VA High Tourney Thoughts

tvp

The Virginia High Tourney is now in the books. The class of the tournament was, of course, the winner--Sullivan Central. They were very tough and were impressive. Not to mention they could shoot the lights out.

Teams that impressed other than SC had to be Lebanon and Twin Valley. Lebanon has a very athletic team and will do well in the CMD. Gate City will probably be their toughest competition. But I would have to give the nod to the Pioneers based on this weekend. I admit I haven't seen GC play, but I think they lost too much last from last year. Lebanon does have a weakness though--no shooters. Their only outside shooter is Cody Compton. He's good, but he can't do it all. Inside the Cobb kid is athletic as can be but not very physical. But all in all they're solid.

Twin Valley looked impressive in the tournament, with the exception of the Sullivan Central game. Foul trouble and a hot shooting opponent was too much to handle. But I don't think there is a team in D1 Single A that will even come close to SC. But I think playing a team like that will do them good. Looking ahead, and I know it sounds biased, but I really don't see anyone in Region D playing with them right now. VA High is a quality team but TV played them solid even after 9 days rest and 1 man short. With Shortridge coming back this week, TV will be tough to stop.

I gotta say something about Volunteer here. If you weren't at the tournament then this won't make sense, but this team had no class. In the TV game they just absolutely lost it. And showed signs of frustration against Lebanon on Saturday. This is supposedly a AAA school but lost to two A schools on back to back nights---and lost badly. I understand that refs sometimes aren't the best but to behave as they did in the TV game was just ridiculous!

Anyone got thoughts. . .?

I was impressed with Va High. They played a tough game against Twin Valley and the score was much closer than I thought considering what each team had coming back this year. Twin Valley should make it back to state. Most of the other teams (J.J. Kelly, Coeburn, Chilhowie, Marion, & Abingdon) looked mediocre and probably won't go very far in regional play unless they improve significantly. I would add that John Battle is probably the worst team in SWVA this year.