccard was scheduled to enter a plea Wednesday in Wythe County Circuit Court to two counts of taking indecent liberties with a minor, abduction and possession of explosives by a convicted felon.

Click here for more coverage from MyFOXWVTV.com.

Edited by bhs7695

Guest JJBrickface

I was headed to Marion from Wytheville this morning and saw all the cops as well.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
They caught the crazy bastard tonight at his home...

Someone told me he was hiding in a cave in bland county lol

• 2 weeks later...